Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC Sponsorship...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi, RC PRO PRODUCTS gets about 50-70 emails a week from people who think they are fast and want to be sponsored.

At the end of the day it is about selling product and exposure, we have had sponsored drivers who go to the track with no stickers on the car, no logos on there shirts or hats etc those guys didint last long, that is the major difference in Australia, the Australian guys dont seem to really get the whole sponsorship thing only a few do, the other day I saw a guy who was sponsored by a Tyre company they were his only sponsor and he had a Jack Daniels T Shirt on, the sponsor got no exposure that day.

We all would like to see wins on the board but at the end of the day just good representation is what we are after.

I would suggest going through your local shop as most of the shops will get a really good discount if they ask the supplier for a team driver deal. I got a deal from one of the Aussie importers and my cars were $150 less than the shop pays, this was only a once off but still a good deal.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dropping manufacturers/importers/retailers an email and asking would be a good start! I'd be outlining your achievements on a state and national level, and other big events.

Bear in mind, sponsors want something for their money - they want you to :

a) Promote their product (word of mouth, talk to people, represent as RC P above has mentioned, etc)
b) Do well, so people see how good their product is,
c) It also helps if you already use and love the products you hope to represent.

You don't need to be a top 20 driver as mentioned in previous posts,(I'm not)
I think you need to be reasonably fast and also (possibly more importantly) a people person. Someone that other people can ask questions and not get attitude. Someone who's respected, and not thought of as an ass!

The other thing I would suggest is not getting annoyed if you get knocked back. A lot of businesses are not as big/profitable as you'd think, and can't afford to sponsor (or give discounts to) everyone who asks.

Not 100% sure what the top guys get in Australia, but I'd guess the top guys get at least some of their parts for free, the second and third tier drivers get reasonable discounts.

see avatar and signature RC p, you'l see I'm very proud of my sponsors.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Another way to pick up a sponsor is to look sponsored.

If you use something, like it, then put those stickers on your car, and maybe even buy a shirt or two.

Then if you are a good enough driver, you will get noticed, and then they might just come to you.

At the worst you end up looking professional and thats a good start.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lupin_au
Another way to pick up a sponsor is to look sponsored.

If you use something, like it, then put those stickers on your car, and maybe even buy a shirt or two.

Then if you are a good enough driver, you will get noticed, and then they might just come to you.

At the worst you end up looking professional and thats a good start.
the way it works at Ryper Hobbies.

People who support the store and race recieve a basic discount.
If that person has potential as a driver, is not a loud mouth, is easy to talk to.. then we will organise a discount with a distributer and get a deal with a company.

thats how it works.. your local hobby store is your best bet to getting support.. because you cratch there back and they will scratch yours.

If you buy of the international hobby stores and are known for it...then there is not much chance of getting a help from the local guys.. just because you wanted to save a few dollars.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

We at RC HobbyZone/Model Motorsports International are proud to have team drivers and customers that are loyal and support each other to achive their goals in the sport. Loyalty and having fun playing with RC. I also not that great of a driver but i am very proud to represent them
Old 07-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flanno
Dropping manufacturers/importers/retailers an email and asking would be a good start! I'd be outlining your achievements on a state and national level, and other big events.

Bear in mind, sponsors want something for their money - they want you to :

a) Promote their product (word of mouth, talk to people, represent as RC P above has mentioned, etc)
b) Do well, so people see how good their product is,
c) It also helps if you already use and love the products you hope to represent.

You don't need to be a top 20 driver as mentioned in previous posts,(I'm not)
I think you need to be reasonably fast and also (possibly more importantly) a people person. Someone that other people can ask questions and not get attitude. Someone who's respected, and not thought of as an ass!

The other thing I would suggest is not getting annoyed if you get knocked back. A lot of businesses are not as big/profitable as you'd think, and can't afford to sponsor (or give discounts to) everyone who asks.

