Wiki Posts
Search

Pan Car Racing @ Moorebank

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Pan Car Racing @ Moorebank

Great news Pan Car racers, the good people from Moorebank Raceway are looking to get a 1/10th electric Pan Car class up and running.

So far the idea is to create an Australian class along the lines of a 200mm WGT chassis with 7.4v(2s) Lipo and open motor. Maybe if there are enough numbers Pro 10(235mm) car can run too! I saw big John running his S100 on Sunday with a 4.0 and it was insane. Not just down the straight but also through the sweeper. Tyre wear was almost none existent and he was able to get over 10 minutes out of his 6200 battery. These things might even give the 1/8th cars a run for their money.

This Sunday the club has invited Pan Car owners to come out for a practice session. They have a working bee in the morning but the track will be ours afterwards. It will also be a chance for people to voice their opinion in regards to which direction to go with rules.

I'm sure John or Aaron will add to this over the next few days.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes thats right it will be open practice this weekend atfter some track maintaince to introduce you guys to the track and hopfully give us your thoughts about the class hopefully we can get enough interest so we can run a round next club meet so if you feel the need for speed come on down.
Regards
Jon Philpott.
Secretary NSWRCRCC
Old 10-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I am keen to see how they run around Moorebank. I have started running a crc le around at sma with 3.7v and the WGT cars are great to drive. I am not sure about the 4.0 but it would have been a rocket down the straight .
Old 10-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ace955
I am keen to see how they run around Moorebank. I have started running a crc le around at sma with 3.7v and the WGT cars are great to drive. I am not sure about the 4.0 but it would have been a rocket down the straight .
You won't be disappointed. You really don't need a 4.0! I am thinking of starting with a 6.5 with a little timing advance. Even a 10.5 will still be very fast on 2s. John just wanted to see how far he could push it and he was able to lap quite consistently. The surface at Moorebank is just perfect for foam tyres, good grip and nice and smooth.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Finally a place to run 10th scale pan cars. Not sure about 2s. Stick to 1s please.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danjoy25
Finally a place to run 10th scale pan cars. Not sure about 2s. Stick to 1s please.
+1 1s please Try to keep it affordable to get more ppl to run this class

Cheers
Dean
Old 10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

There could be classes within classes.
The American LeMans series(1:1 scale) runs Gt cars on the track at the same time as the prototypes.
On that note there are quite a few 200mm cars worldwide that are not far off the pace of the 235mm cars.
I guess I will be at Moorebank this Sunday
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

what about touring car
Old 10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

1S or 2S and all other rules for 1:10th pan will discuss on this sunday and we can start drafting the rules.

IMO
2S is the same pack as TC
2S price keep coming down
2S you can run 8 mins
2S faster (maybe)...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Now a couple of people have said that they would prefer 1s! I agree 100% with the above post. Also as we have said, first try a few things then together discuss the pros and cons.

My opinion is that 2s has the following advantages:

-More people already have them
-As seen at the state titles at Moorebank, 1/12th scale became a battery war! A WGT is heavier then a 1/12th and might not make 8min around Moorebank with really satisfying power and speed if running 1s. Even cheap 2s Lipo's will give any driver power and runtime to boot.
-Very easy to go slower by creating a limited motor category.
-Moorebank is a big, flowing, smooth and relatively high grip track. 2s probably isn't as scary as you might think.

In the end, the club just wants to get the class running and will go with what most people want. In an ideal world, we would get enough racers to have a fast and a not so fast category.

Just wait till you see them in action.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where it is raced WGT is typically limited to boosted 10.5 and 1S. If you go with a different standard to that you're going to make it harder for people wanting to move between clubs.

Moorebank might be a special case because of its size, I can respect that. But in general I feel more and more like pan car racing is shooting itself in the foot in this country. There are just too many options for the small number of drivers, and there are no clear progression paths for people like there are in TC and offroad. Why, just at the moment we have 12th, WGT, F1, Narrow F1, Pro 10 as chassis options. F1 is generally raced at slow spec speeds, WGT at mid-level speeds, and 12th (which is the most popular and the only National and World Level class) is the fastest regular class. Pro 10 is of course quicker, but it's rarely seen. Now, if you add in to this pan car confusion 1S and 2S options as well it becomes even worse. The whole 1S and 2S thing wouldn't be a problem if 1S packs weren't a different size to half a 2S saddle, but they are.

