Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Canadian R/C Scene
2008 2nd Annual Chill Out (Kelowna) >

2008 2nd Annual Chill Out (Kelowna)

2008 2nd Annual Chill Out (Kelowna)

Old 02-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey everyone,
For the race I will just be running novice, and that is only if Jason is back from hill-billy hell. So all you boys better put on your big girl pants, and pack a box of tissues, and prepare to be girl beat again

I love smack talk!

Last edited by Nicki; 02-25-2008 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BulletMan
just my opinion on the 19T class.

[B][I]R.O.C.K. should make a "final decision" on the allowed motors by MARCH 1/08.
This gives everyone a chance to find, install, test ect the motors to be used at the CHILL OUT.

the LESS selection/choises the easier for all

Martin

I like that Idea too....and coming from a motor builders point of view....I'd go with everything all Brushed MOTORS!!!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Default New Motors Allowed

Just bare with me and give me a couple days to do some research. I am going to allow brushless motors at our race and have a final decision by end of week. One question I have is how many racers plan on using a brushless motor? is there enough to make a separate class?

I am looking at the resutls from the Mid Winter in Kamloops and it seems the brushless and brushed motors were fairly equal.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BulletMan
just my opinion on the 19T class.

R.O.C.K. should make a "final decision" on the allowed motors by MARCH 1/08.
This gives everyone a chance to find, install, test ect the motors to be used at the CHILL OUT.
If we are going to be watching every change ROAR does... then why not just run ROAR (only) rules.

I think that imput from motor builders is most valuable, Trent and Dwyne?

the LESS selection/choises the easier for all

Martin

Hey Guys,

Here's my 2 cents - take it for what it's worth. We have had both 13.5's and 10.5's on our new dyno here in T-Bang land, and from that, I can understand where a fair amount of the confusion is coming from!

This is what I believe to be true right now*:

13.5 = Slightly less power than good 19T brushed
10.5 = Slightly more power than good 19T brushed

I also believe this explains the confusion to a great deal on the national and ROAR level as well.

The idea behind making 13.5 the new "Super Stock" class is actually to slow things down a bit, as we all know that 19T has been rapidly approaching mod speeds of only a couple years ago. 13.5 is the new "19T Class" in the sense that it will be the new class that comes inbetween stock and mod. But, I don't believe anyone is trying to make any assertions that it is the equivalent of 19T speed or power wise.

What does that all mean? Well. Actually, it means that we are in a major transition phase right now. Unfortunately, it is not an easy transition because the "equivalence" between the different brushed and brushless powerplants is not a 1:1 type of thing. As 17.5T actually comes to market, we are likely to find some challenges with it's equivalence to a 27T brushed motor as well - the RPM and Torque curves between the two technologies will be radically different.

In this situation, I'm not sure how much wisdom and absolute truth I can offer. As Martin and Jesse have said, there is a great deal left to the discretion of race directors for events at this time. That's the honest bottom line right now, I think. It probably makes a lot of sense to put a date for a final decision on the class and approved motors as Martin said, and then just roll with that up to this race.

If it's of any interest/value, I certainly don't mind providing data plots of how the current T-Bang offerings stack up in terms of 13.5, 10.5, and brushed, although to be fair, our motors are not yet ROAR-approved as they are based on the Trinity DUO which hasn't found it's way onto the list yet.

* - We are constantly learning new things right now, so don't hold this as absolute truth, but I promise you that this is as accurate as I can be right now and should I uncover anything else, I will gladly correct myself!
Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jzone
I like that Idea too....and coming from a motor builders point of view....I'd go with everything all Brushed MOTORS!!!
I like that one too. Only because the rule-making process happening at the national levels is really laying a beating on us small motor builder folk. LRP and Novak are pretty unfriendly when it comes to OEM's.

