Wiki Posts
Search

JBRL ELECTRIC OFFROAD RACING SERIES

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The problem with 21.5 boosted is you HAVE to boost the 21.5 then. There are still people that run older speedo's in there cars or don't have access to Tekin Hotwire or similar (if they have a tekin speedo) to unlock the speedo. Without it 21.5 is super slow and gearing them high enough to get any performance out of them is tough to impossible. Nonboosted 17.5 is still plenty fast and can get around most tracks. (might have to go wide and stuff to clear some jumps but still can get around fine.) The goal was to reduce cost, reduce speeds and make it more fun for everyone. If we went 21.5 boosted those that run GTB's or Xcelorins or old LRP etc would need to buy a new speedo ($200+) as well as a $50-80 for a 21.5 no one already has. OR... You can just turn down the speedo you already have (most all current if not all boosting speedo's have a spec mode see http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737 for a list) or if you don't have boosted stuff like not all sportsman racers do you are now on a more level playing field and can have some more fun. Stock should be about equal motor and the driver wins vs who has the best setup for there boosted ESC. Leave that up to the experts to battle it out.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
The problem with 21.5 boosted is you HAVE to boost the 21.5 then. There are still people that run older speedo's in there cars or don't have access to Tekin Hotwire or similar (if they have a tekin speedo) to unlock the speedo. Without it 21.5 is super slow and gearing them high enough to get any performance out of them is tough to impossible. Nonboosted 17.5 is still plenty fast and can get around most tracks. (might have to go wide and stuff to clear some jumps but still can get around fine.) The goal was to reduce cost, reduce speeds and make it more fun for everyone. If we went 21.5 boosted those that run GTB's or Xcelorins or old LRP etc would need to buy a new speedo ($200+) as well as a $50-80 for a 21.5 no one already has. OR... You can just turn down the speedo you already have (most all current if not all boosting speedo's have a spec mode see http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=737 for a list) or if you don't have boosted stuff like not all sportsman racers do you are now on a more level playing field and can have some more fun. Stock should be about equal motor and the driver wins vs who has the best setup for there boosted ESC. Leave that up to the experts to battle it out.
Just playing devils advocate alittle, but what about a stock class that runs boosted 21.5 or non boosted 17.5? That way both can play.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Prophet

Lets keep it simple for tech. Testing would need to be done to see if they are similar at all.

I know you are putting out ideas and that is fine but what is the resistance to non timing 17.5? Why do we need to boost everything?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Company Representative

Lets keep it simple for tech. Testing would need to be done to see if they are similar at all.

I know you are putting out ideas and that is fine but what is the resistance to non timing 17.5? Why do we need to boost everything?
Because you only want to do it with truck and not buggy. You should just have the same rules for both buggy and truck, that's all I'm getting at.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The tech part would be the same but it would just be one class instead of two. whether you boost or not boost you will still have to check ESC's so there really isnt a difference in tech unless its unlimited.

You dont have to boost but if you already have an ESC that can then you have another option and if you boost with a slower motor it would probly be pretty close to running a non boosted faster motor.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Scott-- Buggy will have non boosted sportsman 17.5 and boosted expert stock buggy?

Truck is only non boosted at this time. Again look at the past couple years. Super stock and Mod truck don't get even a decent turnout.

Josh-- I was running up at HRH last night and Jimmy's boosted 17.5 was as fast as my non boosted 10.5 in the intermediate short course class! It might have even been a little faster! I again why do we need to allow boost. For sportsman it is harder to setup and more expensive. Most in sportsman don't really have the skills to run that fast either. There is an expert class to go fast! Who has a 21.5 in there box right now. Everyone has a 17.5 and just turn down your ESC. What is the big deal here. Put racing back in the hands of the driver like stock has been all these years before it became a war of I can get the most out of my super boosted speedo with extra dialed advance timing speed without blowing everything up at $200 a pop.

Seems like the guys with the biggest issue are those that will run expert anyway. Any sportsman out there that are having heart burn on this????

Last edited by Casper; 12-15-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Seems like the guys with the biggest issue are those that will run expert anyway. Any sportsman out there that are having heart burn on this????
I do. Only cause this is the dumbest argument ever.... No one has a 21.5, nor do they want to spend the $80+ bucks to get one. I remember when stock went from 13.5 to 17.5 everyone was crying cause it was gonna be too slow. Why even think about 21.5? If you wanna run 17.5 w/o timing then turn down your ESC. If you wanna run 17.5 w/ timing then turn it up. Simple. Don't go make people buy a motor so they can race in a pointless class.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 107 (99%+)

Casper...

The class with the lowest turnout last year was mod truck. I would eliminate mod truck and then have non timing 17.5 and boosted 17.5. Local racing all allow 17.5 boosted, so why eliminate a full class...
Old 12-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Prophet

Mod truck and SS truck had about the same turnout. both were pitiful. Jimmy thought about that as well. I know he is still thinking about this. I just looked at the results from last year. There were 18 different people that participated in SS truck. There were 13 in Mod truck. But based on the payout they had the same total entries for the year in both classes.

Just to point out the difference in truck and buggy turnout. SS buggy had 34 different drivers and over twice the total entries in that class for the year.

Stock truck had 61 different drivers and was only beat by INT SC which had 63 different drivers. Stock truck had more total entries for the series though. Maybe with non boosted and boosted rules people might split this time to make two real classes?

Stock buggy had 51 different drivers.

You can check it all out here.

http://www.jimmybabcock.com/2010%20J...ries%20(1).htm
Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by lbckevin
Casper...

The class with the lowest turnout last year was mod truck. I would eliminate mod truck and then have non timing 17.5 and boosted 17.5. Local racing all allow 17.5 boosted, so why eliminate a full class...
Do you guys have a non boosted 17.5 class? Just curious. Again anyone that is running boosted 17.5 can turn down there speedo at no cost other then speed and run in the sportsman class.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Well put Casper...

WC truck class is an open class with 17.5. Most run boosted.

I know they will show up if you split it up to boosted and non boosted truck. I think it needs a name change to kill the super stock name...There is no Superstock in ROAR...Lets come up with a new name and run both classes in truck and buggy. If not, just run stock truck (non Boosted) and mod truck only.

I look forward to running the JBRL next year.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Tech Prophet

The current JBRL Class names are

Sportsman Stock (17.5 no timing advance/boosting)
Expert Stock (17.5 unlimited ESC)

Just curious what kind of turnout do you normally get for Stock truck. I know OCRC typically combines with buggy. Everyonce in a while they get 4-5 together for there own class.

HRH had one mixed class of 10th scale last night.

I know more trucks show up for the JBRL then tyical club racing but just curious.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

The current JBRL Class names are

Sportsman Stock (17.5 no timing advance/boosting)
Expert Stock (17.5 unlimited ESC)

Just curious what kind of turnout do you normally get for Stock truck. I know OCRC typically combines with buggy. Everyonce in a while they get 4-5 together for there own class.

HRH had one mixed class of 10th scale last night.

I know more trucks show up for the JBRL then tyical club racing but just curious.
Pegasus gets an average of 6 stock trucks.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Thanks Mike. You allow boosting? The class is holding on.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

We get a full heat at WC for stock truck.

For the Associated series, we are averaging 3 full heats of stock truck. Its the biggest class, then the next biggest is 17.5 short course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.