R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > California Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #1501
Tech Champion
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 5,039
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Jack D View Post
Any UF1 racer going to race San Diego Sat? I'm torn between VTA at WCRC or trying out my FGX with IFS in SD Saturday.... Hmmmm where to race decisions decisions.
Chance of rain might be a factor I was hoping to maybe get some early F1 practice in and 1 heat before having to take off.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #1502
Tech Master
 
HeliYogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WA
Posts: 1,195
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default The best marketing startegy ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
.... La Carrera Pan-America. Touted as the toughest vintage rally race in the world......through Mexico with Telemex and Corona sponsorship... can't understand why the first person to come to mind was Marcos. Panda in Panda land
Oh! is it because of my Scottish accent?

Censorship test? Let's see: Wen Jiabao is the anti-Christ of democracy. The Chinese government is currently involve in heavy espionage and warfare via the Internet targeting its competitor's and political enemy's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfoot View Post
Loved the new track.... The longest and smoothest straight away I've ever driven on... I can't believe I've never been there before... The guy races every Sunday, $10 per class, and he's been there last two or three years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Alfaro View Post
Hello UF1 Club members, Thank You & so long everone!
URC Valley Raceway
Sundays 11am - Sunset.
AMB/MyLap Transponders
Thank you Marvin!

Good news everyone! We will be running at Marvin s every first Sunday of the month a club UF1 specs class race (and Le Mans too) PM me to be on the mailing list

Best Marketing ever...?
__________________
More F-1 RC action? RCTECH Formula-1-RC-Northwest & FB @WhatBrakes

Last edited by HeliYogi; 03-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
HeliYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #1503
Tech Master
 
240Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,115
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
[QUOTE [ there's a rolled up rug that you drive into QUOTE]

ROAR has a rule for gas cars that they have to have brakes. Interesting in a series that is supposed to be more 1:1 scale-like, you run into a rug to stop!!!

Before the rug, pit marshals were getting their hands ripped up by the body pin when they tried to catch a car arriving to pit.
__________________
I don't always race RC, but when I do, I prefer "UF1 format".
240Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #1504
Tech Master
 
Leester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wrong Planet
Posts: 1,017
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

A little short on the driver's stand positions. Will there be enough room for everyone to stand on the driver's stand in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I hope a UF1 race in SD happens!

SD F1 Race on a high grip track;

Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1505
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Oh that explains it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Z View Post
Before the rug, pit marshals were getting their hands ripped up by the body pin when they tried to catch a car arriving to pit.
Gloves? Safer body pins? BRAKES??? If you don't stop in the box...go around! Realistic racing is not running into rugs, imho.

Y'all will soon ruin a great thing
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1506
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastvale, CA
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Gloves? Safer body pins? BRAKES??? If you don't stop in the box...go around! Realistic racing is not running into rugs, imho.

Y'all will soon ruin a great thing
enough of this RC vs. 1:1 bullshit. in 1:1 F1 the cars are powered by fuel, not electricity. if you cartwheel your car end over end there's no giant marshall to flip you back over so you can continue racing. there's air in the tires, not foam. there's KERS. there's DRS. there's a live human sitting inside the car. steering is done by muscles not servos. i'm guessing they don't use molded plastic suspension components either. tires don't rely on glue to stay on the rim. we can go on and on. where should the line be drawn?

soon ruin a great thing? yeah mandating things that are impractical for RC realities will do that real quick.
__________________
Torrance Deguzman
HPI/HB Mechanical Engineer
powered by LRP
T. Deguzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1507
Tech Champion
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 5,039
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
A little short on the driver's stand positions. Will there be enough room for everyone to stand on the driver's stand in the future?
I'm not sure but the track is only about the size of Cal so standing on a folding chair is actually my preferred choice here. it doesnt' shake from the other drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
enough of this RC vs. 1:1 bullshit. in 1:1 F1 the cars are powered by fuel, not electricity. if you cartwheel your car end over end there's no giant marshall to flip you back over so you can continue racing. there's air in the tires, not foam. there's KERS. there's DRS. there's a live human sitting inside the car. steering is done by muscles not servos. i'm guessing they don't use molded plastic suspension components either. tires don't rely on glue to stay on the rim. we can go on and on. where should the line be drawn?

soon ruin a great thing? yeah mandating things that are impractical for RC realities will do that real quick.

