Wiki Posts
Search

2005 ORRCA Qld On-Road EP Titles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bender
I wouldn't mind seeing a tech chart from the A-Finalists to see what combination of insert and rims everyone was using
Set A: Sorex C medium insert with Xenon Racing Rims with 4x4mm holes
Set B: Sorex C medium insert with Xenon Racing Rims with 4x4mm holes
Set C: Sorex C medium insert with Xenon Racing Rims with 4x4mm holes

Just to let you know, I only needed 2 sets for the weekend's racing (but this is for stock class - 6 heats and 3 finals)

Leonard.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

theres no doubt controlled tyres was a success at this meeting, ideally inserts and rims would also be controlled, and hopefully in future events this is the case...

my sets were:
Set A: Atsushi Hara V2 Medium, Yokomo precision rims (4x 3mm holes)
Set B: Atsushi Hara V2 Medium, Yokomo precision rims (4x 3mm holes)
Set C: Atsushi Hara V2 Medium-Firm, Yokomo precision rims (4x 3mm holes)

The 6 min stock races worked out well, although I found my motors going a little soft during the last minute of the finals, which was no doubt a gearing issue. I would prefer if club meets returned to 5 minute races to reduce the stress on motors/magnets and cells.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Miami
Wow, what an event! Thank you to everyone that was involved. There was not one hitch all weekend. Especially thanks to all the competitors. The event was so fun and friendly, the way it should be. Every event I have been to in QLD is like that (even when I don't win

The driving talent in QLD has certainly grown since I was there two years ago. Its great to see.

I will certainly return to defend my QLD State Title!

Andrew Abbott.
Andrew,
Glad you had a great time, (kinda helps if you take home a big trophy doesn't it).

ORRCA Qld appreciates all Interstate competitors that made the trip as the level of competition was truly evident throughout all classes. Thankyou

I hear there’s a bus being organised for the Vic's Titles next year, (tit for tat)...
Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Guys, here`s the top 10 in each class........

540 ---- Stock ---- Mod
1st Joel Gartland-- Bob Vardy -- Andrew Abbott
2nd Kirk Peacock -- Darren Matthews-- Michael Sherman
3rd Johnny Hyde -- Damien Barnier -- Andy Cooke
4th Brad Palmer -- Tom Leahy -- Peter Dooley
5th Leigh Clark -- Leonard Lai -- Anthony Atack
6th Sonny Pearce -- Martin Nichols -- Adam Snook
7th Michael Peace -- Rob Maycock -- Karl Lee
8th Peter Wilken -- Shayne Pearce -- Keith Mackrill
9th Kenny Nham -- Karl Redmann -- Josh Kemp
10th Stephen Porter --Rodney Patch -- Rob Maycock

Thats the top ten in each class.

The racing overall was excellent to watch and the highlights for me where Joel winning 540 and Leigh Clark qualifying 5th for 540 with only 1 qualifying run on sunday and then finishing 5th outright.
These 2 junior drivers are stars of the future......

The other standout was Bob Vardy winning stock, not bad for an old fart........

Steve (ding) Drummond
Old 09-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't mind seeing a tech chart from the A-Finalists to see what combination of insert and rims everyone was using.
From the people I talked to over the weekend, I don't think there wasn,t really a big variety in inserts and rims used.

I think most of the fast guys used nylon rims of some sort good cause they can be reused.
C med was the go for us and Keith used b med I think.

Holes might have varied tho I not sure what size I just pick a drill of the bench that look about right and made 5 hole that I could enlarge if I wanted too.
The other big factor is tire treatment on the day was very different for each race. Compound , starting temp ect.
I did get it wrong once and it was shocking on the track.
So this leave no room for error at all.
And I seen andrew glue up 3 or 4 sets of diffrent tyres to test on friday before he made his choice as well.
What works for one driver car combo doesn,t work for all that my 2cents about that.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I thought the control tyre worked really well. I had no problem with tyre wear and probably could have got away with two sets instead of three (but I think 3 sets is good as it gives you some room if you do want to use newer sets). I set TQ with a set on its 4th run and I also used this set in two of the finals (6 runs in total).