Now it might seem like I'm off topic a bit here. Moorebank is a big open track and the people who race there are used to going quick. You don't have that many beginners. So you're looking at quick cars and the top level only. Fair enough no problem. What I'm asking though, is give some thought to how the drivers racing the cars at Moorebank might be able to move to other clubs relatively easy.

For the WGT cars there are a couple of good options. You can either go 1S Open Mod (only need to change the motor to race elsewhere), or you could go 10.5 2S, so only the battery is different. You can turn an F1 into a WGT car just by changing the body, so that's easy.

Badman's suggestion could work really well here. Class one could be the full 235mm Pro 10 cars running 2S packs and Wedge bodies, the 2nd class within a class could be the 200mm WGT cars (or F1s with GT bodies) limited to 10.5 motors and 2S packs and GT bodies. This would actually be a complete replica of what happens at LeMans. You'd actually have LeMans Prototype and GT1 classes.

So, if you run a car at another club normally this is what you'd need to run at Moorebank. If you have a: WGT: you'd need a 2S pack, F1: you'd need a 10.5 motor and GT body – one less thing than if you just go open slather.

A 2S 10.5 car should be plenty quick enough, but if someone really wants to go quicker then get them to put on a wedge body as well. Attach the 10.5 restriction to the GT bodies and you've got a concept.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am interested in running but I am in South Australia this weekend. I hope you get enough interest to run it at your next club meet.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think at Moorebank 2s is needed. I hope 10.5 2s 200mm GT body will be one of the options. I am running 1s at the moment but with limited pan car experience i understand runtime will be an issue at moorebank ? I will try and drop in before i head off for work sunday arvo. Which ever way it should be fun just my thoughts
Old 10-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
Where it is raced WGT is typically limited to boosted 10.5 and 1S. If you go with a different standard to that you're going to make it harder for people wanting to move between clubs.

Moorebank might be a special case because of its size, I can respect that. But in general I feel more and more like pan car racing is shooting itself in the foot in this country. There are just too many options for the small number of drivers, and there are no clear progression paths for people like there are in TC and offroad. Why, just at the moment we have 12th, WGT, F1, Narrow F1, Pro 10 as chassis options. F1 is generally raced at slow spec speeds, WGT at mid-level speeds, and 12th (which is the most popular and the only National and World Level class) is the fastest regular class. Pro 10 is of course quicker, but it's rarely seen. Now, if you add in to this pan car confusion 1S and 2S options as well it becomes even worse. The whole 1S and 2S thing wouldn't be a problem if 1S packs weren't a different size to half a 2S saddle, but they are.

Now it might seem like I'm off topic a bit here. Moorebank is a big open track and the people who race there are used to going quick. You don't have that many beginners. So you're looking at quick cars and the top level only. Fair enough no problem. What I'm asking though, is give some thought to how the drivers racing the cars at Moorebank might be able to move to other clubs relatively easy.

For the WGT cars there are a couple of good options. You can either go 1S Open Mod (only need to change the motor to race elsewhere), or you could go 10.5 2S, so only the battery is different. You can turn an F1 into a WGT car just by changing the body, so that's easy.

Badman's suggestion could work really well here. Class one could be the full 235mm Pro 10 cars running 2S packs and Wedge bodies, the 2nd class within a class could be the 200mm WGT cars (or F1s with GT bodies) limited to 10.5 motors and 2S packs and GT bodies. This would actually be a complete replica of what happens at LeMans. You'd actually have LeMans Prototype and GT1 classes.

So, if you run a car at another club normally this is what you'd need to run at Moorebank. If you have a: WGT: you'd need a 2S pack, F1: you'd need a 10.5 motor and GT body – one less thing than if you just go open slather.

A 2S 10.5 car should be plenty quick enough, but if someone really wants to go quicker then get them to put on a wedge body as well. Attach the 10.5 restriction to the GT bodies and you've got a concept.
I make sense to somebody!
In my opinion this will be a spectacle that will make people go WOW. I have a 235mm car 2s with a wedge body I have spent hardly any time setting up it will be very fast.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active

Thats not a bad idea running 235mm wedge with 200mm WGT both with 2s in the same race

Cheers
Dean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.