Thank you!
I think also the complaining can be pretty real compared to 1:1 racing
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #1508
Tech Elite
 
TPhalen's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,793
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Deguzman View Post
enough of this RC vs. 1:1 bullshit. in 1:1 F1 the cars are powered by fuel, not electricity. if you cartwheel your car end over end there's no giant marshall to flip you back over so you can continue racing. there's air in the tires, not foam. there's KERS. there's DRS. there's a live human sitting inside the car. steering is done by muscles not servos. i'm guessing they don't use molded plastic suspension components either. tires don't rely on glue to stay on the rim. we can go on and on. where should the line be drawn?

soon ruin a great thing? yeah mandating things that are impractical for RC realities will do that real quick.
What he said. There's actually a LONGER list of things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Gloves? Safer body pins? BRAKES??? If you don't stop in the box...go around! Realistic racing is not running into rugs, imho.

Y'all will soon ruin a great thing
We've been doing just fine with the way our Series has run, and it's only getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Thanks for you input, though.
__________________
Tony Phalen
UF1 Team Lotus/Renault
RCDriver.com
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #1509
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhalen View Post
What he said. There's actually a LONGER list of things...



We've been doing just fine with the way our Series has run, and it's only getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Thanks for you input, though.
Attached Thumbnails
UF1 is still alive and well in So. Cal-ts.jpg  
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #1510
Tech Elite
 
Kevin CBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: "Racing Budget" is an oxymoron
Posts: 3,679
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliYogi View Post
Oh! is it because of my Scottish accent?

Censorship test? Let's see: Wen Jiabao is the anti-Christ of democracy. The Chinese government is currently involve in heavy espionage and warfare via the Internet targeting its competitor's and political enemy's
Scottish ? I thought you were Irish and why you were such a big Eddie Jordan fan.

If you guys keep it up, I will be lucky if they let me out in time to make the Winter Series. Time to go make sure today's factory does not having any 12 year old's locked up in back rooms. At least the ample view of short skirts and high heels at breakfast made for a good start to the day.

The American Panda
__________________
Panda Performance / Nemo Racing top secret R&D lab hidden in a lush bamboo forest....
Scorpion Power Systems
Kevin CBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #1511
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR View Post
At least the ample view of short skirts and high heels at breakfast made for a good start to the day.

The American Panda
Statements like this are useless without pics
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #1512
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Sorry

Sorry to ruffle your feathers guys. My line of thinking started back here:

"""Nohing really major, however we are working on a form that keeps track of what equipment drivers are running (basically, a primary usage form). We are also throwing around an idea of using a system similar to real F1 where, if you decide to stray away from your primary equipment (say, to run your IRS car if you posted your direct drive car as a primary), you would be docked X amount of spots on the grid. This conforms to real F1 where, for example, you dropped a new motor in your car, you would be penalized for doing so. This will help level the playing field for those guys that only have one car to run, as opposed to someone that has 2 or 3 for running on different track conditions. We're still trying to figure out how to properly police it but it would certainly add a nice twist to the series!

new rules look good... except the last part about the 'primary equipment' rule. i can see that working on a per event basis but not for the entire season. for example let's say a racer starts the season and declares that they'll be using an F104v2 as their primary car. well what if Tamiya releases an F104v3 mid season - will that racer be penalized for the remainder of the season if he decides to upgrade to the newer chassis?"""

As you see, we agreed on that, at the time. I am trying to point out that there are rules that make sense and rules that don't! We are only disagreeing on which 1:1 rules should be included and which should not be included. As a hobbiest/racer, I don't see why setting up a car to stop in the pits is such a big deal, obvioulsy many disagree. I understand that it's easier to run into a rug that bring your car to a controlled stop, but it can be done, has been and is done in gas (nitro for you nubies) for years. You want to run into a rug...fine. I was attempting to share my thoughts.

I apologize for my comment about "ruining a good thing". My concern is that UF1 is expanding and questions are being asked about the rules. There have been and will be questions about which rules are "required" and which are "optional" for "satelite" UF1 Series. An example of this is in the Midwest. We run spec tire, tires are open in Cali. I was thinking since what is decided in UF1 Cali likely directly effects UF1 Midwest, I'd put in my thoughts.

It has become clear that I'm not welcome here, I apologize for the intrusion...
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #1513
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Not a Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Sorry to encroach into your world.

By the way, I don't consider myself a troll at all. I have been racing for over 40 years, Helped to organize and run R/C clubs, Series, and was a ROAR Director and Committeman. I ran in the 2nd UF1 Midwest race and had intetended to go to the next one. ( they are all over 600 miles from where I live)

Oh yeah, with the help of Tim, I built a Pit Stop Timer for the UF1 Midwest Series to use....

