Wiki Posts
Search

Paypals buyer protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Paypals buyer protection

Over the years, I have done a lot of internet trading. I've always done my homework on who I was dealing with to hopefully not put myself in a bad situation. I have close to 3000 transactions over the years between several forums and ebay. I've yet to find myself in a situation where I was un comfortable.

Recently I have found myself in a transaction that I'm a little un comfortable with. It is too early to tell, but I'd be lying if I said I was not concerned. I've heard and read several horror stories of paypal "screwing" both sides.

With that being said, how good is Paypals buyer protection? I am the buyer in this situation. What steps should I take to help protect my situation?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

if you haven't made the deal yet and you're uncomfortable, WALK AWAY!!
if you go through with it. whatever you do DON"T PAY AS A GIFT..

maybe even make a video while you're opening the package incase it's full of rocks..
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Elite

I've already made payment and I never pay as gift unless it actually is a gift.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

their buyer protection is pretty good from what i've heard, it can sometimes just take a while to actually get your money back. usually if i feel at all uncomfortable with a deal i just move on to something else. no matter how good of a deal you find, there's always a better one out there. my dad taught me that from a young age and i have yet to be able to prove him wrong!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
I've already made payment and I never pay as gift unless it actually is a gift.
i missed this... just cross your fingers and hope for the best! be patient and if the deal goes south, make sure to keep your cool and be the mature one and paypal will work out in your favor.

i get on thetoyz.com forums a lot and their admin, squirrel, did a video about paypal claims that makes it all make sense. i can try to find a link to it if you'd like. his name on youtube is squirrelod.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

when ever I buy expensive items from sellers with no feed back or new sellers I always video tape myself openning the box

Paypal knows nothing about the hobby and goes by they are told
Old 04-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I have been buying and selling in various places for years as a consumer and merchant and am very familiar with paypal. I've heard the stories but yet to actually see one. In my experience they are good for both sides. If the item was over $250 and they didn't get SIGNATURE confirmation u win automatically for items not received. If it shows up video tape yourself opening it with NO BREAKS OR CLIPS OF THE FOOTAGE. Show the to and from address on the tape and never pan off the box. Tell paypal what happened and realize if you don't escalate a dispute to a claim after 20 days case automatically closes againt you.

Good luck and pm me if I can help further.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
I have been buying and selling in various places for years as a consumer and merchant and am very familiar with paypal. I've heard the stories but yet to actually see one. In my experience they are good for both sides. If the item was over $250 and they didn't get SIGNATURE confirmation u win automatically for items not received. If it shows up video tape yourself opening it with NO BREAKS OR CLIPS OF THE FOOTAGE. Show the to and from address on the tape and never pan off the box. Tell paypal what happened and realize if you don't escalate a dispute to a claim after 20 days case automatically closes againt you.

Good luck and pm me if I can help further.
thanx for the heads up
I did not know that about items over 250
does that apply even with tracking info??
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edgar5bss
thanx for the heads up
I did not know that about items over 250
does that apply even with tracking info??
YES
Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

What if it's under 250?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

i just got screwed on a trade he sent me a empty box and i kindof knew it was gonna be so i opened it infront of the post master. to have a witness. needless to say i got my stuff back. I try to cover my butt, but ive got another one where i paid as a gift and now i dont have a tracking number due to one thing or another.lol wow i like a thrill
Old 04-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

first thing to do, pay with a credit card only that has good buyer protections tied to it. Some cards are now NOT protecting purchases made from over 100 miles from where you live.

From there, if you have an issue, don't wait around too long for the seller to make it right as paypal has limits on how long you can dispute stuff.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by nastystroker
i just got screwed on a trade he sent me a empty box and i kindof knew it was gonna be so i opened it infront of the post master. to have a witness. needless to say i got my stuff back. I try to cover my butt, but ive got another one where i paid as a gift and now i dont have a tracking number due to one thing or another.lol wow i like a thrill
that sucks dude

thats why I'm not thrilled about tradding