Wiki Posts
Search

Computer Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are alternatives, as I mentioned previously

Sure Alycat can and does run resonable size meetings. But why, when clubs fork out reasonable amounts of cash, should anyone put up with the software when it has problems like at many major meetings over the past few months.

Doesnt the author provide any kind of support for the system?

I have setup an open-source project (on sourceforge.net) to build an rc scoring system, but it didnt get very far mainly because of lack of interested people at the time.. If any of you guys have the skill and the will, PM me and we can get something happening.

Im sure it wouldnt be impossible to make something less expensive and less restricted than Alycat which seems to be having so many problems of late..
Old 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

As I have explained earlier, its not the program it's the computer or the nut behind the keyboard. One other thing if you don't know what you are doing with a program don't use it. Alycat has a very good back up service with contacts with the developer of the program, web site with chat area to talk about the program.
But as it has been already said in this forum it was not the program that was at fault on the weekend or at the other major events that have been brought into this decussion it was human error or computer problems.
We don't have to use a certain program, a gun is not at our to do so. So if you don't like it don't use it and then we can have fun at your expense when a meeting has a delay or laps are lost, due to computer problems.
I am not saying I am perfect, I do a lot of home work to be perfect but I know I have and will screw up.
Sh@t happens

Last edited by TJ; 01-25-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I take your point Trev but surely, if these problems are related to the operator, then the program (or programs) itself must be too complex and not user friendly. The people who are running these events may not have as much experience as you but are also not novices. Something is wrong here.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:14 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

I cannot talk about other programs but what happens when most clubs get Alycat there turn everything on in the setup. You can have basic lapscoring and you can go as far as you wish. But like I said most clubs turn everything on and then get confused and screw up. I have noticed in the new version 8.4 you can only access certain areas of the program to suit your level on knowledge and experience. You have to remember that look at todays programs and computer and say 5 years ago. Certain programs suited certain versions of windows just depends on what formate the program was built on. As I have lead to believe its the same with any lapscoring program if you use an old program then it should be kept in the old operating system and vise a versa. Steve Berges runs Slyfox very well and I hope I do the same with Alycat we are up to date with all parts of the program and have the best of all hardware and software.
I have seen meeting destroyed in both programs with clubs that weren't ready or had old systems, don't get me wrong it may be fine for club racing and that is well and good .
With the introduction of transponder and lapscoring programs it is easy to run a club compared to say ten or fifteen years ago . Most clubs in Sydney have some sort of system or program but if a club goes out and runs something that there don't know then you are asking for trouble there should start of with a basic program and build up other wise you end up crashing like you do in normal racing with putting a to powerful motor in a car that you can't control. I would hate to think of how many version of Alycat are a round and to that much Slyfox that were superseded because of newer versions of windows and newer computers.

I don't know what happened this weekend and I thank Bod for that, he and his club sorted out and did a great job to recover and processed with the meeting like he does with all the meeting I have enjoyed racing with him and will in the future. I know that MM is only trying help to come up with some formate to help stop it happening regardless of the hecklers and of what program is being used. It will happen things go wrong, we as race organizer try to get it right but sometimes its not the case.

I've shot my mouth off enough sorry for the bad grammar and spelling. See you at the track next time.

Trevor J
Old 01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Problems

I have been the main person involved in our club on the Central Coast setting up Alycat, I would like to set a few things straight.

A) As for backup I have contacted the programmer on more occasions than I care to admitt, and in all that time he has given me all the help I needed without a complaint, he has even stopped by our track one time to see how it was going. He even spent several Friday nights at Castle Hill helping me.

B) All the bells and whistles are being placed on the program, because people are requesting them. And he is trying to please his customers.

C) I have had problems with the system which impacts then on the program, and I had not changed a thing. ITS CALLED A COMPUTER ELECTRICAL THAT CAN GO WRONG AT ANY TIME WITHOUT A WARNING.

I belong to a company that has spent in excess of 100 million on a system and it still does not work properly, the bosses no better and do not talk to the workers on what they need.

I am not saying there is not issues with Alycat but sometimes it is because of the operator and sometimes not, but with that I believe the programmer has done a dam good job and as one other person said put a lot of time ( having done a Basic Programming Course myself several years ago ) into developing this program not knowing if it would sell.

Instead of knocking people lets give the guy positive feedback so he can sort the problems out and make it better for everyone to use, and the most important part is to have fun I know as a driver it is frustrating waitng when there are problems how do you think the guys who are trying run the day feel.

Have a good race days.
NR
Old 01-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Tech Elite

It just makes me so warm and fuzzy seeing that no one read my post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by fastolfart
and you seem so surprised!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:07 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Well know one listens to me either but i felt better after writing it.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Lets Bash A Product

[maybe the clubs should up the entry fees to all racers at all events so they can pay for the MEGA EXPENSIVE programs along with all the other expenses of keeping a club in existance.
Major race meetings, entry should be $70 to $100
Club meetings should be $20 to $40
read it had a laugh, but ust how many people would turn up to race with entry fees that great?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

did u say something?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Champion

Allycrash is a fair target i reckon, every meeting that has had a stuff up with timing is nearly always running Allycrash, this has been the case for along time.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Over the last two years, Alycat Software has eliminated all test sites in NSW and Victoria.

As of the latest version, 8.4, released some months ago now, Alycat is no longer sold into these states.

The next step, as of the next release, will be a complete withdrawal from the Australian market.

I do not need this crap, I have serious personal issues to contend with, and after almost 20 years of this it is enough. It must be wonderful to have as your major personal problem the fact that a toy car race meeting was delayed.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Alycat
Over the last two years, Alycat Software has eliminated all test sites in NSW and Victoria.

As of the latest version, 8.4, released some months ago now, Alycat is no longer sold into these states.

The next step, as of the next release, will be a complete withdrawal from the Australian market.

I do not need this crap, I have serious personal issues to contend with, and after almost 20 years of this it is enough. It must be wonderful to have as your major personal problem the fact that a toy car race meeting was delayed.
We take fun seriosuly and when big meetings have issues we like to complain and pin point the issues. Base on what you said above you need not be concerned about our complaints it not your problem and seems u wont be fixing it.

There are ways around the problems (i.e more testing) clubs have been experiencing and as long as people voice their opinions things will improve. Peoples opinions are not always right but its a free world.

we wish you luck, dont let out rants disturb you.

silence isn't golden when holding it inside
Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by black-knight
...and seems u wont be fixing it...
fix it? How can I, from what I heard they were running version 7, that is 6 or more years old and is a Windows 3.1 program. As has been stated by Microsoft, et al, support in 32 bit Windows for older 16 bit applications is not perfect. It becomes more problematic when low level hardware interaction occurs (read "transponders") and is exacerbated with the move to Windows 2000 and XP. If they could not have afforded the upgrade fee (a maximum of $200 Au) I would have given them a copy. But then I wasn't there and don't even know what the problem was, but that never seemed to stop people commenting in these forums, just see the Brat.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Well Paul Smith I think if you feel so deeply about this subject then you wont want race an event that runs Alycat any more. So I can safely say that you wont be running at the state titles the winter championships the challenge Cup , the National title, your own club of SMA and most club in Australia. I can't say TCS because you can't run it again seeing that you have gone to Japan on the back of Alycat. I would say about 75% of RC car clubs run Alyact and the there are only two or three people complaining
Seeing that the problems you are talking about does not even concern alycat I think he deserves an apology.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.