I think it is certainly much easier for people when testing to not have to worry about insert as well, so it would be good to control that. That means that the tyre would then have to be glued in front of tyre scrutineers, but that isn’t really any big deal. I am not really fussed about rims, I don’t think they really have much impact. Same as hole sizes in rims. I have never measured any of my tyre holes. I just stick the reamer in and twist a few times. Just as long as the holes are a reasonable size.

Malaboo, I actually only glued up two sets for practice on Friday to try two different inserts. For my first two practice runs I used left over tyres from the Winter Champs. I then tried the two sets I mounted up and from that I decided what I liked best and mounted my tyres up for the race meeting. That was it.

Its all very simple once you have done it before. And the best part is I didn't have to bring a suit case full of tyres.

Thanks again to everyone. I am already looking forward to next year.

Andrew Abbott
Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Personally I am a fan of control tyres for major events. Like most I would prefer a controlled (and preferably pre-glued) tyre/insert/rim combo, but I thought the system we used for this event worked well and was a realistic approach. It certainly much reduced the complexity of testing and preparing for the event as far as tyres go. Testing one or two different insert combinations is a lot easier than testing multiple inserts with multiple tyre options.

My only comments (and these are minor thoughts for next year, not serious criticism) would be that:

a. we should either restrict competitors to using "full sets" of tyres right through the whole event, or let competitors mix and match right from the word go. I'm not really sure why the mix and match was allowable for finals only but not for heats? I think its appropriate to go either one way or the other for the whole event.

b. I'm not sure of the purpose of running an impound for qualifying but then releasing tyres for the finals. I can understand releasing tyres back to those not making "a" finals, but I think if we are going to run an impound then we should run it right through until the event is decided.

all in all a good innovation I think - and well done to heavy, mark and the others who helped run the tyre impound (particularly for 2 1/2 hours saturday morning getting everybody's tyres checked in)
I would tell you what inserts I chose - but I didn't make the a final (which was a driver issue, not an insert/wheel/tyre issue!)
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Malaboo, I actually only glued up two sets for practice on Friday to try two different inserts. For my first two practice runs I used left over tyres from the Winter Champs. I then tried the two sets I mounted up and from that I decided what I liked best and mounted my tyres up for the race meeting. That was it.
Sorry Andrew I should have said you only need to test three or four sets of tyres cause you run twice before I talked to you, then you we glueing up two new set to tryes right. Does this not add up to three or four diff types all togeather. I might be wrong they might have been the same as the old ones.
Meaning if you had that decided for you it would only be setup and driving for you to worry about.
So for the event to cost less for the competitors s why not help them decide if they can chose only one for all. By letting them know which was the best for you in the end.
Malcome
Old 09-20-2005, 03:41 AM
Tech Regular

This event was fantastic and I had a great weekend!

Well done and thanks to all the people that helped prepare and run the event with Steve, Martin, Dave et al. The event ran flawlessly and it was a joy to be part of.

I will definitely be looking forward to racing again next year for more fun and great racing.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default Thoughts

Constructive criticism:

See Scott G's comments (I can't be bothered typing out the same thing using slightly different wording).

As for my tyre setup - Yokomo plastic precision rims, type C firm inserts, 36R and six 4.5mm holes - same on all three sets of tyres. - As for additives - I'm not really convinced they make a world of difference - throughout the finals I ran the same set of tyres - which were only cleaned with simple green prior to and after each race - and the grip seemed to be just as good as with any of the other compounds I used - dip grip, tweek, FX2.

Ideally control the tyres, rims and insert with a handout set - pre glued and prepared - possibly takeoff tyres - but any mainstream rubber tyre would be good - and ban all traction additives. - that would be pretty neat!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Default Thanks

A massive thanks must go to all involved in the organisation and running of the event, especially Steve D, Tyson W, Richard L, Heavy, Mark R, Adrian B and everyone else involved - beautifully run meeting - naturally.