Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AARCMCC Sanctioned Truck Classes Survey – Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Radio Active
The following are my thoughts. Though they have been formed in part through discussion with the group at my club, they do not necessarily reflect exactly Maitland's position. The talk and debate we had on the topic can be found in part here: http://www.morcc.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=3905.0

The Super Stock (10.5NB/13.5B) option has a number of things going for it. It's slow enough for the current Stock guys to race, but quick enough for the current Mod guys to have fun with. Feedback I've had suggests this is the best compromise.

Truck is one of the easiest classes to drive, so increasing the speed of the slowest class a bit is unlikely to kill it. Full Modified classes without feeder classes though are the hardest to sustain. They fluctuate in numbers the most because you need experience to break into them. You only have to look at the situation with 12th scale to see another example of this. When Truck was only full Mod, the cars were slower than they are now, but even then Truck was what you did on the Sunday of the Nats if you didn't drive 4WD 540, it wasn't a popular club day option.

I agree with Scott on this one. Picking a motor format between Mod and Stock will bring the 2 groups together, giving Stadium Truck the best chance to flourish with combined numbers.

The motor choice is likely to be a good one too. The 10.5NB format is popular for SCT in many places. In NSW it has been shown to be evenly matched with 13.5B – a motor format that is commonly used at Victorian onroad events. 10.5NB 1S 12th scale is gaining popularity in some places in Aus too (it's the format for Stock in Europe). So these motors are readily available, both as new and as second hand, which is a benefit for a new class.

The parity between 10.5NB and 13.5B is also a real blessing, it means that any ESC is appropriate. You can get into the new format just by picking up a new motor, and not an ESC and motor.
Having a controlled class with 2 very different motor/speedy set ups just sounds dumb to me!
Going back to having boosted speedies again will just bring out the laptops and make it a software war again, besides no class in offroad uses 13.5 now and making a new class to include them just in case some onroad guys might want to join in is silly, they buy new motors all the time as they are always updating to get an edge over each other.
If its only 10.5 blinky, then C should work.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

All good suggestions and discussion coming in...
Am simply commenting to bump this discussion topic back to the top of the list and also remind those just commenting that none of these 'options' are as yet set in stone. They have just been offered to encourage AARCMCC to take notice of what we, the racer, want in terms of having SCT included as a Nats class, and providing for ST drivers with a potential new motor/speedy combination.
Please list the options, A, B, C or D in order of your own preference to allow AARCMCC to see what the most popular format may be. Remember this is not a vote, its a survey of your opinions that can be presented to support a future proposal.
Thanks
Scotty G.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scotty G
All good suggestions and discussion coming in...
Am simply commenting to bump this discussion topic back to the top of the list and also remind those just commenting that none of these 'options' are as yet set in stone. They have just been offered to encourage AARCMCC to take notice of what we, the racer, want in terms of having SCT included as a Nats class, and providing for ST drivers with a potential new motor/speedy combination.
Please list the options, A, B, C or D in order of your own preference to allow AARCMCC to see what the most popular format may be. Remember this is not a vote, its a survey of your opinions that can be presented to support a future proposal.
Thanks
Scotty G.
It's also worth pointing out that, like all the votes that go out at the moment, the survey has a space for each club to write comments and provide further information to AARCMCC. I wrote about 5 paragraphs for Maitland. If your club feels an intermediate solution is the right option, but thinks it should be tweaked from what has been stated in the survey, that is the ideal place to make those comments.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+1 for option C
Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
ajj
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

As stadium truck is gaining momentum at our club we have introduced option C as our class rules. SCT is also our biggest class. So we'd vote along the lines of C,B,A,D
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

New indoor track on the gold coast has just introduced stadium truck and as most of us are buying them for first time we are going to run 10.5 blinky
Old 08-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cloaked
B
A
D
C

Sorry don't like the Idea of mixing ST with SCT.
Cloaked, just to clarify, we are not proposing mixing the two types of vehicles
The survey simply asks if racers would support a new ST class that would use the same motor/ESC platform as has been accepted in the SCT class. This option would see SCT officially introduced as a Nats class, and see the demise of both Stock and Mod truck in lieu of the proposed 10.5 blinky truck class.

Also a big like for Goodwood and the Gold Coast for setting the bar and already introducing the 10.5/blinky ST class at a local level, you guys have the jump on us all!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Default Survey Results are in

Results are in for the survey. Thanks to all clubs who participated.

C: SCT & 10.5 Zero/13.5 boosted Truck - Most Popular first preference
B: SCT & keep Mod Truck - Most Popular second Preference
A: SCT & keep Stock Truck - Most popular third preference
D: Stock Truck & Mod Truck (no change to classes) - 100% of clubs had this option as the fourth preference.

Some good suggestions were made and I will be using the detail to draft an official voting form to be sent out to clubs ASAP.

Again a reminder - this wasn't a vote for a rule change ...... the actual rule change voting form will present the options a little differently given the comments made in the survey responses. I hope this will ensure preferences people have discussed on this thread and club comments in the survey responses are represented in the most part in the official voting form.

Thanks

Michael
EP Offroad

Last edited by EP Offroad; 09-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

well after 3 runs of the new Staduim truck class we started all running 10.5 the racing is very close and the feild has nearly doubled in just 3 weeks we had 4 to start with now last club meet we had 9 and i know there is more on the way

10.5 blinky can be a very cheap way to race and everyone is on a level playing feild , i look forward to seeing the official voting paper as 10.5 Blinky Truck has been a real winner and great fun

and now with atleast 4 good brands all making Trucks its looking great for the future of Truck racing
Old 09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DBL15
well after 3 runs of the new Staduim truck class we started all running 10.5 the racing is very close and the feild has nearly doubled in just 3 weeks we had 4 to start with now last club meet we had 9 and i know there is more on the way

10.5 blinky can be a very cheap way to race and everyone is on a level playing feild , i look forward to seeing the official voting paper as 10.5 Blinky Truck has been a real winner and great fun

and now with atleast 4 good brands all making Trucks its looking great for the future of Truck racing
Great feedback.

Just makes perfect sence that ST and SCT run the same rules (10.5 blinky) it means you don't have to buy too many different esc, motors.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

B. The way I'm looking at it is why have to controlled truck classes.