Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
embrace change or stick to the old formular????? >

embrace change or stick to the old formular?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

embrace change or stick to the old formular?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default embrace change or stick to the old formular?????

Hi all
Just thought I'd raise the question of SCT participation in major events,
It seems to me that SCT is the best thing to hit RC in AUS (if not the world) for quite some time
BUT
It looks like the govening bodies, either aarcmac or state bodies (NSW club series, in particular) seem to be excluding a great number of NEW RC participants, and WHY?
Maybe it's self preservation of certain clubs, to keep their NUMBER 1 status.
I for one am amazed how SCT isn't allowed to compete, it's not like we've got 50+ entries at ALL club meets week in week out (once again I'm speaking of NSW, as that's where I'm from)
I Vote,
EMBRACE CHANGE.
and let this hobby grow and not die from fear of being mortal
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi mate totally agree with what your saying

In saying that we are a brand new club on the gold coast and we run 2wd SCT and 4wd SCT every club meet and normally have between 14 to 18 in each division

I know we are in QLD but most QLD clubs run SCT

There great for starters and even better for kids IMO

And we are also putting electric 1/8th buggies on the map as well with 20+ in our club alone
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

From my casual observation and I could be wrong because I have yet to really attend any offroad events; it seems like Nitro 1/8 buggy is the dominant off road vehicle.

Every track I look at 1/8 nitro buggy / truggy is the most popular class followed by EP buggy / truggy and short couse well, seems more like a novelty. Personally I love the handling of short course vehicles, just the way they drive makes them fun, I've owned buggies in the past and they are fun but not as fun imo. A lot of people in the states seemed annoyed short course is so big, but it seems like it's only the US that short course is taken seriously or has grown in any way shape or form as I just don't see it over here at all.

Maybe it's because they have a lot more larger indoor tracks or something I don't know, but I wish SC was bigger here. Even then it's not just SC that is smaller, it seems EP is smaller full stop. 1/8 nitro seems to be the most dominant off road vehicle type.

I've considered 1/8 nitro buggies just because of the numbers on Australian tracks but I just can't see myself being bothered with it, if I go 1/8 buggy it'll be EP.

It's also likely a scenario where people just buy whatever vehicle class is most popular so they can get regular races in bigger classes so smaller or less popular classes just don't really grow.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Correct me if I'm wrong Steve but I think you are classifying sct to 1/10 electric powered clubs. Not 1/8 or nitro clubs.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by w00kie
Correct me if I'm wrong Steve but I think you are classifying sct to 1/10 electric powered clubs. Not 1/8 or nitro clubs.
I'm not going to correct you on that Wookie,
whether SCT is looked at as being a small 1/8th or as a large 1/10th it makes no difference to this topic,
This thread is about embracing or not embracing the new classes that come along, and as a result, whether the hobby will prosper with just the "normal" classes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hell yeah the hobby can only prosper from the inclusion of sct!!! Since getting given a traxxas slash years ago and racing it at Ryde.. Years ago....I have poured thousands into cars, trucks, race fees, memberships, batteries, fuel, holidays...volunteered time for re builds... Etc!!! I've had Rc since 1988 (striker anyone) and had dabbled at racing here and there... But the sct class awoke the beast within lol...

For sure the governing bodies will embrace the new classes they are not an elite class of old men with liver spots on their fore heads and all multy millionaires trying to preserve the old ways !! They are sct drivers!!!!

It's all a matter of time till they will be included in major events...
Does not the hosting club hold some discretion on what classes will be run???
Old 04-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Look at the entry list for the Nationals (EP). 31 2wd SCT's & 21 4wd SCT's and this is for a demo class.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Its funny this reminds me of the Parkflyer vs MAAA debate that goes on with Foam planes.

Sorry off topic I know but the same Dinosaurs need to be shifted.

Hell I am all for SCT racing, its an easy class to get in to and have fun with, more pople means more tracks, more tracks means more clubs, more clubs means bigger race meets!

That can only be a good thing for our sport/hobby right? You know ... to grow?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andrew Barr
Look at the entry list for the Nationals (EP). 31 2wd SCT's & 21 4wd SCT's and this is for a demo class.
its interesting to note the number of NSW drivers actually entered in those classes though

i know this is going to end up in a huge debate, but i'll have a crack at trying to apply logic to this. Steve, have you made a proposal to the governing body to have SCT added as a national class through your club? was anyone pro-active in getting a proper discussion happening about including SCT in the club series for 2012 until about a month or so ago? are you going to go tell people who'd bought cars to compete in this years series that they now cant run 3 weeks out from the first round?

This topic just keeps coming up, "why isnt it in" "who's stopping it" no one's starting the ball rolling, thats the drama, its as simple as that, SCT as a demo class at the nats certainly is a good start and they already feature at a lot of events like the ryde open, st ives bash (EOY meeting) and 6 hour enduro, theres a fair bit to choose from, there's already good talk about it being in the 2013 CS, the trick will be now working out what to do about fitting it all in the one day
Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by NOFX
its interesting to note the number of NSW drivers actually entered in those classes though

i know this is going to end up in a huge debate, but i'll have a crack at trying to apply logic to this. Steve, have you made a proposal to the governing body to have SCT added as a national class through your club? was anyone pro-active in getting a proper discussion happening about including SCT in the club series for 2012 until about a month or so ago? are you going to go tell people who'd bought cars to compete in this years series that they now cant run 3 weeks out from the first round?

This topic just keeps coming up, "why isnt it in" "who's stopping it" no one's starting the ball rolling, thats the drama, its as simple as that, SCT as a demo class at the nats certainly is a good start and they already feature at a lot of events like the ryde open, st ives bash (EOY meeting) and 6 hour enduro, theres a fair bit to choose from, there's already good talk about it being in the 2013 CS, the trick will be now working out what to do about fitting it all in the one day
Hello Mikey
Long time no read
Regarding the proposal of inclusion of SCT in this years CS, I'll leave that to my clubs spokesperson, I'm sure that he'll be able to fill you in with the relevent timeframe.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I say Embrace them and let them run in big events as a proper class of thier own, Over all SCT's are extremely popular and its not like they have only been around for a couple of months

The gold coast indoor track races SCT's only, And they get way more entries consistently than alot clubs i know of on a normal club day.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think the problem we have is numbers, at club level SCT is everywhere, but at big events all the other classes (2wd, 4wd, etc) take up the event time, so if there are heaps of SCT there would not be enough time, what SCT will prob need is its own events, which is happening. The other problem is free weekends, the OZ race calender is pretty full, so there is not much free time, in the usuall slots(weekends), to fit in more events.

Just my 2c.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

More classes = more fun?

Overall you'd say yes but the time it takes to run events with all the different classes, the events just become too long. (it's an arguement many have)

Spare weekends, rain outs, just not enough weekends.

If you just keep including more classes it will only be a matter of time until there is a cap on numbers, or you would have to qualify to race at major Title events so they can be run in a decent time frame. Maybe we ultimately run a "A" division and a "B" division Title.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Ditch stadium truck...that will be a start (and long overdue)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

If IFMAR recognises SCT as an official racing grade class, then surely the smaller national and regional events should have a think about adding it too.
Im all for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.