Wiki Posts
Search

problem with shipping opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 187 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
My $.02, the seller is on the hook until they have proof the buyer received the item. 99% of the time shipping services work just fine. Delivery confirmation covers the seller on the "I never got it" scams. Insurance (I only use it on items of larger value) cover the seller if the item never actually gets to the buyer.

IMO, sellers need to decide how much risk they are willing to take because they are "on the hook" until the buyer receives the item, no matter who's fault it may be.

Do I put DC on everything yes, if I sell something for more than I'm willing to simply lose $50+ then it gets insured, and at times signature required as well.

It's up to the seller to cover their butt...end of story
Very true, I like this Mod. Very logical, has common sense, doesn't act childish or immature, doesn't make snide comments.
Kudos to you sir for showing some professionalism.

Just an FYI UPS covers package up to $100 without having to pay extra for INS, i think Fedex is similar.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

@ cham, you didn't really do anything wrong but it's still on you if they don't get their item. Contact the post office and do what you can with them. Stay in contact with the buyer and give them any info you get about what's going on. Yes it sucks and I feel your pain but it's still on you at this point.

As far as feedback, and I would direct your buyer to this post..

You, the seller, shouldn't receive a negative because your shipper lost the item. BUT you need to decide at what point to stop shipment (if possible) and issue a refund. Like has been said work with the post office first and see what happens.

I don't see a reason to leave the buyer a negative, he's just doing what he needs to do at this point since he's out his money with not item....I hope he's not being a dink about things though since you seem to be an honest guy with some bad luck on shipping.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Unhappy

OP: I'm on the receiving end of an issue similar to you. I have two tracking numbers, one from a member here and another from a highly respected online store, that are showing up as received with no other information. I had also purchased some tires from another member on this forum and they showed up today (no tracking number).

Best bet is to check with the post office that you delivered from and let the buyer know what's up.

As for my issue... I'm a procrastinator so I'll worry about it tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

It cost you $10 to ship that motor? Seems like you could have shipped it priority in a flat rate box cheaper.

When you ship USPS the only method to use is priority. Parcel post, regular mail, media mail.....they all suck. This should never be a question, you should always get delivery confirmation and insurance. You are on the hook as a seller to get the item to the buyer. There are no excuses that should preclude you from doing so. You managed to get it to the post office to be shipped so you can manage to get there to check on the status. My advice would be that if you have to use USPS, use their online service to print postage. You get a discount and free delivery confirmation.

With all of that being said, I think the buyer is being a bit unreasonable, but at the same time I would proabably be second guessing my purchase due to the influx of scams and bad deals here lately. The buyer should not get negative feedback. He paid you in a timely manner and gave you his address. He held up his end. If you want to leave a neutral that is your choice, but make sure you document your reason well in the comments.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I didn't see that the tracking number only shows it was accepted locally. it is probably still in transit. I had a book come from an amazon seller that took a week and a half+ after being shipped. Thats what happens when you ship cross country.

the guy is a total asshat though for accusing you of being a theif when you have documentation that the post office accepted the item. In that case, even the post office says you have to wait xx days before filing a claim. I bet the guy gets it in a few days... Don't forget, no mail service on monday so everything is a day behind.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

usps is anything but fast or perfect. I bought a B4.1 last month seller shipped to me with tracking, tracked it all the way to my local post office, said out for delivery .... well did not get it Tuesday (the date I was supposed to get it) or Wednesday or Thursday. Friday I (the buyer) called the post office and asked whats up, gave them tracking they had no clue, called every day until Wednesday (even stopped in there one time) they had no idea where the package was.

Wednesday I opened a claim with paypal, Thursday the seller called my post office, described the package and all of a sudden they new where it was (in their office because the shipping label had fallen off). I got the box Friday a week and a half late but I got it.

The entire time the shipper and myself sayed in communication, acted like adults and figured it out.

Moral of the story, USPS sucks I will only ship using Priority its the only way to go.

Also tracking is to proove the buyer got it, insurance is to cover the sellers butt (its not up to the buyer to put insurance on the package). If the box never gets to the buyer (aka tracking never shows delivered) then the buyer gets a refund, and seller is SOL for not getting insurance. It sucks but thats how it goes.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Littlejohn Dsgn
usps is anything but fast or perfect. I bought a B4.1 last month seller shipped to me with tracking, tracked it all the way to my local post office, said out for delivery .... well did not get it Tuesday (the date I was supposed to get it) or Wednesday or Thursday. Friday I (the buyer) called the post office and asked whats up, gave them tracking they had no clue, called every day until Wednesday (even stopped in there one time) they had no idea where the package was.

Wednesday I opened a claim with paypal, Thursday the seller called my post office, described the package and all of a sudden they new where it was (in their office because the shipping label had fallen off). I got the box Friday a week and a half late but I got it.

The entire time the shipper and myself sayed in communication, acted like adults and figured it out.

Moral of the story, USPS sucks I will only ship using Priority its the only way to go.

