Search

Hpi R40

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by TRAJ
relax man im not here to fight with you geezzz your taking this too far

Mugen is my choice R40 is your choice lets just leave it at that
People are not fighting just because they point out you are wrong. It just annoys me that people come on here and make posts based on rumor and what their mates car did one time, then when they get called out by somebody who has the car they just say "relax". You have a responsibility to make informed posts on this board, yours were not. Claims that parts are hard to come by, it is unreliable and wears fast and that it is hard to work on are not true, I have had one for 1 year so I know. What if the original poster took your advice assuming you were a R40 expert?

I have never had a mugen, but plenty of my mates have had them and guess what theirs have broken and had parts failure. Does not mean it is not a good car and I would never make posts based on my very limited experiences with the car.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Stick with a car that has good local support for parts, and also that other people use at your local track. These are some good points to think about. Unfortunately HPI support in OZ over the past couple of years has been very shabby. That's not to say it isn't a good car. There are also many other things to think about. Go to your local track and talk to guys that race, and see what they have to say.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by finchy
Stick with a car that has good local support for parts, and also that other people use at your local track. These are some good points to think about. Unfortunately HPI support in OZ over the past couple of years has been very shabby. That's not to say it isn't a good car. There are also many other things to think about. Go to your local track and talk to guys that race, and see what they have to say.

Now that is good advice. And one of the reasons why Mugen and Serpent is so popular, trackside support for both brands at many tracks.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I do race at our local club in N.Q. The nitro scene is only just starting to take off now and we have a couple of Mugen's (these guys have only just joined us this year and are struggling due to inexpirience), 1 HPI (this hauls arse and is pretty sorted), and one Serpent 710 (this guy can drive but is struggling with new car blues). We have no support trackside so that is not really an issue and the local hobby store is just starting to get into HPI. Mugen support is like 700km away and i think he has Serpent also (but not 100%) and parts can be overnighted or here within a couple of days. At current I have a GV BV-1 (dont laugh been a good learner car) and am finding it now to be very inconsistent from lap to lap (could also be my driving) and had some success at our last meeting. However i am heading to brisbane mid year for a bit of a holiday and was going to drop in on the Brendale track (if there is an event on around then) and have a bit of a chat and look. I just would like to know from people that have an R40 what they have found with parts and what they are like to drive?

Cheers Daniel
Old 01-26-2005, 04:10 AM
Tech Adept

hey
Traj and venom world order were refering to my old R40
the car was alrite, but just had tooo much problems, and simply just didnt want to do wat i wanted it to do, they r fragile in my terms, a lil knock on a barrier just snaps off the knuckle or just gets the camber in or out 5 degrees, the belts wear strait away, and its heavy, even hard to setup and to get to parts of the car, just to change the front belt u hav to removie like 50% of the car
you much better off going with a better car, serpent 710, mtx3 or RRR just to name a few
this is just my opinion because i owned one and im just telling you my experiences, but since i got a mtx3 my driving style has just turned into faster lap times
thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 06:14 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by AMGRacer
People are not fighting just because they point out you are wrong. It just annoys me that people come on here and make posts based on rumor and what their mates car did one time, then when they get called out by somebody who has the car they just say "relax". You have a responsibility to make informed posts on this board, yours were not. Claims that parts are hard to come by, it is unreliable and wears fast and that it is hard to work on are not true, I have had one for 1 year so I know. What if the original poster took your advice assuming you were a R40 expert?

I have never had a mugen, but plenty of my mates have had them and guess what theirs have broken and had parts failure. Does not mean it is not a good car and I would never make posts based on my very limited experiences with the car.

Well if parts are easy to get plz tell me where hpi parts were a little hard at best to get when distributed by bolton performance then dsi international took the wheel not much better there and now hobbies australia has them lets see if they are any better as for now u made mention that u had no trouble getting parts for your r40 but then you say in the same breath that you had yours for a year without problems i had an r40 as did a fellow racer of mine both had the same probs belts gears weak plastics and a chassis that would best be used as a paper weight mugen has excellent parts and service as does serpent hpi definately does not!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer

The rumors you speak of are true and the problems are not one time things, the car is heavy, fragile and hard to work on i know!

I never said the R40 is a $hit car im just stating facts that there are alot better cars than it on the market today.

The r40 might be abit cheaper than others but in the long run the R40 will end up costing you alot more on parts and lightweight hopups to get the thing weigh less.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

The rumors you speak of are true and the problems are not one time things, the car is heavy, fragile and hard to work on i know!

I never said the R40 is a $hit car im just stating facts that there are alot better cars than it on the market today.

