Wiki Posts
Search

Controversy Corner

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Default Controversy Corner

Controversy Corner

BAN/Stop Using the 1/10th Nitro Touring Car LOLA bodies!

They look crap and are not in the spirit of Nitro Touring Cars!

Yes they make the car handle much better, but if no one uses them then there is no advantage.

Thoughts?

Last edited by black-knight; 11-19-2002 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Doesnt bother me, i'll use what others do.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

people have argued strongly on other issues to allow what ever makes the cars fastest... on the basis of that arguement how could you possibly restrict someting like bodies that make the cars quicker?

when do we ever stop porgress, and when did we ever care about the spirit of touring cars?

i like them - although the open cockpit ones do look a bit sus and the gtp ones are hard to re-fuel

i think link them to 5 port engines unlimited nitro and have an OUTLAW class - keep sedans on the ifmar cars (people will vote with their feet)
Old 11-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

i choose to vote with my arms... but yeah, Lola w/ outlaw class and keep 1:10 nitro tourers with 4-door sedans...

how's about tyres? 26 rears compared to 30 rears? what do you guys think? is there any big advantages?
Old 11-19-2002, 02:44 PM
Tech Champion

ive not worried about progress, with 5 ports etc, 30 mm rear tires... blah blah, it's just that the Lola's look shocking.

I think turbo buttons should be allowed all the time, thoughts?
Old 11-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Tech Addict

explain turbo buttons please...
Old 11-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Darkman
explain turbo buttons please...
glow plugs screw into the button located under the head.

thus turbo glow plugs screw into turbo buttons. When the Turbo Plug was invented they named it "Turbo" just to set it apart from the standard version, "turbo" sounded fast!. Turbo plugs have a much better fit via a tapered seal instead of a gasket seal. allowing smoother idle, maintaing compression etc. Turbo plugs may also have a longer life.

Last edited by black-knight; 11-19-2002 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:43 PM
Tech Addict

As long as in the end we get a level playing field i dont care what rules we use.
this is where a govening body would be good because at the moment you run at one club they have their rules and the next club you run at have totolly different rules, the same applys to some of our major events IE Meca,DSI, the electric guys rules doesnt change much from club to club but Nitro rules do
just look at the motor and bodies used around the traps and at events like the meca or DSI
Im a member of two clubs ( moorebank and Illawarra) because of the differances in rules i do my competive racing at moorebank and my fun racing at Illawarra (go the Tamiya minis)
I dont believe we have enough racers ready to race week to week to run a "touring car class and an "outlaw" class.
Just have a look at where our top Nitro touring drivers are now the major events are out of the way for the year ( i think most are resting up for next year already )
what we need is a set of rules thats binding to clubsprepared to partisipate and in return run a state wide championship for those clubs in both electric and nitro
as i said earlier the electric guys already have mostly the same rules in place no matter if its an aussie title or a club race
nitro DONT and unless IFMAR change there rules ( i cant see that happening in hurry) then lola bodies,5 ports,ETC,ETC will be only used for mecas,DSI, or your local club races which is ok IF thats all you want out of RC Racing but if you want to run in a state or aussie title it means buying 2 motors not one and extra cost of around $500
Theres talk ( at Moorebank) about running the 235 mm cars with the nitro tourers because od dwindling numbers
id like to see these cars back to 4WD with touring cars bodies also but thats just a personal option
Old 11-19-2002, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

i'm new to the hobby and chose to go with nitro, same with my bro and we are looking into racing every weekend.. we are going to try to attend some clubs races here and there... so like Moorebank Beginners Day, Illawarra Club Meets, SORMCC, Penrith Tuesday Nigths (sometimes) and so forth... we dont mind travelling as long as its worth it...
Old 11-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Darkman, don't forget Mingara - nitro's very popular

www.mingararc.org
Old 11-19-2002, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dave even that doyen of the sacred rules runs their pro class with open fuel??? there is no standardasition - an outlaw class make it very easy to spec - so long as its 200mm and .12 there it is rules in 5 words and 5 numbers!

i hate the idea that we have to measure wing cords and make sure cars a below a max height (as if there is a performance advantage in having a tall car!) - spec only what is simple to and matters - motors, batteries, capacity of engines, track wheelbase and bodies... put the rest into the too hard basket.

bk - turbo / std plugs its said to be worth at best .01hp i agree with you why not allow them all the time...

lolas dont look good but they do make the cars perform better - isnt it the best performance that matters?

why cant i run my protoform merc clk dtm - i think it looks hot and i doubt if there is a performance advantage
Old 11-20-2002, 01:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The Fast Boys of Nitro

To promote the sport, the fast boys of nitro at Auto Salon are requeired to use Touring car bodies to emulate the full size cars at the show. The general public can relate this to say the V8 supercars as seen on TV.

Just a thought, maybe the 1/8th nitro would attract new crew by having a touring car body class. . .
Old 11-20-2002, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

OUCH,
DRED the silly thought of sedan boddies on 1/8th scale cars.
That would be like F1 cars having to run speed way sedan bodies.
Look plain UGLY and not perform.
1/8th scale cars are like F1 and will not attract any more racers through a change like this.
Then we have the Holden/Falcon body issue, they are in there right class at most club events with 540 motors and controlled tyres. These bodies do not have the handling characteristics of say the Dodge Stratus or 300M.
The newbee will soon learn that when they get there prized HRT Comodore, it will be only good for a street derby (thats when they don't have to retrieve it from out of the gutter).
Old 11-20-2002, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fastolfart
OUCH,
DRED the silly thought of sedan boddies on 1/8th scale cars.
That would be like F1 cars having to run speed way sedan bodies.
Look plain UGLY and not perform.
1/8th scale cars are like F1 and will not attract any more racers through a change like this.
Then we have the Holden/Falcon body issue, they are in there right class at most club events with 540 motors and controlled tyres. These bodies do not have the handling characteristics of say the Dodge Stratus or 300M.
The newbee will soon learn that when they get there prized HRT Comodore, it will be only good for a street derby (thats when they don't have to retrieve it from out of the gutter).

Kyosho sell their 1/8th Fantom with Toyota Supra body...look awsome!
Old 11-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have agree with contact about rules. it hard enough to get ppl to run the car in club meeting, if there is too many restriction than the newbie will just leave the sport.

OTH. for us the racer. Rule it's a must for any big meeting such as the Nats or the state title, you will found every competitor will follow the rule book closely once they enter. It up to the organiser to enforce it!

for the issues of the lola body, personally I'm not fuss about that but it will be good if they have their own appearance which I refer it to OUTLAW (200mm, 12size engine) than open everything else. I think lots of ppl like that ideal performance only, maybe ppl will say it looks ugly but it does give .2-.3s per lap faster than the sedan body with the same setup.

let's face it everyone of us who like to race will try anything that we can to make the car run faster within rule book said!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.