Also tracking is to prove the buyer got it, insurance is to cover the sellers butt (its not up to the buyer to put insurance on the package). If the box never gets to the buyer (aka tracking never shows delivered) then the buyer gets a refund, and seller is SOL for not getting insurance. It sucks but thats how it goes.
Exactly! Do the above and life will be good.......yours and mine.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (75%+)

Thanks for all of the help you guys. I got burned by the post office who apparently should have informed me about flat rate shipping options. It was a hell of a day, insane line which took around an hour to get through. Rude people all around me. The entire experience of being a seller has tarnished by this mishap that was out of my control and completely at the fault of the united states postal service. I will beg and plead with my supervisor tomorrow and ask if its possible to leave a few minutes early from work to try and hopefully make it to the post office before they close. The buyer has turned into an real butthole again and understandably so, as I would be too. 90 dollars isnt exactly a small amount of money and he is passionate about his project being completed. He still has no excuse for being a real prick when it comes to his attitude towards me. I dont respond well to people like that and the last thing I want to do is help someone when they are accusing me of being a thief.

Misdirected hostility.

Lesson learned, be careful who you deal with. Always make the buyer purchase insurance. Dont do business with ANYONE if insurance is not purchased by either party. Always ship priority no matter what. And thats even though I never ever had a problem with regular mail taking more than 3-4 days to come through in the past. No more free shipping to anyone for anything...

Misdirected hostility...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

here is proof that I shipped him is item...

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cham
Thanks for all of the help you guys. I got burned by the post office who apparently should have informed me about flat rate shipping options. It was a hell of a day, insane line which took around an hour to get through. Rude people all around me. The entire experience of being a seller has tarnished by this mishap that was out of my control and completely at the fault of the united states postal service. I will beg and plead with my supervisor tomorrow and ask if its possible to leave a few minutes early from work to try and hopefully make it to the post office before they close. The buyer has turned into an real butthole again and understandably so, as I would be too. 90 dollars isnt exactly a small amount of money and he is passionate about his project being completed. He still has no excuse for being a real prick when it comes to his attitude towards me. I dont respond well to people like that and the last thing I want to do is help someone when they are accusing me of being a thief.

Misdirected hostility.

Lesson learned, be careful who you deal with. Always make the buyer purchase insurance. Dont do business with ANYONE if insurance is not purchased by either party. Always ship priority no matter what. And thats even though I never ever had a problem with regular mail taking more than 3-4 days to come through in the past. No more free shipping to anyone for anything...

Misdirected hostility...
NO, you the seller are on the hook until the item arrives. Insurance is to cover the seller if the item is lost. It's not my fault if I buy something from you and you decide to strap it to the back of a camel as YOUR shipping method.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

It hasnt even been a week? Lol, the buyer sounds like a new person to the site, and seems like he is being unreasonable. It sucks having to wait, but, jeez, you want it in a day or two the pay extra for shipping. Otherwise, expect to wait at LEAST a week, 10 days would be the norm before I started questioning someone.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by badaml
It hasnt even been a week? Lol, the buyer sounds like a new person to the site, and seems like he is being unreasonable. It sucks having to wait, but, jeez, you want it in a day or two the pay extra for shipping. Otherwise, expect to wait at LEAST a week, 10 days would be the norm before I started questioning someone.

Just my opinion...
Looks like it was shipped on the 15th, and never went anywhere. That's longer than a week ago. I'd be ticked too.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip
Looks like it was shipped on the 15th, and never went anywhere. That's longer than a week ago. I'd be ticked too.
My mistake, I looked at expected delivery date lol. Still, the shipped did send it and does have proof. Shipping is beyond control of the sender, and delays do happen. If the buyer does not receive it, then I would expect the seller to refund, but I would also give it at least ten days to two weeks from the expected delivery date before giving a refund, or expecting one if I was the buyer.

Tracking from USPS is usually bad, and I have had many packages not show any updates right up until the day I received it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

There's 2 issues on hand here.

1. The buyer is being a little ridiculous. If I was the buyer in this case, and the seller showed me a pic of the receipt and del conf slip, and noted it was sent Parcel Post....I'd just be patient. I know I have 45 days for paypal, so I'd wait as long as needed, up to 44 days LOL.

2. The seller needs to know about shipping options. You spent almost $10 to ship something as slowly as possible (parcel post) when you could have spent $6.10 (highest price btw) priority 2-3 days with del. conf. Your buyer would have their motor and you'd have saved almost $4.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

See other thread, buyer finally got his item. We could have literally started walking and met each other faster than the package got to him. It was shipped within 12 hours of him buying it but it took close to 3 weeks for it to arrive. He apologized as did I and the line of communication was never broke. We both felt bad that this crap even happened. It was Mr postman who messed up I guess. Priority is now a priority and that will never alter, and Im sure he learned a lesson about jumping the gun. Live and learn and laugh when it all hits the fan...

anyone know how we can take each others negative feedback off?