Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #15661
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to asalas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
Setup looks good to me. First thing is check the shocks haven't leaked or anything like that. With your current shock setup you should be ok. make sure your ride height is say around 20-21mm. Check your shock shaft lengths are standard. Let us know if any of that helps, nothing obvious from your setup.
I have just rebuilt my YZ4 and gone up to 350 (from 300 cst) on the rear shocks. I have measured shock shafts and everything else. Now I need to find the time to get down to the track.

Have you heard of the 175RC Polypro Hybrid 48P Pinion Gears? Amain sells them and thought they would be a good option part.

thanks for the help.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:25 AM   #15662
Tech Rookie

Hi all

My son has a B5m that we would like to run in junior on 17.5 stock and was wondering if anyone would be able to help out with a suitable setup for him?

ie which tyres for front and rear would be best to practice and race with?
which shock settings, oil weights etc

Currently I am unsure of the exact setup and will need to check this as I bought the car second hand.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
Darren
Smarty90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 AM   #15663
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Something like this would be a good starting point
Team Associated B5M - Ray Munday - Victorian Titles - Knox - 29.11.2014

Alternative tyres could be proline positron m4 compound front and rear.
lookieaefanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 AM   #15664
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalas View Post

Have you heard of the 175RC Polypro Hybrid 48P Pinion Gears? Amain sells them and thought they would be a good option part.

thanks for the help.
I have a 32tooth polypro pinion in my 2wd & 4wd. The idea is less weight (rotational reduction is good) and less drag (they are thin therefore less frictional drag). They are fine, but personally if they break I won't replace them. My alloy pinions weigh 2g these are 0.8g. so not a huge loss of weight. They are slightly quieter. My lap times have not improved or gotten worse.

If you want them go for it. But money can be spent on more important things. Like tyres. In stock the are 3 important things. One. Make sure you have a good motor. Doesn't have to be the certified things but must be good. however, with the control motor coming in that makes it simpler I suppose and not at the same time. Don't want to get a dud, etc. 2. Make sure your car is well kept, especially the whole drivetrain. It needs to be as smooth as you can get it. 3. tyres, tyres & tyres. Without the right tyres you are not in it.

As an extra, some models need drivetrain lightening as they are more geared towards mod. Look for upgrades that save the most rotational mass. Slipper eliminators, etc.

Cut gears, polypro pinions and ceramic bearings are not big improvers as far as rotational mass goes.

Titanium screws, turnbuckles etc are not big improver either. a lot of the modern kits are pretty light out of the box.

Good luck and have fun. Hopefully I see you at the track.
Volition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 03:54 AM   #15665
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volition View Post
I have a 32tooth polypro pinion in my 2wd & 4wd. The idea is less weight (rotational reduction is good) and less drag (they are thin therefore less frictional drag). They are fine, but personally if they break I won't replace them. My alloy pinions weigh 2g these are 0.8g. so not a huge loss of weight. They are slightly quieter. My lap times have not improved or gotten worse.

If you want them go for it. But money can be spent on more important things. Like tyres. In stock the are 3 important things. One. Make sure you have a good motor. Doesn't have to be the certified things but must be good. however, with the control motor coming in that makes it simpler I suppose and not at the same time. Don't want to get a dud, etc. 2. Make sure your car is well kept, especially the whole drivetrain. It needs to be as smooth as you can get it. 3. tyres, tyres & tyres. Without the right tyres you are not in it.

As an extra, some models need drivetrain lightening as they are more geared towards mod. Look for upgrades that save the most rotational mass. Slipper eliminators, etc.

Cut gears, polypro pinions and ceramic bearings are not big improvers as far as rotational mass goes.

Titanium screws, turnbuckles etc are not big improver either. a lot of the modern kits are pretty light out of the box.

Good luck and have fun. Hopefully I see you at the track.
Hi there,

I got the 33 tooth polypro pinion gears and a set of supersoft electrons. And a second hand Yok DTM! What pintype tires do you use when practicing with carpets on?

What is the control motor you talk about? Who sells them? I have a couple of hobbyking ones and wouldn't complain but maybe because i haven't experinced anything better. What motor would you recommend? I wouldn't buy a Chinese unbranded knock off or a super expensive one like an orion, etc. What is the cheapest decent one?

Hopefully I'll come to a club meeting in the next month. I don't normally do it as I'm an embarrassing moving road block, plus I haven't figured out a wife-convincing strategy yet.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
asalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #15666
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalas View Post
Hi there,

I got the 33 tooth polypro pinion gears and a set of supersoft electrons. And a second hand Yok DTM! What pintype tires do you use when practicing with carpets on?

What is the control motor you talk about? Who sells them? I have a couple of hobbyking ones and wouldn't complain but maybe because i haven't experinced anything better. What motor would you recommend? I wouldn't buy a Chinese unbranded knock off or a super expensive one like an orion, etc. What is the cheapest decent one?

Hopefully I'll come to a club meeting in the next month. I don't normally do it as I'm an embarrassing moving road block, plus I haven't figured out a wife-convincing strategy yet.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Can't be slower than me in stock asalas. I'm about 3-4 secs a lap slower than the next slowest person. Still love it though.
kiwiazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #15667
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiazbro View Post
Can't be slower than me in stock asalas. I'm about 3-4 secs a lap slower than the next slowest person. Still love it though.
Haha, thanks, I think I could probably beat you at being slow, kiwiazbro.

I will definitely try coming to a club meeting soon. Not very soon though, as I'm recovering from a surgery.

Is it worth buying the approved Muchmore motors? I mean for somebody casually coming to the club meetings and running stock. I definitely couldn't qualify for any real competition.

Thanks for the responses/comments Volition and kiwiazbro.
asalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #15668
Tech Regular

Is there a club day this weekend?
kiwiazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 PM   #15669
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I would doubt it as most ppl are at the vics in wodonga.
lookieaefanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:09 PM   #15670
Tech Regular

Yeah I thought that might be the case. Hopefully the timing loop is running. That would be cool.