Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mad Scientist Motor Tuning

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys......just to keep the racers up to date, I will be doing some brushless testing in the next couple of months to determine the best possible combination for power and longevity. With ROAR changing the rules a bit as far as what is the stock 27turn equivlent and the 10.5's running with the 19 turn guys I need to see what is the best direction for Mad Scientist Motors. Right now our brushed motors are generating some impressive power and I will be attending some bigger races in the coming months to do more testing for our brushed motors. I plan on having brushless motors available to the guys that want to run the newer technology in early summer for the outdoor on-road season. I am still very dedicated to running and tuning brushed motors as this still seems to be the most popular classes at the bigger races in our part of the country. The biggest benefit for the brushless technology is the lower maintenance....so for club racing this seems to be a good way to go, but if the brushed motors give any sort of edge performance wise we will not see alot of the brushless "spec" stuff ran at bigger races where brushed and brushless run together.
So far at the club level the Mad Scientist CHeckpoint 19's seem to have an edge over the 10.5's, we have another club race tonight and I will gice a race report on saturday.
Thanks......see you guys on the rug!
Dwayne Flodell
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Dwayne, Did you get Flights?

I have mine now if you still want to try to get on the same flight.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

oops

That meant to be a PM.

lol- i was speaking out loud again.

Sorry for the hi jack.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Korgae.....check your mail.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Awesome club racing last night at CARCAR in Calgary. Some really tight racing and a good win for Nathan Fucile in stock. I think that everyone had a great time and the turnout was the best yet. I am also very thankfull for the support that the club and racers are showing for Mad Scientist Motors.
I am going to continue testing and developing new methods of tuning to create the best possible power packages for the various different classes that we are running. With Kamloops, Regina, Fastcats and the Calgary race in the next month, I will have really solid info as to what is working the best and what still needs some work. So far we have shown that our brushed motors have excellent power and are able to run competitively with the brushless technology. The quickest lap I was able to run was a 9.1 with a brushed 19 and the quickest lap with a 10.5 was 9.4. I was also able to TQ against 13.5's and a couple of 10.5's with a CO-27 stock motor in my Xray T2008.
I am going to put on a chassis tuning and gearing clinic at the track tuesday February 12th at 7:00pm. Anyone that is interested just show up with your chassis ready to run with motor and batts installed. I will cover general setup concepts aswell as do on track one on one tuning to get the racers more comfortable on the track.
See you guys at the track soon.
Thanks.......Dwayne Flodell
Old 02-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Dwayne,

That was some awesome racing last night, I had a blast in the main. Thanks for the super stiff competition!

Your stock brushed motors were very competitive compared to my Brushless 13.5. Keep up the great tuning.

I hope to have more close races with you in the future.

Nathan
Old 02-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Moonfrostee
Hey Dwayne,

That was some awesome racing last night, I had a blast in the main. Thanks for the super stiff competition!

Your stock brushed motors were very competitive compared to my Brushless 13.5. Keep up the great tuning.

I hope to have more close races with you in the future.

Nathan
Sometimes it pays to spectate. That was a cool race to watch.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Eddie....Tom Watson got it on video....should be on youtube in a couple of days, I will post a link when I get it.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Dwayne can you video the chassis and gearing clinic and make it available to us out of towners?
Old 02-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Well I would but....they say the camera adds ten pounds!
Seriously though I did not think of that. I am going to do a general overview of chassis setup and understanding the terminology aswell as doing one on one tuning on the track. I want the new guys (and maybe not so new guys)to understand what the specific adjustments do and how it affects the on track driveability. Alot of the time we get comfortable with a setup and just try to drive around it.....this is not always the most consistent or fastest way around the track.
I get asked quite often about gearing, this is always a tough one to answer right away without knowing the racers driving style, exact track layout and one huge factor is the chassis' mechanical condition. A very free wheeling drive train can accomodate a tooth or two more than a drive train that is all bound up and come off at the same temp. I have had racers in the past ask about a certain gearing combo for the track we are running on only to have them come back with a torched motor because their drive system was so bound up. It is usually the most simple things that get overlooked and this is why I wanted to do something to help the racers out. Maintenance is a huge factor in being fast, not only chassis and motor maintenance but cell maintenance aswell. I could not possibly cover everything all at once but this will be the start of getting some of the racers headed in the right direction.
Maybe I could do something in Regina friday night....we will see how the first session goes and see if the guys get anything out of it.
Thanks......Dwayne Flodell
Mr. Lanzer....I will see you soon.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Very well said Dwayne. I might just have to sit in myself. Keep up the good work
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Greg, I was at the track tonight and helped a guy out with the exact issue I had mentioned earlier. His wheel hexes were binding against the hubs when he tightened his wheel nuts. He was coming of the track at over 180f, we swithched wheel hexes and problem solved. The car not only was alot faster, but no heat issues and the car handled so much better.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yep Dwayne...that was me you helped out so Thanks!

As one of the new guys that Dwayne is talking about I can't say enough about how nice it is to have that kind of assistance available to us. Dwayne helped me out with my setup a few weeks back (as well as tonight) and it made a HUGE difference to the speed of the car and also it's driveability.

I think it's fantastic that Dwayne is willing to offer this assistance and I hope everyone takes advantage of the opportunity.

Thanks again Dwayne!

Mike G
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Elite

Anytime Mike....see you friday.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Mad Scientist Motors would like to welcome Stu Leckie to the team. Stu is an outstanding driver and I beleive that with the right equipment we will see him ontop of the podium in the near future. Stu is primarily going to run and test our brushless motors but will also be seen tearing up the tracks in stock touring and 19 touring very soon. Stu will also be at the World of Wheels off-road event in a couple weeks where he has dominated the last couple of years.
Good luck Stu and I will see you soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 3.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.