Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > For Sale/Trade Forums > Buyer/Seller dispute and discussion forum
Selling to a new user as a buyer question >

Selling to a new user as a buyer question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Selling to a new user as a buyer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)
Questions?? Selling to a new user as a buyer question

I have bought and sold quite a bit of stuff on here and on RCC over the years. I recently put a few hundred dollar item for sale and have someone who sent me PP. They are a new user, 0 posts and are from overseas. They sent me the PP and the confirmed PP address is to an address in NJ.

The shipping address provided by PP is confirmed, so I should be covered as a seller, correct? I print my shipping labels thru PP and would require signature confirmation.

I am not afraid to say I asked for the payment to be friends/family, not payment, because of the new user, 0 posts. I figure my feedback speaks for itself. He sent me pp as a regular payment.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Casey

Last edited by wrightcs77; 09-15-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I'd be a little concerned but everyone has to start somewhere. Do you feel that your item would be easy to sell if this doesn't go through? You'll be PP protected to some extent. I'd make a video of you packaging it, complete with label being affixed.

IMO PP gives more leeway to buyers rather than sellers.

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
I am not afraid to say I asked for the payment to be friends/family, not payment, because of the new user, 0 posts. I figure my feedback speaks for itself. He sent me pp as a regular payment.
Mods might be concerned about this. I understand why you wanted this but if he did, he would have had no protection. I sold a buggy to a new user once. He sent me the $ as friends/family which did put my mind at ease. Transaction worked out fine and I was his very first feedback.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

More then likely it's a second shipper who sends it out of state for the buyer. I've done it before, went to jersey then ukraine
Old 09-16-2014, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Casey
5, 50, or 500 posts, you need to send and receive payment as "payment" . It's not just about protecting you, but the buyer as well.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I would be concerned regardless. I make it a point to not deal with anyone overseas, paypal or not. The risk outweighs the gains, even when the item is for a few hundred dollars.

I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
5, 50, or 500 posts, you need to send and receive payment as "payment" . It's not just about protecting you, but the buyer as well.
There are strict rules on asking for gift payments, especially via PM's/text/e-mail. I do not care if your feedback is +1 or +1000, the result will be the same and I will not hesitate
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Thnere are strict rules on asking for gift payments, especially via PM's/text/e-mail. I do not care if your feedback is +1 or +1000, the result will be the same and I will not hesitate
This transaction was in another site. I am asking here, as this site is more active and I can get more opinions. I understand the rules here and follow them closely
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

This transaction was in another site. I am asking here, as this site is more active and I can get more opinions. I understand the rules here and follow them closely
Not to sound like I don't care but if it's not on here..well then I really don't care.

I'm not sure I would bother dealing with situation like this. But if I did, I would check into the shipping address you're given and see if they're a legit 3rd party shipper for overseas customers. If they are, I think you would be pretty safe. No matter which PP payment option the buyer uses.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Shipping tracking overseas is iffy at best. What's to keep buyer from claiming it was tampered with, or they didn't receive it at all? Since it's going through a 3rd party?
For example, I'm currently waiting for a package from Ebay, from India.
Item purchased Sep 7th
Received tracking number in several days afterwards
Today 16th, tracking shows still waiting for seller to drop off at facility
Seller assures me package is on the way
Sure, an India shipment will take awhile, figured about 3 weeks. But I have purchased from China, Taiwan, even Korea, and tracking always worked somewhat. Good thing I used PP huh.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Going through a 3rd party shipper. Once the item is in their hands, signed sealed and delivered. The deal is done on your end. From that point the transaction is between the buyer and said shipper. You as the seller are done with the deal.

That's what I think and would assume anyway. Anybody on here who can confirm...?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Going through a 3rd party shipper. Once the item is in their hands, signed sealed and delivered. The deal is done on your end. From that point the transaction is between the buyer and said shipper. You as the seller are done with the deal.

That's what I think and would assume anyway. Anybody on here who can confirm...?
I would agree. At that point shipping is out of your hands. You can't really do anything else. Which is different that shipping directly to the person.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Would not do.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I would do it if the address is confirmed, your covered then.