Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Rubber vs Foam Tires - let the battle begin! >

Rubber vs Foam Tires - let the battle begin!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Vote for your club racing tire preference
Open choice rubber or foam for all classes
42.45%
Foam for all classes
6.47%
Rubber for all classes
25.18%
Rubber only for control classes (540, Stock), Foam for everything else (Mod, Nitro)
18.71%
Don\'t care!
7.19%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Tech Champion

Default Rubber vs Foam Tires - let the battle begin!

Post you comments and vote for your fav option!
Old 06-30-2002, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

for what its worth... i think there should be a control rubber class, open rubber class and and open selection (foam/rubber) class in electric... in nitro i believe it would be beneficial to again have A class restricted to rubber... but im also a realist
Old 07-01-2002, 03:05 AM
Tech Adept

I think they should leave it at open for all clubs, and at special events if they want to run a control tyre, fine. Problem is most camps never take likely to running the other. Look at the Northside club.Rubbers and Foam both work there, but most touring drivers who raced there ran on foams. The HPI series used to be huge. Now they hardly have enough people to deem it an event. The first round saw half the people running foams anyway because if they didnt allow them to. There would have been 10 people running. Whatever... I'll run whatever they tell us to.
Old 07-01-2002, 03:15 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by tabmow69
I think they should leave it at open for all clubs, and at special events if they want to run a control tyre, fine. Problem is most camps never take likely to running the other. Look at the Northside club.Rubbers and Foam both work there, but most touring drivers who raced there ran on foams. The HPI series used to be huge. Now they hardly have enough people to deem it an event. The first round saw half the people running foams anyway because if they didnt allow them to. There would have been 10 people running. Whatever... I'll run whatever they tell us to.
i agree with the boy from the 'ville (Wombat)

I like the idea of letting each individual racer decide what tires they want to run. 8 / 10 times the choice is foam, at some meets i have used both rubber and foam depending on track conditions etc.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

ive made my point in this forum as well as Illawarras forum (who are getting ideas for there rules next year)

Foams rules, but let he who drives decide
Old 07-01-2002, 04:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

well for some reason i drive faster on rubbers with my car. i just like the way my car drives with rubbers. I also prefer a bit of understeer than oversteer.. just suits my driving style.. i dont care what i race on.. but i would rather have the choice
Old 07-01-2002, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

So with all this controversy what do you guys run at nationals?
Old 07-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by David

Foams rules, but let he who drives decide
i dont understand why all the trouble with concepts of control tyres... all the top formulas 1:1 (and a lot of R/C) in all countries that i can think of run control tyres (rally and drag racing aside)

so its probably the exception rather than the rule that the driver decides what tyre they will run

in NSW there almost seems to be a phobia of anything other than foam!
Old 07-01-2002, 04:41 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by contact

i dont understand why all the trouble with concepts of control tyres... all the top formulas 1:1 (and a lot of R/C) in all countries that i can think of run control tyres (rally and drag racing aside)

so its probably the exception rather than the rule that the driver decides what tyre they will run

in NSW there almost seems to be a phobia of anything other than foam!

i dont understand the BIG push for a control tyre as was said in our forum contact if your loking to reduce costs the look at the batteries ( in 540 and stock anyway) not a $23 pair of tyre/foams

After all vararity is the spice of life is it not

Last edited by David; 07-01-2002 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Tech Addict

i dont think any 1/8th scale cars were on rubber when we had the worlds last year either
Old 07-01-2002, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

david i think your missing my point, im not suggestiing that a control tyre (be it rubber or foam) or straight rubber tyres will have any bearing on cost (foam is not that much different in cost or flavours of the month syndrome when ware retes etc are added to the equation). on other bb's there has been a mention of control tyres, but ive not said much on in that froum

i do think it will have a bearing on the racing which is why most top 1:1 formulas have control (rubber) tyres to make the racing better

also i dont think anyone is suggesting anything for nitro cars of any scale other than 1/5 and 1/8th off road with i think you will find also run on shock of shocks rubber
Old 07-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by fatdoggy
So with all this controversy what do you guys run at nationals?
FOAM Tires at the NATIONALS!

Just the way i like it!
Old 07-01-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

If the racers were given the choice to race what they want (foam or rubber) then the argument is over, end of story.

A rubber control tire can make for closer racing, but the cost savings are small.
Old 07-01-2002, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

what do they run the worlds on? the reedy international, LRP masters.... does the list go on? or dont they count?
Old 07-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

Is this debate in regards to the NSW track tour or just in general or what ?

If its for the tour I think its very unrealistic to expect control tires, when people are comming from all over the place and may not have access to a specific tyre or basicaly just want run what they have.
Even if the committee is suppling them I still think its unreasonable to expect people to purchase tires just for these events especialy if there not ideal for their local club surface.

Some people will more than likely only go to some of the tour events, and if they need specific tires they will probly go to even less.

If its for one club or track it might be a good thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.