Wiki Posts
Search

Risky Buyers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR
Both of you, referring to 0 feedback ppl with new or recent join dates. Come on, do I need to quote myself from the early pages?
In that case...send me one of your best cars/truck and if I like it when it gets here, I'll maybe send you some money!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
In that case...send me one of your best cars/truck and if I like it when it gets here, I'll maybe send you some money!!!
Let me go create an account with 0 feedback and join date of July 2014 first and then you can pay me before I send it, then I'll keep your money and laugh as there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 191 (100%+)

Let me go create an account with 0 feedback and join date of July 2014 first and then you can pay me before I send it, then I'll keep your money and laugh as there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
You're right...there is nothing you can do about it. Well maybe besides contact PayPal and file a claim and get your money back. Other than that, yup pretty much nothing lol
Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

No...you're saying the new guy with Zero feedback should ship first so that would be you BEFORE you get money!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Type_R, you do realize it's easy to KEEP the money as the scammer. I'm glad Andy you feel comfortable enough to throw your money willy nilly and risk it in such a manner. At 162 rating, I'd gladly send to you first w/o hesitating. This is the ONLY forum that doesn't follow the lower rating ships first rule that I'm a part of.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been on this forum for a while but usually sell local. So my trader rating sucks, but I have tons of feedback on EBay and paypal. So does that make me high risk? Just asking. ?
Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

This is the ONLY forum that doesn't follow the lower rating ships first rule that I'm a part of.
I'm pretty sure the "lower rating ships first" rule was only meant to apply to trades, not purchases...

Don't tell someone with 0 feedback who is selling their first item in this forum to ship it to you before you send payment, simply because you have an irrational fear of being scammed by someone with 0 feedback. That's just wrong. Everybody has to start somewhere. If you don't want to buy from a new member, that's perfectly fine. If you smell a scam, that's fine. But don't ask a new member to mail you the merchandise before you pay. That will scare them off to eBay

And Henry is right. If you don't have enough faith in PayPal to reimburse you if you are ever scammed, you shouldn't be buying/selling online using PayPal. You belong with the other twelve people who only use money orders and COD's.

just my opinion...
Old 07-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by matt_is_superco
I'm pretty sure the "lower rating ships first" rule was only meant to apply to trades, not purchases...

Don't tell someone with 0 feedback who is selling their first item in this forum to ship it to you before you send payment, simply because you have an irrational fear of being scammed by someone with 0 feedback. That's just wrong. Everybody has to start somewhere. If you don't want to buy from a new member, that's perfectly fine. If you smell a scam, that's fine. But don't ask a new member to mail you the merchandise before you pay. That will scare them off to eBay

And Henry is right. If you don't have enough faith in PayPal to reimburse you if you are ever scammed, you shouldn't be buying/selling online using PayPal. You belong with the other twelve people who only use money orders and COD's.

just my opinion...
Good thing it's an opinion. Let em go to eBay then and if they have feedback I'll buy it there where there is actual security through ebay itself. I'm not paying the 13% in fees, they are.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Good thing it's an opinion. Let em go to eBay then and if they have feedback I'll buy it there where there is actual security through ebay itself. I'm not paying the 13% in fees, they are.
That's quite cynical of you. And incorrect. Buying/selling through eBay does not offer you any additional security over a forum transaction handled via PayPal. An eBay claim is effectively identical to a PayPal claim. And in my personal experience, it's actually more risky to buy on eBay than to sell on eBay.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

I'm not paying the 13% in fees, they are.
Really??? Where do you think THEY get the fees from! If they paid the fees and never got them from some else such as the seller, they wouldn't be in business very long. Think about it!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You do know that Ebay owns Paypal ? and they use the same policies ? In effect they are the same. So paypal security is equal to ebays.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Back to risky buyers in general. I recently has someone contact me about a nib Exo terra. They were new members with all of their 100 posts in the bst section and zero feedback. We worked on price and a deal was about to go down then he said he got one. Of course he made a post hours later saying he was still looking for one. hmm. That is no biggie. The over 100 posts all in the bst had made me hesitate from the start. But wanting to give a newb his first feedback I was working with him even though I already had second thoughts. After some more consideration I decided that I didn't want to deal with a BST only person. When he pm'd that he would take it I simply replied. "Sorry but I can't sell to you."
Nothing personal, just my own philosophical decision to not sell to a BST only person.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by asc6000
You do know that Ebay owns Paypal ? and they use the same policies ? In effect they are the same. So paypal security is equal to ebays.
I understand this, hence why Paypal takes care of Ebay a lot more so than an internet forum.

A business / auction site is completely different in their book than a forum.