Search

possibly moving to SoCal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default possibly moving to SoCal

Well it looks like i could be moving from Houston, Texas to SoCal. Playa Vista area to exact. Now im a die hard 1/10 guy living in 1/8 country and I really look forward to coming to RC mecca for some solid 1/10 racing. I fully expect to get my backside handed to me because 1/10 is pretty much disrespected here in Houston.

So for a 1/10 guy who raced 84 to 94 but back in the game for 2 years what should I expect going to the lions den of rc.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

6 year olds that are fast as $&@t!!!! Haha. So cal is a whole different world. Right now stock 2wd buggy is HUGE, get one and pretty much any track you go to will have 20+ on a race night. Oh and some of the biggest/ best indoor tracks in the states. OCRC, IERC and SDRC just name a few. Electric has changed quite a bit since 94. Two weeks ago the Surf City Classic had 111 stock 2wd buggies entered.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Casey thanks for the heads up. I sell skyrc products and i have been lucky to talk to a few guys out that way and wow very different than hear in Houston. I have knocked off the rust on the changes since 94 and man what a difference.

I have realized my tires i use will be pointless out there. Rear motor most likely not going to work either. Pretty much everything i have been doing for the past two years outside of tuning knowledge will have to be relearned.

6 year olds wow i think in all off Houston we have two racers under the age of 20.

I fine with learning by the school of hard knocks but very open to any help i get.

I am very excited to get out that way and race with you guys. The tracks you listed are ones i will definitely put on the list.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yea its a lot different out here, it seems the west coast/ western states Ca, Nv and Az are 1/10 heavy, maybe its due to all of the indoor tracks. Add hotrod hobbies to the list, very nice outdoor tracks. There are some nice 1/8th scale tracks in So Cal as well. I don't race 8th scale but Revelation and Thunder Alley are names that you a lot about.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyD
yea its a lot different out here, it seems the west coast/ western states Ca, Nv and Az are 1/10 heavy, maybe its due to all of the indoor tracks. Add hotrod hobbies to the list, very nice outdoor tracks. There are some nice 1/8th scale tracks in So Cal as well. I don't race 8th scale but Revelation and Thunder Alley are names that you a lot about.
Add LRH Hobbies raceway in Anaheim. They have a constant 1/8 Electric class there
Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Addict

Im a through and through die hard 1/10 fan boy. I have tired 1/8 and just didnt care for it. Trust me if your a die hard 1/8 guy then south and central Texas would be paradise for you. We have outdoor 1/8 365 days a year.

Things are looking more like I could be out that in the next 2 months. I hope spend 2 to 3 days a week at the track getting up to speed. I will be running 2wd mod buggy, 2wd stocks buggy, stadium truck and 4wd buggy.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

stay in texas. it cost way more to live here than it does to live there plus gas tax goes into effect in jan. extra 1$ PER GALLON .
Old 08-30-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mindcrimes
stay in texas. it cost way more to live here than it does to live there plus gas tax goes into effect in jan. extra 1$ PER GALLON .
Well i will be moving to socal looks to be around november. It will only be for 2 years and we wont have to pay a mortgage or rent. Me and the wife drive a combined 70k miles a year here in Houston. In socal we might drive a whole 10k miles a year because we will live where the wife will work and in just going to watch our son. Im going to do the whole house husband thing while we are there.

So the price of gas out there may not be a issue because we will be driving considerably less. Oh and hopefully less tolls since me and the wife pay about $5000 in toll fees a year.