Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM V4 - no go..

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Default GM V4 - no go..

here's another doosy - got a used GM V4 but cant get any throttle response.., led comes on power up,, steering servo works fine but no throttle response at all.

i tried it on two other cars, with different batteries and receivers, same thing... cant see a reset or program button on it..

is it buggered or am i missing something?

thanks guys!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:16 PM
DP
Tech Apprentice

im not sure but i think every time u turn the esc on you need to re set the throttle features i know one of my friends had one and i remember they had to do something like that, hope this helps

Dave
Old 12-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yes thats right, everytime you turn it on you need to reset the ESC,

1, transmitter on
2, car on
3, full forward
4, neutral
5, full reverse/brake
Old 12-23-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks guys... just cant see a reset button on this one !
Old 12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by xjoverlander
thanks guys... just cant see a reset button on this one !
Yeah there is no reset button. Basically to reset it you have to turn it off then turn it on.
Its a very good Esc, the only problem is that program feature.

Sometimes you have to wait a little before you program it.
Like Rod said, turn on the transmitter and keep it in neutral until you turn on the Esc and wait a few seconds. Just make sure the first thing you do is put full throttle, otherwise forward will be reverse on the transmitter.
Had a bad experience once when the battery short circuited in the race and i had to drive with the control backwards for the rest of the race.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)

Originally posted by 414m2
Yeah there is no reset button. Basically to reset it you have to turn it off then turn it on.
Its a very good Esc, the only problem is that program feature.

Sometimes you have to wait a little before you program it.
Like Rod said, turn on the transmitter and keep it in neutral until you turn on the Esc and wait a few seconds. Just make sure the first thing you do is put full throttle, otherwise forward will be reverse on the transmitter.
Had a bad experience once when the battery short circuited in the race and i had to drive with the control backwards for the rest of the race.
that would have been a bitch to drive. i don't understand if the esc takes all of this setting up before each race why buy it????
Old 12-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by murfy
that would have been a bitch to drive. i don't understand if the esc takes all of this setting up before each race why buy it????
Yes it was...you could see the lap times drop right off.
It wasn't mine. It's a good esc, lots of punch, very small (size of a Lrp Q2), it doesn't blow up and its good for all drivers.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Much as I love GM Speedys (the SX9 and SX12 are exceptional pieces of kit), if I had to program my speedy every time I turned it on, I would not own it for very long. That's just plain stupid.

-Scott
Old 12-24-2004, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by ozoner
Much as I love GM Speedys (the SX9 and SX12 are exceptional pieces of kit), if I had to program my speedy every time I turned it on, I would not own it for very long. That's just plain stupid.

-Scott
It did get quite annoying, mostly when you accidently hit the brake first because then you had to turn it off again.
But when you think about it most people turn on their cars and rev it then put it down. Basically you are doing the same thing, its not like a normal setup where you press the button and look at the lights, its just turn it on and pull the throttle.
It's a good esc considering its size, there arn't many bottom line esc's that are the same size as expensive top of the line ones, so for the beginner its a good choice.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:53 AM
Tech Addict

I own 2 Yokomo's with V4 speedo's.For a racer on a budget
they are great.Their small size makes them perfect for the tight
squeeze that Yokomo's demand.The reset requirement is just
part of our normal pre race prep.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by ozoner

-Scott
There should be no reason to reset it EVERY TIME... once a v4 is set you should be able to turn it on and as long as the throttle is not touched it should remain as it was set the first time it was setup...

This has been my experience with v4s and I've been running them for about 2 years
Old 12-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i like the v4.. but if u dnt turn it on and wait and pull the trigger right in then right out etc etc it wont runn properly ihve had it "auto" set so that it wasnt throttling up properly etc and in the pressure to get ur car on teh grid for a race easy to stuff up.. but there a good esc small and get goot current limits for the price
Old 12-29-2004, 04:00 AM
Tech Rookie

well, the tx is on, then the 4 is switched on, i wait for several seconds, do the throttle thing but nothing happens... after a few minutes one side of the esc get pretty hot so i turn it off.. looks like a dodgey one... btw, does it matter if the battery and motor positive wire solders touch each other on the esc?... i thought not but just checking...

thanks again..
Old 12-29-2004, 04:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in the GMv4 (not r) the battery + and motor + are the same thing.. most brake ESCs are like that but if the battery + and other stuff touches then ur in troubly.. generally if it gets warm withoug 5 mins of hard running then its stuffed.. if you are any good with eletronics open it up the V4 is easy to diagnose and fix.. ive fixed plent of V4rs because the reverse fet goes in them if you drop them once or twice (abit of a design flaw)
Old 01-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Merc-Blue is it possible to mod the V4r to convert it to a V4?
ie dissabling reverse but keeping full brake.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.