(I am older than dirt tho! )
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #1514
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,126
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhalen View Post
What he said. There's actually a LONGER list of things...

Tony, My comments were all an attempt to share my thoughts on the rules and why, in my opinion, the rule I originally commented on, your suggestion to add chassis restrictions "like in F1", makes less sense to me than many others, including haveing enough brakes in a car to stop in the pits. It is obvious you and many others do not agree. Comparing electric to fuel, DRS, etc. is toatlly irrelevent...imho..........brakes are brakes

We've been doing just fine with the way our Series has run, and it's only getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Thanks for you input, though.
Yes it has and I hope it continues!
End of input...out

Ned
aarcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #1515
Tech Elite
 
TPhalen's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brookfield, CT
Posts: 2,793
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarcobra View Post
Sorry to ruffle your feathers guys. My line of thinking started back here:

"""Nohing really major, however we are working on a form that keeps track of what equipment drivers are running (basically, a primary usage form). We are also throwing around an idea of using a system similar to real F1 where, if you decide to stray away from your primary equipment (say, to run your IRS car if you posted your direct drive car as a primary), you would be docked X amount of spots on the grid. This conforms to real F1 where, for example, you dropped a new motor in your car, you would be penalized for doing so. This will help level the playing field for those guys that only have one car to run, as opposed to someone that has 2 or 3 for running on different track conditions. We're still trying to figure out how to properly police it but it would certainly add a nice twist to the series!

new rules look good... except the last part about the 'primary equipment' rule. i can see that working on a per event basis but not for the entire season. for example let's say a racer starts the season and declares that they'll be using an F104v2 as their primary car. well what if Tamiya releases an F104v3 mid season - will that racer be penalized for the remainder of the season if he decides to upgrade to the newer chassis?"""

As you see, we agreed on that, at the time. I am trying to point out that there are rules that make sense and rules that don't! We are only disagreeing on which 1:1 rules should be included and which should not be included. As a hobbiest/racer, I don't see why setting up a car to stop in the pits is such a big deal, obvioulsy many disagree. I understand that it's easier to run into a rug that bring your car to a controlled stop, but it can be done, has been and is done in gas (nitro for you nubies) for years. You want to run into a rug...fine. I was attempting to share my thoughts.

I apologize for my comment about "ruining a good thing". My concern is that UF1 is expanding and questions are being asked about the rules. There have been and will be questions about which rules are "required" and which are "optional" for "satelite" UF1 Series. An example of this is in the Midwest. We run spec tire, tires are open in Cali. I was thinking since what is decided in UF1 Cali likely directly effects UF1 Midwest, I'd put in my thoughts.

It has become clear that I'm not welcome here, I apologize for the intrusion...
It's not an intrusion more than your 'tone' through the keyboard. We are well aware of the pitfalls with certain rules and haven't made any concrete decisions regarding the chassis rule. In fact, we've actually discussed it and decided this rule would be WAY to hard to police, so it will not actually see rule status.

You keep bringing up nitro cars and their ability to brake. You do realize that nitro cars are 4wd and, when you slam on the brakes, they DO brake in a straight line and almost instantly. Even a 'nubie' could do that and still maintain control...not so much for a RWD car that has ONLY rear brakes. We can't equate a 1:1 comparison here since real F1 cars have 4-wheel braking. So yes, the rug is important since not everyone can bring a RWD car to a controlled stop from racing speeds in a matter of feet.

Finally, we are working on a document that all UF1 affiliate locations must adhere to to remain in a UF1 location. Some rules, like the open/spec tire, can be adjusted as the affiliate sees fit; we know that not every location can adhere to our ruleset.

The UF1 is a constant work-in-progress and, while we enjoy and entertain new ideas for future rule updates/changes, positive criticism goes alot farther than what appears to be an attack on the Series. I know this is not your intent...at least I hope not!!!

Again, we want the UF1 to be SIMILAR to 1:1 F1, not exactly the same. And, while 1:1 F1 has the top echelon of drivers in the world, UF1 doesn't
__________________
Tony Phalen
UF1 Team Lotus/Renault
RCDriver.com
CompetitionX.com
R Sector / F1 Paint Labs
TPhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TQ RC RACING in Chino, California spring71 California Racing 6077 Today 02:11 PM
UF1 STILL ALIVE AND WELL! F N CUDA Electric On-Road 117 07-12-2012 12:14 AM
F1 is alive and well in So. Cal! 240Z California Racing 5880 07-06-2012 05:36 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net