Wiki Posts
Search

Racing Organizations? Where Are They?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 04:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Racing Organizations? Where Are They?

20 Years ago in California NORRCA and ROAR where the major racing organizations and hosted several series, state, and national events. Now NORRCA has died, and ROAR has nothing in CA.

So what is left to bring together a state of racers to major events? I have just returned to raccing after 20 years absence and would love to attend series races, state championships, and National Events. I did see ROAR will off an Off-Road National in AZ (Aug 2015).

I do see there are ROAR sactioned tracks, but no ROAR races???
Maybe today nobody cares for these organizations but they were fun and local races were able to meet up with the Pro's.

What races are being held in CA on this type of caliber where the factory guys will attend?
Old 12-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

I assume you are talking about off road.
NORCCA is long gone. Not really sure why the breakup on that one. Maybe someone knows what JR is up too and can ask him. ROAR is still going but with many of the same problems and more that existed 20years ago. All they are good for nowadays is insurance and your ticket to the worlds. Jimmy Babcock has the JBRL which has become the major series in SoCal that many of the pro's race. RC-Pro gave it a go for a few years but backed out of the California scene after some mistakes in scheduling.

Things are different now. Regional's are non existent State Championships are non existent so its really just Nationals and Worlds and whatever glorified club race that a track owner wants to slap a name on.
The only series is JBRL that the Pro's attend.

The next world championship will be in 2016 held in Vegas for 1/8th scale. So this years Nats will have the biggest turnout as its a worlds qualifier.

What scale and class are you racing?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm running 1/10th off-road. Not much 1/8 in the area (Central Valley).
It's a shame that ROAR still has not figured it out. NORRCA was a good organization though there were issues, but it's hard to satisfy everyone. I will definitely jump on the JBRL series next year. Some of those sites are in my backyard.
Thx!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Unlike R.O.A.R. that is a club, NORRCA was privately owned - J.R. Sitman sold it, that owner sold it again, then it was sold again and pretty much stopped operating.

The thing that was cool w/ NORRCA was - they had race directors and put on So Cal series (where they were based) and ran them themselves. (ROAR doesn't do that)

Other than for insurance and rules - Organized (ROAR , NORRCA , etc. ) type racing is insignificant in todays r/c world.

The REEDY Race of Champions
The IIC
The Snowbirds
along with other big stand alone events, and a handful of series (ie: The JBRL) have taken over the West Coast R/C World.