Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
How important is your transmitter, receiver and servo - really? >

How important is your transmitter, receiver and servo - really?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How important is your transmitter, receiver and servo - really?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default How important is your transmitter, receiver and servo - really?

I知 a little overdue for one of my blonde threads so I thought I would fire off this one.

About a year ago now I picked up a used B44.1 that has a Spektrum DX3S transmitter and a Spektrum receiver, and whilst I知 not sure on the servo, I知 pretty sure that would be a good brand/model also.

Then I picked up a B4.1 roller, in which I installed a cheapo Hobbyking control and receiver, with a bluebird servo of some sort. Excuse my ignorance but I don稚 have it all in front of me right at the moment.

I notice the DX3S transmitter is super sensitive and has all sorts of switches and buttons on it that I don稚 know what they do, but for a low-level stock class driver, how important is it for someone like myself to have good radio equipment + servo?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally from experience, the difference is chalk & cheese.

When I returned to the hobby 2 years ago I was using a 29Mhz AM KO EX-5 radio with just a basic Futaba servo - the ones that come in the base model transmitter version.

I then changed to a Spektrum DX3C 2.4Ghz system first with a Bluebird servo (not sure of model either) which was much faster than my old system.
With the old system I hard to start turning the car into the corner way before the corner, but now I can wait a bit more to turn into the corner and it also switches direction quicker.
Soon after I upgraded the servo to a Savox MG 1251 low profile servo, it's a little faster than the Bluebird and feels more "precise" in the car.

The DX3S/R have more features on them but honestly I couldn't see myself using them for what I do, the DX3C has all the most used features like end point adjustments, exponential, 20 model memory and assignable buttons does me quite fine.

But at the end of the day you have to consider what "best bang for buck" system suits your skill, experience and wallet.

Cheers
Rob.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Rob for answering, champion. Sounds like I better kick that hobbyking stuff to the kerb!

So I think I have a spare spektrum receiver amongst my spares, would I be right to assume I should probably install that in the B4.1 and run both buggies with the same DX3S transmitter?

Would it also be right to assume that the quality of your servo has greater influence than the quality of your radio and transmitter in terms of reaction times? Thanks to anyone who cares to share their thoughts on this..
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I dropped all my $100 + hitec servos for bluebird servos.1 year on and they work just the same as when i bought them.as 4 radio it depends how serious you are in the hobby but a better radio doesn稚 always make you a better driver.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Master

your probably right on your servo assumption,

When i started back up at the start of the year i purchased a Futaba 3PMX system and a S9551 servo for the touring car, Both not super high end equipment but quick enough for my needs, and honestly i havnt used any of the features on it.

When i decided to get an F1 up and running as well i dug up my old 13 year old 3PJ PCM system to save some money (and its retro like the F103), which was high tech back then, and 1 of the high end S9402 servos still worked, and it feels just as fast as the 3PMX in the TC.

Just my observation.

Beth.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Feels great to hear when people "return to the hobby" or "start back up". I am in the same boat, the bug bit me in teens back in the mid 90's, now I'm an 'adult' and have much more cash behind me, I'm back with a vengeance!

Thanks Beth. I'll try getting both my Team AEs running under the same transmitter, and see if there are any improvements in my woeful lap times!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im using a dodgy 2.4ghz Losi RTR radio out of my 1/16 SCT and while it doesnt have as many nice features as my old JR XS3 it does make the car go, stop, and steer.

I plan on getting the MT4 later on but as a quick and nasty set up to get me into racing for cheap it works fine.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Radio waves travel at pretty much the same speed no matter what brand of radio you use.
The servos operating speed and torque will vary quite dramatically depending on brand and model.
Go to this website to check servo speeds and torque specs:
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s9550
Something you will also need to be aware of is some radios will only work with digital servos. Generally older radios work with analog servos.

Last edited by ozipanda; 06-28-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by evochick
your probably right on your servo assumption,

When i started back up at the start of the year i purchased a Futaba 3PMX system and a S9551 servo for the touring car, Both not super high end equipment but quick enough for my needs, and honestly i havnt used any of the features on it.

When i decided to get an F1 up and running as well i dug up my old 13 year old 3PJ PCM system to save some money (and its retro like the F103), which was high tech back then, and 1 of the high end S9402 servos still worked, and it feels just as fast as the 3PMX in the TC.

Just my observation.

Beth.
Beth, the operating speeds of your servos: S9551 0.11 sec vs S9402 0.1 sec,
so speeds are virtually the same!

Last edited by ozipanda; 06-28-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Most important for me, is 4 channels, and MUST be comfortable in my hand

All the rest is not that important, maybe because 4 chanel controllers have a lot of options any way, so have never noticed not having something i want.

Don't think a high end controller will make you a better driver, but it will be one less thing holding you back.

On the servos, ever had a run away car due to a POS servo
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Elite

I have been able to feel every single upgrade done to my radio and servos, it's one of those "surely I won't feel the difference" moments, then you do, and it blows your mind just a little.

This includes moving to better quality digital servos, though this need not be extreme, as stuff like Savox is good for the money, my most recent surprise was being able to drop to 5.5ms frame rates on the Spektrum gear, and realizing it made a difference.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Once you buy/use the better stuff for a while, try going back as a test.

You'll find it feels terrible using the cheap stuff.

Vague slow and eratic.

Sure you won't use all of the features of the wiz bang stuff but the car will be more responsive, predictable and consistant.

Usually more reliable as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig1
Once you buy/use the better stuff for a while, try going back as a test.

You'll find it feels terrible using the cheap stuff.

Vague slow and eratic.
+1

I could instantly tell the difference when I upgraded from my Mars R with spektrum to my M11x, and Mars R is a former flagship radio.

Originally Posted by ozipanda
Radio waves travel at pretty much the same speed no matter what brand of radio you use.
The response is how quick the radio processes your input into signal and starts sending, then on the rx side how quickly the signal is turned into servo movement. Processing delays add up, and the feeling is worse when the response is erratic.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah sure spend anything up to $1000 upgrading to the best radio,rx and servo’s if you are a state,national or international driver.
But as Jimmy O says he’s “a low-level stock class driver”.

Will the $1000 upgrade make him the fastest driver of all time.Maybe if that's what he's chasing.

Most of us run for the fun of it and just having something reasonable without having runaway’s is good enough.When i’m a paid sponsored driver then i will upgrade my gear.

I have seen guys use some basic gear and a bit of a crappy car and win every race at the track and it's called skill.Big money in components can't make skill
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

$1000???

A third of that will buy you good gear, we are not talking top of the line everything, thanks to some good tweaks in the technology, most the mid range models support the same sort of speeds and frame rates as the high end stuff now, the higher end has more bells and whistles, but the midrange stuff will now run rings around no brand cheap crap, with real gains over the entry level gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.