The r40 might be abit cheaper than others but in the long run the R40 will end up costing you alot more on parts and lightweight hopups to get the thing weigh less.
Three racing loves the r40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

LOL True dat
Old 01-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jalk75
Well if parts are easy to get plz tell me where hpi parts were a little hard at best to get when distributed by bolton performance then dsi international took the wheel not much better there and now hobbies australia has them lets see if they are any better as for now u made mention that u had no trouble getting parts for your r40 but then you say in the same breath that you had yours for a year without problems i had an r40 as did a fellow racer of mine both had the same probs belts gears weak plastics and a chassis that would best be used as a paper weight mugen has excellent parts and service as does serpent hpi definately does not!
Yes you are right HPI had terrible support under bolton and around 6-12 months ago parts were harder to find. Nowdays it is far better, see the above two people I mentioned. I have gotten every part I needed.

I guess because I dont break my cars I dont have as bad parts support issues as other people. In 12 months I have needed a set of pulleys, a front bumper set and a rear belt.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

In your opinion. My R40 2004 edition with around 3 extra hopups weighs 1735g. I have broken three things in 12 months. And I pointed out above that it is easy to work on, you dont have to remove 50% of the car to get the front belt off, you actually remove 6 screws.

Anyway I realise that the Australian Mugen and Serpent brigade is impossible to "beat", these two cars rule the others are inferior.

To the original poster:

The R40 drives very nicely on all the tracks I have driven it on. I use it on concrete with rubber tires, a slippery asphalt track with foams and Brendale which is a very fast track with high grip and foam tires. At the concrete track I usually finish in the top 3, usually won at the slippery track and at Brendale do quite well amongst the drivers of the same experience as myself (Brendale has some awesome drivers). I have raced once at the gold coast and ended up 6th out of around 20 drivers first time on the track without any practice.

I have the R40 2004 kit which includes all the hopups you need for a very good price. As for setup I use a solid front diff on some tracks with the silver front springs, and on fast tracks I use the gold rear springs with the oneway.

I have not broken anything on the car that I would call unusual. Plenty of other brands have arms that break and knuckles the pop off, you can do that with the R40 as well. The belts wear visually very fast, but it is purely visually. Mine have been on the car 12 months which is more than acceptable.

Dont bother to buy hopups from 3 Racing for the car, they are not necessary.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 01-26-2005 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:32 PM
Tech Adept

Slo-BV1, Somthing to also consider is not only the avalibility of spare parts, but also the cost of spares.
If this is going to be your first serious race car then it would be a fair bet that you are going to need a few spares in the first few months with the car, which ever one you decide on. (don't mean to knock your driving abilities, just somthing to think about)
Old 01-27-2005, 12:04 AM
Tech Elite

AMG Racer as you race in Brisbane at Brendale i wouldnt mind catching up with you while i am down there so if you dont mind could you PM me your number so i can contact you when i am down there to have a chat.

As for my driving no offence taken i know that it needs dramatic improving i havent even been in the sport 12 months yet, but i have to say that it has improved alot and i am becoming alot more confident with the car.

It seems that they both have there strong and weak points (mugen and HPI i mean). And both have done well in terms of world events in both IFMAR and ROAR. Still not totally convinced that the Mugen is that much better. And one thing i dont get is with these one-way diffs, is that it must hinder braking ability?

Cheers Daniel
Old 01-27-2005, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Slo-BV1
AMG Racer as you race in Brisbane at Brendale i wouldnt mind catching up with you while i am down there so if you dont mind could you PM me your number so i can contact you when i am down there to have a chat.

As for my driving no offence taken i know that it needs dramatic improving i havent even been in the sport 12 months yet, but i have to say that it has improved alot and i am becoming alot more confident with the car.

It seems that they both have there strong and weak points (mugen and HPI i mean). And both have done well in terms of world events in both IFMAR and ROAR. Still not totally convinced that the Mugen is that much better. And one thing i dont get is with these one-way diffs, is that it must hinder braking ability?

Cheers Daniel
Unlike the others I am NOT saying the Mugen or Serpent is bad, they are great cars! Rowdy makes a good point, check availability of spares and price of spares. That is a key decision point. Go with the best supported car, and if you are new to the hobby racing a car that others have is great since you can "borrow" setups

PM sent.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Tech Elite

Well the local Toyworld guys run at the club and one of them has a HPI R40 2004 car. And because of that they now have an account setup with the new distributor and will be stocking HPI parts which will be good as i also have a Savage 21 (cool monster truck). So i am really leaning towards the R40 at the moment cause of that and cause of the ease of set up.

Cheers Daniel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.