Power Supply Units

Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Power Supply Units

Where can i buy power supply units in sydney??

what would you all recommend for 1/10 electric racing??

thanx again
Old 10-13-2004, 11:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The most cost effective units are available from Jaycar or Dickies, you can also buy dedicated power supplies from companies such as Integy and Team much more, but you will get raped for price in Australia.

I suggest looking up one of the online shops attached to this forum, i like RC Model personally.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Sorry you will be best off with a minimum of 15 amps so you can sately use two chargers.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

i got mine from jaycar and almost all of the people in my club [around 50 people] use it aswell it was like 120 bucks and its called a powertech 15 amp 13.8vdc regulated power supply its great it works flawlesly andwill run any charger you want
Old 10-14-2004, 04:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Power Supplies

I bought mine from www.rcmart.com. If you dont mind buying online from HK then that is the way to go. For $49.00 US you get a 12vdc 25a power supply. Which is enough to run 3 chargers or a charger and a lathe/Dyno. All up inc delivery i spent $100 AUS.

Good Luck!!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default seems like a good deal to me

go for it elusive drifter if its $100 all up then itll be a cheaper/betta deal ill have to look that 1 up ........i might buy 1
Old 10-14-2004, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Default power supply

hey if u want a cheap power supply all u need is to be a student or have a son/daughter who is and tell them to raid the science block at there school. thats where im getting mine
Old 10-14-2004, 05:12 AM
Tech Regular

if u got an old computer powersupply lying around .... can convert that to a power supply .....
will give about 9 amps ... good for one charger .............
should b instructions online somewhere .....
thats wat im using ....
Old 10-25-2004, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by Besercoe
Sorry you will be best off with a minimum of 15 amps so you can sately use two chargers.
it really does depend on how heavy duty your power supply is

I've got a 10amp and that runs 2 chargers., but it is a heavy duty one that a friend of mine built for my dad.

it is brilliantly powerful and runs most things
Old 10-25-2004, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I also use a 400w computer power supply. It will run 2 chargers plus it has a 3.3v line for running in motors plus a 5v line for lathes etc. All up it cost about $60 to make.

you can find instructions on this site:

www.rcracechat.com/vb
Old 10-25-2004, 02:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Exclamation Caution

Be sure you’re not going outside the original design of these “computer power” supplies. If you’re using a load resistor to crank up the current output your relying on the rest of the components to cope, and usually these are made to a price and don’t, hence fire and/or electrical shock could result.

If you don’t know what you’re doing with these devices, it’s much safer to spent $140 odd dollars and buy one from Jaycar or alike.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default RE: Computer power supplies

In the interest of safety I'll clarify a few points when using computer power supplies.

Make sure you use a minimum 400w supply. They are rated at roughly (depending upon brand) 18 amps continuous on the 12v line, 27A on the 5v line, and 40A on the 3.3v line. Basically get the highest wattage you can afford.

Don't open the power supply case! You can do all the required wiring without opening the unit so there's no need to go poking around in there!

Most modern pc power supplies have safety cut-offs, if you exceed the maximum current they simply switch off. The resistors used to apply a small continous load WILL get hot though, I installed a standard 8cm PC fan which keeps them quite cool.

The main limitations of using a PC pwer supply is when using devices with a high starting current, such as a mod motor. If you connect a mod motor to the 5v line, it's startup amp draw will trip the safety cut-off of the power supply. But on the 3.3v line they are fine. You can run 540 motor in a 4wd on the 5v line without problems.

I havent tried it with a tyre truer yet, that may be too much initial amp draw, will have to test that out soon.

As long as you wire them correctly, dont open the power supply, and use a modern, high wattage unit, you will have no problems.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

agreed, stay out of the PSU case! I bought 3 cause I knew I'd stuff it up at least once, first once shorted out and killed the power to my house, 2nd blew itself a part, the fuse superheated so quickly that it blew then end caps apart and made a huge dent in the side of the case. (Also gave me a nasty shock)

3RD was a succes, found my error (which i won't mention because of the propect of laughter) and has run flawlessley for years, I used an old ATX supply, one with the big heavy switch, found them to be easier to operate on. THough next time i'll work outside the box :P