Wiki Posts
Search

Am I in the wrong on this one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default Am I in the wrong on this one?

I posted a wtb ad on here and a member responded to it and sent me a pm. He told me that he wanted $220 for the item. I told him that another member had offered me a similar item for $170. The seller then responded and told me that he could not come close to that but he could throw in a receiver. He then came back and said he would include a receiver then he stated that he would sell it for $210 if I sent the money as a gift.

I took a look at the item for $210 and decided that it was in better condition so to me it would be worth the extra money. I pm'd the seller back and told him that I do not like to send money as a gift and offered him $200 plus 3% paypal fees. He responded with $212 because he wanted $200 after the paypal fees. Rather than arguing about the fees I said that was fine. Next he sent me a pm with his info and said it would be $214 instead of $212, I just sent the money ($214) via paypal and didn't question it.

Now I thought everything was done, immediately I receive another pm saying that he was going to be losing $7 on this transaction so he wanted to refund the money and then he wanted me to send him an additional $3 (so a total of $217). I told him that was fine as long as their wasn't a hold on my money, if their is a hold we will have to cancel the transaction. He told me that wouldn't happen. Next thing I know I get an e-mail saying the money had been refunded. I check with my credit union (used my debit card linked to my "toy fund" savings account). The money is not yet back into my account. It looks like it is going to take anywhere from 1 - 5 days for the money to get back into my account.

I pm'd the seller and told him that the money was held up so unfortunately we were going to have to cancel the transaction. I wished him luck and told him that I was sure he would have no problem selling the item. In response I get a pm stating that I should tell people how I pay. He thought I knew what I was doing. He also sees that I have no money if I am using a credit card and not a Paypal account "Thanks again buddy". After this I receive another pm telling me "nice try though".

Long story short, am I in any way, shape, or form in the wrong? We agreed on a price, I sent the money, he decided he wanted more money (a measley $3) and sent me a refund.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

So you are poor because you use the additional protection on your credit card. I can't believe this dude was such a penny pincher he was willing to ruin a deal over a few bucks. Not your bad.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

By no means are you in the wrong. Sounds to me like dude was just being a jackass.

You kept paying a little more everytime he PM'ed you. He lost it over $3, well good, he did'nt deserve the money.

What's his name, so i can avoid him.

Buying it like that does not make you poor, it makes you smart.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 144 (100%+)

Keep eye on your paypal account the money will refund there not to your bank account. I ran into that a few weeks back.I bought something and was refunded within 5 minutes(description issue) I checked my bank and paypal no money taken from bank no money refunded from paypal.So i figured wash paypal is not taking money and money not coming back.This happened on weekend I checked monday and tuesday nothing.So figured i was good.Thursday money come out of my bank account and refunds to my paypal. Just because he refunded and is not in your paypal or bank account is more then likely a paypal issue.It is funny how paypal can take your money in the drop of a hat but when you want your money from them it is 3-5 days just saying
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Also by no means am I defending to other guy a deal breaker over 3.00 after you did everything he asked is crazy in my book.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Paypal fee structure (from paypal site)

Free when the money comes from PayPal balance or bank account.

2.9% + $0.30 USD
when the money comes from a debit or credit card or PayPal Credit

(the sender decides who pays this fee).

$212 would have fees of $6.44, so he still gets $205.56. So he would have his $200 after fees easily.

You we're getting nickeled.

Maybe a good thing your deal fell thru?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jinxed
Keep eye on your paypal account the money will refund there not to your bank account. I ran into that a few weeks back.I bought something and was refunded within 5 minutes(description issue) I checked my bank and paypal no money taken from bank no money refunded from paypal.So i figured wash paypal is not taking money and money not coming back.This happened on weekend I checked monday and tuesday nothing.So figured i was good.Thursday money come out of my bank account and refunds to my paypal. Just because he refunded and is not in your paypal or bank account is more then likely a paypal issue.It is funny how paypal can take your money in the drop of a hat but when you want your money from them it is 3-5 days just saying
This is on the transaction details on paypal.

If you paid by debit or credit card, your refund will go to that card. Otherwise, your refund will go to your PayPal account.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Colors_By_Dave
$212 would have fees of $6.44, so he still gets $205.56. So he would have his $200 after fees easily.

You we're getting nickeled.

Maybe a good thing your deal fell thru?
That is what I'm thinking. Maybe it wasn't meant for me to have an M11 after all.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Tech Master

Your right I pay with my bank account and my debit is a back up. I really should link up a cc to pay for extra protection.I have never been burnt but there is a first time for everything. I just am too old school and on the cash only plan for purchases( except house and car)
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jinxed
Your right I pay with my bank account and my debit is a back up. I really should link up a cc to pay for extra protection.I have never been burnt but there is a first time for everything. I just am too old school and on the cash only plan for purchases( except house and car)
I understand completely. I am trying to get on cash only as well, that is why I have my debit card linked to my paypal and not a credit card. It will only take money that I have out of my account. I'm tired of going into debt for things, I'm certainly not planning on owing money on "toys". My vehicles, house, and MV Agusta are the only items I plan to make payments on.

On aside note, I believe I am going to be able to pay off both of my cards next month. One is going to be inserted into the shredder, the other is going into my fire safe for emergencies.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Best way to do things any more.My wife and I have been on the cash only plan for about a year and half. Once you get use to it is is the way to go.Sometimes it sucks waiting for things but better then dipping into savings or going in debt.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I think Paypal is a buncha thieves along with their Ebay counterparts but I do have an explanation for the delay in refunding.
Had this idiot who tried getting you for $3 more actually had the full amount you paid him in his paypal balance it would have been a direct transfer. And since you paid it to him he should have meaning he transferred it to his bank account immediately.
But because the refund was generated from whatever he has linked to his PP account the whole process had to be ran through the Fed banking system who are the slow ones.
I just had this happen to me the other day. I sold a Slash on Ebay, guy received it a week later but wanted to return it. I had all but $25 in my balance so issued him a refund assuming what I had their would go to him and the difference taken from my bank. Instead all of it went from my bank and took 4 days.

Can we PLEASE have his name. I buy and sell a lot on here and will be sure to avoid this douche.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

The money is back in the account at my credit union today, I guess it takes either Master Card or my credit union 24 hours to process. Either way it's back in there.

I am going to take this as a sign though, I believe I will go ahead and drop the extra cash and get a new KO Propo EX-10 Eurus instead of a used MX-11. Maybe this guy's greed did me a favor after all.