Search
Like Tree3Likes

New Indoor Track in Sacramento?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default New Indoor Track in Sacramento?

I have been considering opening an indoor r/c track in the Sacramento area. I have not done any r/c racing for a long time now, but it seems now might be the time.
There really isn't much around, LSR Raceway in Sacramento, and the venerable Speedworld in Roseville. My plan is a track in Elk Grove, south area.
What you think? I be crazy? I was thinking onroad, but frankly the 3d racing of buggies looks more interesting and can be run indoors on carpet/concrete right?
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Carpet or Turf are "becoming a thing" for off-road in the US. some tracks (Carpet tracks) have run both on-road and off-road with movable jumps/obstacles for off-road days. This allows for drawing both off-road and on road drivers. Since LSR raceway is in the greater Sacramento area, competing with another dirt/clay track that close (for our limited market hobby) would be a difficult business proposition I would think.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm here for a new track... What is typical attendance for a race? I used to race Friday night and Sunday afternoons, Saturday was practice.
I can't even remember what it costs back them. What does it cost these days to enter a race or practice?

There is actually a dirt lot next to my 7000 sf shop, I might be able to rent some dirt out there to run an outdoor offroad track for non-winter racing.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I go to LSR quite a bit and I would say if you do it you would pretty much have to do 1/8th scale sized track or maybe carpet to succeed in off road (and people go to Chico for carpet).

Friday night and Sunday are already races at LSR. I would suggest trying Saturdays and maybe a weekday night.

My brother worked at a track behind what was the Campbells soup factory (Sacramento RC? - I forget!) and they directly competed against Capital RC which was 30 minutes away. Capital RC eventually won maybe 3 or 4 years later as they had a better race program and maintained the track better. Capital eventually went out of business probably for a variety of reasons that LSR doesn't have so I would not expect to go head to head with them especially with an outdoor track. LSR is a great track that is well maintained and does a good job keeping enough product in stock without going overkill with alot of parts/kits/money just sitting on shelves that many people just are going to get from AMAIN.

Personally I would say if you have a shop already you might be able to organize on-road racing in the parking lot with basic materials and a timing system and work that out with the landlord. If the parking lot is in decent condition and the landlord would let you run on it I would start there informally as the overhead is minimum for a drivers stand, piping/boards to make the track, and a timing system. Do VTA racing or on-road buggy or sedan racing that doesnt need a perfect asphault finish to be fun. Spray some sugar on the ground and go racing. That is the way SAC RC did it when we ran there and it was mainly practice with some racing. If you get good turnouts see what happens from there.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nimble
I'm not seeing a lot of enthusiasm here for a new track... What is typical attendance for a race? I used to race Friday night and Sunday afternoons, Saturday was practice.
I can't even remember what it costs back them. What does it cost these days to enter a race or practice?
https://www.facebook.com/lsr.speedway/

There area not alot of norcal people that i have seen that participate in this section of the forum. Manly socal I guess? Honestly I just happened to see this. You should try LSR out if you haven't already. If you don't have anything obviously its a bit of a investment but even a 10th scale basher like a slash you can race in novice or at least practice and have fun. If it doesn't work out you have a Slash! Then you can have some first hand experience on seeing how to do it the right way and what works. You might find its more fun to race at someone elses facility then own and mange your own!

LSR - typically 20 to for a club race (10 for your second class). Practice is 10 bucks. Special events are maybe every other month with prizes and trophies is usually around 25 and 15.

You can stop by and Fridays after about 7 they start racing and I think Sundays at 11. Great turnouts and some very competitive racing.

Last edited by sacmiata; 01-02-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the feedback. I have not been to LSR, way too busy with my full-size race car, just got back from Laguna Seca. I could do on-road to be different than LSR, but then it competes with Speedworld,
although they are outdoor. How many people racing off-road also race on-road? I recall people did both, I did after a while doing just offroad. I doubt I can drive worth a crap now, was not good before. lol
I'm looking to generate some income from my 7000sf shop, as I only need halt that space, and I could use a testbed for my timer system which I plan to use with full-size race cars.
There is an indoor soccer place next door, so me thinks that could draw in some new people.
We can't use the parking lot for rc racing.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Went to Thunderhill with golden gate lotus club in late September in my Miata - used to do track days alot but with young kids the goal is just once a year to stretch its legs. I would love to race that but will settle for 1/10 scale.

No idea on if alot of people do both but the people I generally know and talk to only do off-road. The time or two that I went to speedworld I didn't recognize anyone other then one guy who had converted from off-road. There are also off road tracks in antioch, brentwood and I think cameron park. So lots of drivers to work with but also established tracks to compete with!
Old 12-19-2019, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

7000sf will be a "tight fit" for a track and pit space. generally an off road track needs to be at least 40' x 75' to install a layout that will fit more than 5-6 cars at a time. so that eats up at least 1/2 the space you have (smaller than 50' X 80' is real stretch in my humble opinion). Pit space seems to eat a fair amount of space (I have no calculation for "square feet per pit space (although normally smaller that 4' wide by 3' to 4' deep will be really cramped, then add walk space between rows of pits).

Old 12-25-2019, 08:16 PM
See
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Carpet on road would be your best bet.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

So it is looking like I will get a 8500sf building that connects to the outdoor space. I have a lot of artificial turf I can use for the indoor and/or outdoor track. It is an old football field,
so the turf is not short haired like newer ones. What about concrete as the surface?
Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

I would say if your still doing the rental/loaner model then you could try the used astroturf with rental monster trucks or maybe shortcourse trucks.

But I wouldnt expect anyone to bring out race buggies. I would source some cheap outdoor carpet just so you could do your rentals and have racing.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficM...144H/203240740

Assuming the concrete has that click steel trowel finish i would say it cant be raced on.

I agree with See that carpet on-road for actual racing would be a good fit and you could still throw out some jumps and do an off road night or use it for rentals/parties as well.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

I'm going to do an on-road flat track. Thinking to paint the concrete with some epoxy non-skid to give it some grip. Outdoor will be turf off-road course with jumps and all that.
I will have a little 1/24 scale track too with some rental cars. $1 race for 5 minute practice and 5 minute race. Going to be my promo "Come out and race for $1".

For the on-road, my thinking here is: people have a sign up on our website for 30-minute scheduled sessions. 10 minute practice for 16 drivers, then 8 race for 5 minutes (other 8 marshal), then they swap and other 8 race for 5 minutes,
and then the top 4 from each race will race in the third race. Gives you an incentive to not crash. $10 for the 30 minutes session. So for $20, you can come out and race 6 times. Or $40, get 12 races in two hours.
Parents can drop off their kids and pick them up a couple hours later. Simple and efficient and fun.

The outdoor will be traditional racing, will setup the pits on the indoor track and just race on saturday nights.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thumbs up for another norcal track!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by asadrian
Thumbs up for another norcal track!
Thanks for the thumbs up!
As an update, I have now signed the lease for a 3300sf space that is permitted to allow r/c racing, and moving in now. I've had to scale back the plans quite a bit, but there is room for a 30x60 track.
It is called Elk Grove Racing, and we will have a fleet of custom 34 Ford on-road cars.

The cars are inspired by the 'full size Legends (they are actually 5/8 size), here is great video of them running on a road course.
gnfam likes this.

Last edited by nimble; 02-13-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

So this new track only race these Ford on road cars ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.