Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's discuss thread bumping rules.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Im pretty sure no one is going to car if you bump your thread 23 hours after your previous bump, your thread isnt going to get deleted...now if you are bumping every 6 hours, then thats a problem. Calm down.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

So, moderator Slo_E4 jumped in and he seems to follow the 24 hour rule. Others have quoted how the rule states one bump per 12am to 12:59pm calendar day. I had a thread deleted by badaml for bumping 8pm and 1pm the following day, which contradicts his current interpretation of the rule. I only intended to address when it's ok to post your first bump, but apparently the entire bumping rule means different things to both members and moderators. It's not easy to follow a rule that isn't being enforced uniformly.

Well I'm off to bump my for sale threads at 2pm when I last bumped them at 7:44pm yesterday. It might or might not get deleted...
Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by matt_is_superco
Well I'm off to bump my for sale threads at 2pm when I last bumped them at 7:44pm yesterday. It might or might not get deleted...
How do you sleep at night???

I was under the impression it was a Calendar Day since that's pretty much what the rule states...but then again i dont get carried away with it either.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Badaml's action does NOT contradict what I said.... Jeez either you can't read and interpret, or you just refuse to interpret. Whatever the case is your argument of moderators not on the same page is mute.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slo_E4
Badaml's action does NOT contradict what I said.... Jeez either you can't read and interpret, or you just refuse to interpret. Whatever the case is your argument of moderators not on the same page is mute.
You've been caught up in something that is not as clearly spelled out as you make it out to be and you think it's the rest of the user base that is not able to understand. If you take yourself out of mod mode for a second and actually read the rule as it's printed, not as you think it's intended you'll see you are the one that's wrong if you want to truly get down to the strict meaning of the words. This rule will not impact me either way so I really don't care what you make it say, but I'm trying to get people to see that it is written differently than you say it is.

BTW, you're trying to say "moot". That precision of language thing again...
Old 03-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I will still interpret it as 24 hours between posts.That is how I have always done it by, and how I have seen other forums have done it before. Never had any issue. Anyone should be free to see it as they wish, just make sure you can back up your side.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

this thread now has two issues:

1) the free "bump" the day of the OP.

2) when subsequent bumps can take place.

for the first, i've stated my opinion. for the second, i always have gone by the "calendar day" interpretation. for me, it makes more sense as you can bump your thread different times of the day to hit different timezones and demographics. using the 24 hour interpretation, if i start a thread at 8:00pm and want to bump it for the morning crowd, i'd have to wait 36 hours to bump it up at 8:00am, two calendar days from when i originally posted the item. the calendar day interpretation just makes more sense to me.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Talking

TTT

Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
this thread now has two issues:

1) the free "bump" the day of the OP.

2) when subsequent bumps can take place.

for the first, i've stated my opinion. for the second, i always have gone by the "calendar day" interpretation. for me, it makes more sense as you can bump your thread different times of the day to hit different timezones and demographics. using the 24 hour interpretation, if i start a thread at 8:00pm and want to bump it for the morning crowd, i'd have to wait 36 hours to bump it up at 8:00am, two calendar days from when i originally posted the item. the calendar day interpretation just makes more sense to me.
EXACTLY

Originally Posted by JiuHaWong
TTT

OK, funny.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The rule, as written, is ONE bump per calendar day.

Creating a thread is NOT a bump, you're not '"bumping" anything. You're creating a thread. Whether we change the rule to "once every 24 hours" of not this won't change. You're still free to "bump" your thread ANYTIME you want the FIRST TIME. From there you must wait until the next calendar day, per the written rules. Or 24 hours if the rules was changed, which I don't see happening.

There's no "loophole", because one person doesn't or can't understand the rules doesn't mean there's a loophole.

If someone creates a thread at 11pm, bumps it at 11:30pm and then again at 12:01am they are free to do so! The first bump was "free", always has been. The second bump was on a different day, no violation. From there they need to wait until the next calendar day, which would be a full 24 hours because of the time they choose to bump it that day (12:01am).
Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer1812
The rule, as written, is ONE bump per calendar day.

Creating a thread is NOT a bump, you're not '"bumping" anything. You're creating a thread. Whether we change the rule to "once every 24 hours" of not this won't change. You're still free to "bump" your thread ANYTIME you want the FIRST TIME. From there you must wait until the next calendar day, per the written rules. Or 24 hours if the rules was changed, which I don't see happening.

There's no "loophole", because one person doesn't or can't understand the rules doesn't mean there's a loophole.

If someone creates a thread at 11pm, bumps it at 11:30pm and then again at 12:01am they are free to do so! The first bump was "free", always has been. The second bump was on a different day, no violation. From there they need to wait until the next calendar day, which would be a full 24 hours because of the time they choose to bump it that day (12:01am).
Thank you.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 204 (100%+)

So, moderator Slo_E4 jumped in and he seems to follow the 24 hour rule. Others have quoted how the rule states one bump per 12am to 12:59pm calendar day. I had a thread deleted by badaml for bumping 8pm and 1pm the following day, which contradicts his current interpretation of the rule. I only intended to address when it's ok to post your first bump, but apparently the entire bumping rule means different things to both members and moderators. It's not easy to follow a rule that isn't being enforced uniformly. .
I guess its read differently by different people, my understanding about the bump rule was from the original post, but now I know it's different, just curious as to why naming this member in the original thread title, sounds like he reads them differently and acts differently than the rest??? don't know as their must be a reason
Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

I'll start off saying this: maybe I'm wrong.

Let's say I posted an item for sale at 1am. Then later that day at 9pm I reply to my own thread and clarify something. At this point nobody else has posted in the thread. Did I just break the bumping rule?

badaml says that's ok, because you're allowed one bump per day and the initial post does not count toward that one bump.

I think a rule was broken and per rules the thread should be deleted (as he often does moderating). I think the original post should have been edited rather than bumping the thread 19 hours after it was started.

Let's hear your interpretation of the bumping rule... OPINIONS ARE OK TO HAVE AND SHARE HERE! You can't get banned for disagreeing with a Mod's interpretation of an ambiguous rule (cleanly)
You are wrong.

I'll say this, if you're gonna create a thread calling people out you better have your "ducks in a row". If I'M ever wrong, and it's happened, I'll man up and say so. As will any of our mod staff. If you come to me, another super mod or the Admin. we'll without a doubt look at the situation. BUT if you're gonna skip all that and go public dragging a guys name through the mud you better make sure you're in the right. And again, in this case you are wrong.

Last edited by racer1812; 03-08-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added "you're"
Old 03-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

So, moderator Slo_E4 jumped in and he seems to follow the 24 hour rule. Others have quoted how the rule states one bump per 12am to 12:59pm calendar day. I had a thread deleted by badaml for bumping 8pm and 1pm the following day, which contradicts his current interpretation of the rule. I only intended to address when it's ok to post your first bump, but apparently the entire bumping rule means different things to both members and moderators. It's not easy to follow a rule that isn't being enforced uniformly.

Your thread got deleted for bumping but that's NOT when you bumped it.

You bumped (the only thread you have on record as being deleted) at 3:47PM CST you then bumped it with, and I quote..

"PM replied. Still no deal has been made, but several folks are thinking about it. PM me your offers. Thanks!"

This was posted at 4:59pm CST.

Not matter how the rule is worded, you broke it!

Last edited by racer1812; 03-08-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: bumping was the reason..just not when he said
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Talking

Price lowered, must sell!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.