12th scale at SCRCCC

Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 12th scale at SCRCCC

Hello all,
We are racing 12th scale at SCRCCC, or at least I am going to race one, so we have a field of 1 X12 Xray. These cars will be ideal for night racing on a reduced track and are also part of the AARCMCC titles.

I would like someone to race !!please!!

Graham
Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Bump
Old 11-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm just wondering! would these cars be good entry level with something like the Hobbywing 27turn 540 equivalent, or Speed Passion speedy and motor of the same class?

They seem to be excellent quality kits and I hear a cheap class to run on an ongoing basis.

Graham
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by graham1234
I'm just wondering! would these cars be good entry level with something like the Hobbywing 27turn 540 equivalent, or Speed Passion speedy and motor of the same class?

They seem to be excellent quality kits and I hear a cheap class to run on an ongoing basis.

Graham
The country is crying out for something like Stock 12th scale.

I'm told that in the UK "Stock 12th" is non-boosted 10.5. A boosted 10.5 is a good motor to learn Mod 12th with. In the US 17.5 12th is popular (I'm talking 1S of course with all of these), most of their 12th racing is on small indoor tracks, but it could still work well here depending on the size of your track.

Remember 1S is only 3.7V so you don't need to motor down as far as 540 or 21.5 to get a good speed spec class.

I wouldn't recommend the HW set-up that they use in Mini because the weight balance in the pod is very important and those motors have a markedly different weight distribution.

I wish you success in getting 12th going better in Qld. If I was on the sunshine coast I would join you. The cars are cheap to run compared to TC.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Radio Active
The country is crying out for something like Stock 12th scale.

I'm told that in the UK "Stock 12th" is non-boosted 10.5. A boosted 10.5 is a good motor to learn Mod 12th with. In the US 17.5 12th is popular (I'm talking 1S of course with all of these), most of their 12th racing is on small indoor tracks, but it could still work well here depending on the size of your track.

Remember 1S is only 3.7V so you don't need to motor down as far as 540 or 21.5 to get a good speed spec class.

I wouldn't recommend the HW set-up that they use in Mini because the weight balance in the pod is very important and those motors have a markedly different weight distribution.

I wish you success in getting 12th going better in Qld. If I was on the sunshine coast I would join you. The cars are cheap to run compared to TC.
Thanks for your comments,
I know little about this class myself, but like Greg has stated on our "Sunshine Coast Radio Control Car Club" thread, many of us don't have the time to maintain Gas cars. Also there is a need for an entry level "quality" car that can be used right into the faster classes.
These cars seem to be reasonably priced and have cheap ongoing costs, you could restrict them to an entry level size motor, an intermediate and an open class.

I am thinking entry level at night, because we can't light enough of our track for high speed yet, only partial lighting near the drivers stand or alternately the huge indoor sports complex on carpet. We can run the other faster classes on our usual Sunday race days. These are just ideas, but worth talking about.

Graham
Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Champion

If you run 12th indoors on carpet nobody will ever want to go back to any other type of racing! At least that is my experience.

3 or 4 years ago Maitland started out with 4 cell Stock 12th. Because we kept it restricted to begin with, we now have 2 clubs in Newcastle getting full fields of Mod 12th. Unfortunately we lost the Stock class along the way, but a slower spec class is the way to get people into it.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you run 12th indoors on carpet nobody will ever want to go back to any other type of racing! At least that is my experience.

3 or 4 years ago Maitland started out with 4 cell Stock 12th. Because we kept it restricted to begin with, we now have 2 clubs in Newcastle getting full fields of Mod 12th. Unfortunately we lost the Stock class along the way, but a slower spec class is the way to get people into it.
Thanks for this,
Interestingly I just priced some new lightweight carpet, which we can turn upside down and use at night at the Sports complex. How much carpet would we need?

Graham
Old 11-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by graham1234
Thanks for this,
Interestingly I just priced some new lightweight carpet, which we can turn upside down and use at night at the Sports complex. How much carpet would we need?

Graham
The Americans and the Brits are the ones to ask about track size and the best carpet to use. Ozite is the carpet everyone talks about, but it's not your only option there is also a Dupont carpet, and the track that used to be at Laser Force in Newcastle just used an office carpet. I've never heard of the carpet being turned upside down before. We have a pretty decent layout on an indoor soccer field which is about 30 x 20 or so, I've seen a decent layout in an area 35 x 12, the British probably run even smaller tracks as they have less space than us. In fact come to think of it Laser Force was about 15 x 15, but we had to have 6 car TC races on that.

Last edited by Radio Active; 11-23-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Americans and the Brits are the ones to ask about track size and the best carpet to use. Ozite is the carpet everyone talks about, but it's not your only option there is also a Dupont carpet, and the track that used to be at Laser Force in Newcastle just used an office carpet. I've never heard of the carpet being turned upside down before. We have a pretty decent layout on an indoor soccer field which is about 30 x 20 or so, I've seen a decent layout in an area 35 x 12, the British probably run even smaller tracks as they have less space than us. In fact come to think of it Laser Force was about 15 x 15, but we had to have 6 car TC races on that.
I will look these types of carpet up, and keep the sizes in mind, thanks again for the info.

Graham
Old 11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

My X12 could be here today.

Graham
Old 11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Carpet

Hello Again,
It is looking like our best option is new carpet reversed that has a hessian back, has any one tried this with 12th scale before?. I have raced mini zeds on this surface and it was excellent. I don't know how a bigger class would go on this kind of surface.
Ozite is expensive and difficult to obtain.

Graham
Old 11-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

If Mini-Zs worked it might be worth a go. Try it and let us know how it works.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Had the car on the track today, 10.5 seems to be the limit on our asphalt surface. Although on reversed carpet running on the hessian back the traction seems amazing, unfortunately I only had a small 5 metre piece of carpet.
This does look promising and for about $500.00 dollars we could make a reasonable indoor track from this.

Graham
Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

Be sure to post some photos when you get up and running.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not to rain on your parade. But many have tried and failed running 12th scale on anything but the proper carpet (Ozite). Also you need to glue it down to ensure no edges are caught on the joins.

Ozite is easy to get out of the States. Whilst expensive yes, plenty would come out of the woodwork if we had a permanent carpet indoor facility for these beasts.

Also I find it hard to believe there is a limit motor wise on what you can run on your track. Surely you can run more power? 4 turns in these little beasts has always been awesome. Still doesn't compare with the noise of the 7 and 8's we ran in the brushed days. Thinking about it now, I really miss the 6 cell days also.........

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.