Not 100% sure what the top guys get in Australia, but I'd guess the top guys get at least some of their parts for free, the second and third tier drivers get reasonable discounts.

see avatar and signature RC p, you'l see I'm very proud of my sponsors.
lol, you nailed it right on the head.
& the other thing that you do is help anyone at the track, whether they use the products you use & like or not, which is more important IMO, as it brings in some new customers for the sponsors, unlike some other sponsored drivers that won't give you the time of day if you aren't using their sponsors products
Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

The way we run our sponsorhips is direct factory and importer level and managed by us .We have many different levels of sponsorship from factory to wholesale .

We have josh pain ,dale smulders ,kc shore ,wayne walker and many more .These guys either give us feedback or give the factory feedback .When i ask for reports or photos they always communicate with me in one way or the other either they tell me they haven't done the report and they ask me for help or i just do it myself for them .The reason why i do it for them is because they are 100% completely upfront with me from the beginning and that suits me to a tee.

What racers dont seem to understand is that there is eyes and ears at the tracks and the manner of everyone is reported back to the importers and factories including shops in one way or another its a small world.

I have seen in my time at the tracks of sponsored drivers using other products and making excuses why they werent using there sponsors products and that's where the alarm bells start ringing for importers and factories.

If you guys think no one is watching think again .I myself get maybe 10 emails a week for references of various drivers from many companies around the world who ask questions about various racers who have contacted companies for deals for Australia and Asia .

my advice is help your fellow racers,be well mannered,do well,run all events to get the points for qualification for the worlds and femca,make sure you dont build a bad rep ,never put your sponsors down and the sponsors will look for you instead of you looking for them .I know as im a sponsor and that's how i operate.

Sponsorship is a two way deal between sponsor and racer and the sponsor wants to know what they are getting for there investment .As long as many racers wear the Amain hobbies ,rc muchroom and rc mart advertisements and many more they have close to no chance of ever being sponsored by an Australia importer ,distributor or retail outlet that includes factories who importers deal with .
Old 08-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

This may help answer your questions.

http://www.undergroundrc.com/tuning/....aspx?uID=4288
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

I read about sponsorship,can’t remember if it was on this forum or not.Might have been in the U.S. sponsorship.

The guys were saying getting sponsored was only half the battle,but keeping the agreement with the sponsor was very costly.
I remember reading how for some it was costing drivers $5000 a year,then there were other comments where it cost some $10000 and another to the extreme $15,000 to run the yearly circuit.
Airfares,accommodation,spares which are not sponsored can add up.

One most interesting comment was having to go to those 4 day events which meant 6 days in total,as well having to wrangle time off from work.Which would be quite a few days off being in the U.S. due to the amount of events they hold.
Plus any planed family events or engagements/weddings/birthdays etc were missed as they were sponsorship committed to racing first.

For Aust we might be able to get some big sponsored drivers comment.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RustyOne
I read about sponsorship,can’t remember if it was on this forum or not.Might have been in the U.S. sponsorship.

The guys were saying getting sponsored was only half the battle,but keeping the agreement with the sponsor was very costly.
I remember reading how for some it was costing drivers $5000 a year,then there were other comments where it cost some $10000 and another to the extreme $15,000 to run the yearly circuit.
Airfares,accommodation,spares which are not sponsored can add up.

One most interesting comment was having to go to those 4 day events which meant 6 days in total,as well having to wrangle time off from work.Which would be quite a few days off being in the U.S. due to the amount of events they hold.
Plus any planed family events or engagements/weddings/birthdays etc were missed as they were sponsorship committed to racing first.

For Aust we might be able to get some big sponsored drivers comment.

I would personally hate to add up what I spend a year, but I spend it to have fun with my RC and I would be attending the races anyway.
However I would be spending a lot more without sponsors, so the help I recieve by them helps big time.
For a return on there investment they obviosly want us to show case the products in a good light and be approachable but seen to be having a lot of fun. If I do really well at a race meet, then thats a bonus and makes me feel that I'm helping them back, which is always a good motivator for me to do well.
I've seen it when guys are sponsored and say things like the "such and such" is a piece of shit etc which really urks me, it's as if they've got themselves a drive for the prestigousness or the "look how good I am". Get support by what your heart tells ya and what you would use regardless. That's what I've done in the last 12 months and I can honestly say I've never enjoyed my racing so much.