Our stuff is all based off the Trinity motors, so I am hoping that Uncle Ernie will work his magic to get the little guys back into this game. I have this vision of Bob Novak stuffed in the trunk of a black Cadillac speeding down the New Jersey turnpike with Ernie Provetti at the wheel enjoying a cigar.

Anyhow. I digress. But, one can always dream.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Brushless

Thanks for all the good info Trent lots to talk about now
Old 02-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Tech Adept

I think that separating the 19t class would be a good idea. So have the brushless cars in one class by itself and allow any 10.5 motor and the brushed motor cars in another class. This would eliminate all the headaches of seeing which motors are Roar legal. So in a sense the 10.5 class is a spec 10.5 class which allows any 10.5 motor.

just my 2 cents

Alfred
Old 02-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

spliting the brushed and BL classes is going to make us end up with smaller classes, do we want that? I liked kamloops 19T all the way to the D mains.

My opinion is NO BL in 19T.

martin
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I for certain don't want to see a class diluted. It's way more fun when there is a class loaded in a race. The competitive blood flows thicker

I will run brushless or brushed, whatever is going to get me there faster....
Old 02-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Boundy
Here are the details for our race in March

LiPo's in a hard cases are allowed
Hi, Dan.

Someone asked me about this and I said I would check. Hard Case LiPo will be permitted in all classes?

Thanks!
Phil
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Gilligan
Hi, Dan.

Someone asked me about this and I said I would check. Hard Case LiPo will be permitted in all classes?

Thanks!
Phil
Dan... please only allow LiPo in MOD & Pro 10! there is a bigger voltage advantage over the Nims! Also, do we have a scale available to weigh the cars? LiPo are way light.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Brushless vs Brushed

Hey Guys

The only brushless car in the A-main that was significantly faster than the rest of us was Korgae running the 10.5, super awesome batteries, and cool nerves.

Racing against RJ with 10.5 agianst my C-type 19t, running the same car, setup and batteries, it was a tie he gained a little on the straight, and I gained a little on the infield. That said, RJ was probably running a little undergeared.

So basically, my vote is do the same as Kamloops, allowin the 'approved' 10.5 and 13.5 motors in 19t as of March 1st (or whenever). Giving everyone lots of time to get them selves sorted for the race. We can worry about 'ROAR's new definitions next year, and see what we want to follow.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Tech Initiate

luftster
frec67
personal 5473436
touring stock
Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Giuseppe
Hey Guys

The only brushless car in the A-main that was significantly faster than the rest of us was Korgae running the 10.5, super awesome batteries, and cool nerves.

Racing against RJ with 10.5 agianst my C-type 19t, running the same car, setup and batteries, it was a tie he gained a little on the straight, and I gained a little on the infield. That said, RJ was probably running a little undergeared.

So basically, my vote is do the same as Kamloops, allowin the 'approved' 10.5 and 13.5 motors in 19t as of March 1st (or whenever). Giving everyone lots of time to get them selves sorted for the race. We can worry about 'ROAR's new definitions next year, and see what we want to follow.
Well said Jason

I didn't think my 10.5 was any fast than any of the brushed 19T at this weekends race. But when I put my lipo in ,it seemed to be a little faster but looking at my lap times they wern't any faster really
Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gilligan
Hi, Dan.

Thanks!
Phil

Phil just wants to play with his new 20.5 mm LIPO Don't worry Phil they will be here next week and are ready to ROCK and ROll......

As far as 10.5 BL in 19 turn, The times in Kamloops were very similar and to be honest, I can't say that it was a clear advantage over brushed. It was very nice to not have to remove the motor all weekend.

This race, was the 1st race to allow BL and that in turn influenced the rule change @ the kamloops race and now the Kamloops race might be influencing another possible rule change for this race.

Can we just all get on the same page............ and finish this season off?

It is clear that the face of racing is changing and we need to face that and move forward. Personally I think we need to do all this brain storming in the off season and get all the clubs ( B.C, Alberta) together on rule changes for 08/09 season so we can all race together next year.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.