Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
QUESTION: Travelling with Batteries on planes. >

QUESTION: Travelling with Batteries on planes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QUESTION: Travelling with Batteries on planes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

Questions?? QUESTION: Travelling with Batteries on planes.

Hey guys, I know this has probably been asked many times before,

How do you go about travelling to races with Cars, Batteries and Radio etc, I've been told batteries must go carry-on luggage, but what about the rest of my gear? What goes checked and what goes carry on? Looking at going east (I live in WA) for an event in a few months and it would be my first time travelling to an event.

Cheers.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Pretty simple really. I took my transmitter as carry on. Removed batteries from it. Lipos in original packaging as carry on. There is a limit in kwh of what you can take but a couple of lipos and transmitter batteries are fine. Familiarise yourself with the airlines rules and take a copy with you so you can explain to security. Be honest about what you have and tell them prior to xray.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

On board the plane batteries have to live in their devices, we present car with battery taped in and terminals insulated. Luggage wise, tape off all exposed terminals and pack safely. We put the TX with the luggage, after all it's a transmitter and too hard to explain. Im sure others have.

It's not as daunting as you think, and look up the particular airlines battery rules as said
Old 03-23-2015, 05:50 PM
Tech Adept

I travelled from Perth 2 weeks ago back to Sydney with Tiger. I packed my lipo's in my lipo safe charge bag in my under luggage with the car. I had a small issue with security with my transmitter in its bag but when they opened it, they were ok with it. I had no batteries in it. I know guys that have carried their cars on with them. Nitro is a little different, the tank has to be empty of all fuel. Fuel should not fly.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

awesome, so i could go and take a car, radio and a few packs as carry on, correct?

or if just take 3 or 4 packs and radio (In one hardcase) and no cars i should also be fine (Leave cars in checked luggage)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cody102
awesome, so i could go and take a car, radio and a few packs as carry on, correct?

or if just take 3 or 4 packs and radio (In one hardcase) and no cars i should also be fine (Leave cars in checked luggage)
You can take your car, radio and a couple of batteries as carry on baggage provided you follow the airlines' dangerous goods guidelines.

Your radio and car can have a battery in them, provided the battery is disconnected.
Depending on Wh rating, you can also carry two spare batteries provided they are in original packaging or terminals shielded AND as carry on only.
Your radio and car can be packed into your check in bags also.

Most importantly, never put Lipos in your checked in bags. It's illegal.

Here is a link for Virgin Australia battery info, other airlines should have similar info on their websites also.
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...age/batteries/

Hope this helps

Last edited by SuperRC; 03-23-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Always take stuff on the plane you can't replace at the event in case you lose your luggage. So car, transmitter, batteries. Never take any tools as carry on. They class them as bomb making equipment. I lost a set of calipers like that once. And for the lipos you are only allowed to carry 100watt hours of lipos. Your packs should have this info on them. It worked out to be 3 x 7200mah 2 cell lipos and a 1800 mah 2 cell transmitter lipo for me last time.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cody102

There's a limit to domestic carry on of batteries.. ignore this -> (so best put packs in luggage.)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SuperRC
You can take your car, radio and a couple of batteries as carry on baggage provided you follow the airlines' dangerous goods guidelines.

Your radio and car can have a battery in them, provided the battery is disconnected.
Depending on Wh rating, you can also carry two spare batteries provided they are in original packaging or terminals shielded AND as carry on only.
Your radio and car can be packed into your check in bags also.

Most importantly, never put Lipos in your checked in bags. It's illegal.

Here is a link for Virgin Australia battery info, other airlines should have similar info on their websites also.
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...age/batteries/

Hope this helps
Didnt know that.. sorry I'll take back the suggestion.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

An article in The West Australian a couple of days ago saying airlines are tightening up on lipos in checked bags as the Fire systems in cargo holds have no effect on Lipo fires. I have always packed basically everything in checked bags and never admitted to having lipos in checked bags. Might have to review this afte the article I read the other day.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:07 AM
ekt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've only flown a few times. Batteries and radio as carry-on, the rest checked.
Had the batteries stored in small plastic containers.