Search

AMB/Alycat Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default AMB/Alycat Problems

Hi Guys,

Let me establish some ground rules. This is not a forum for people to complain or criticise AMB, Alycat or Microsoft. I'm simply looking for assistance to help me with the problems mentioned below.

When a car passes our transponder loop the decoder registers a hit (Green LED flashes) but there is a delay in Alycat registering the signal, up to 5 seconds.

We are running Alycat 8.1 rel9
Windows ME
AMB 8800 Interface modified to be AMB20 compatible.

Were getting closer to replacing this system with an AMB RC system, however another local club has expressed intrest in buying this system so if we can get it working properly we would be able to sell it.

Any suggestions, advise would be appriciated.

Nerdling
Old 10-13-2004, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If there is a delay in registering it could be that your computer is too slow. I don't know anyhting about the AlyCat 8800 interface, the computer my club uses connects to the AMBrc decoder via the serial port, although it can also be connected via USB.

Here are some recommendations:

1) Don't use Windows ME. It is unstable. We had problems with Alycat when running ME. Upgrading to Windows XP is highly recommended. If your computer can't handle XP, upgrade it as well.

2) Consult with Ken from AlyCat to see what version of AlyCat you should be running.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Windows ME....

The joke stikes again

It doesn't with Microsofts own software, let alone anything else
Old 10-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Tech Initiate

The best way to cure any allycrash problems, is to delete it from your system & use something else. Sorry I did read the ground rules but I couldt help it. The made me do it.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

its actually a pretty good system when it works whick is most of the time .................beleve me when i say these guys actually miss out on racing and give up there spot in the pionts series to fix this alycat thing so can we get sum answers to try and fix this thing
Old 10-14-2004, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you tried to borrow a decoder from another club to test it. If you can do that at least you can isolate whether its a problem on the AMB side or Computer/Software.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:16 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Some you might be interested in. In the past couple of months I have been getting a problem with a missed lap here and there. To fix shut down restart it would fix the problem then on the night of TCS the computer went dead could not access anything. Luckly Linda's computer had the software loaded on it and all the entries. ( well hind sight works sometimes) any way we used that computer for the whole meeting didn't miss a lap and ran faltless. It had the same programme as the other computer it was running windows nt and it was a slower computer. So it will be interesting tonight I have my computer back for tonights racing with a new mother board. It seems quicker than before so will see what happens. Also check what is running in the back ground of the computer it could be using more memory than it should for the programme to run.

By the way "Eat Me" grow up!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Swanny, thanks for your suggestions.

the computer is a P3MMX with about 200mb or ram and a 4 gig HD. The 8800 interface uses an ISA 8bit card with conects to the mb to the timing equipment. This is also a bigest restriction as we have to use a PC with a ISA connector.

We are going to try Win98 as I belive this version of Alycat was designed with Win95/98 in mind.

The computer will handle XP but trying to work out what driver I need for the 8800 interface could be dificult (but not impossible).

soc123_au, We've not tried another decoder, but it could be worth a try. We have had a scope pluged into the system to confirm the signal comming from the timing equipment if the Win98 thing fails this might be the next step.

TJ, sounds intresting, could the problem be heat related, or perhaps a faulty mb? Let us know how everything goes tonight
Old 10-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

winme is hideously unstable
i work in a tech support callcentre, the amount of random problems we get with winme is so bad we pretty much tell people to either go back to win98se or jump up to win2k or winxp

make sure if you use win2k or winxp that you get the correct alycat version for 2k/xp as opposed to the win9x version.

see if you can get another old pc with an isa slot and try it, try different combinations of pc hardware with transponder hardware, or even versions of alycat, and see how you go, that way you can at least narrow down what might be causing the problem (ie if it all works fine on another pc with the same transponder/isa card then it's something with the ISA interface or pc itself)

you can also get problems with memory interupts on isa slots, because they have to be manually assigned most of the time
make sure you havnt installed a sounddcard or soemthign else that uses the same IRQ settings.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:43 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

nerdling couple of questions:
Is that system walters old one he ran at hurstville?
Also with version you are running 98 is very stable to be honourst when I was running that version the system was bullet proof on 98 but when or if you go to 8.3 xp is the better operating system for it, because 8.3 was built in xp so if you don't run it in that operating system you get the problem that Tamworth had and what I had when I used it about two years ago.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:09 AM
Suspended

The best way to cure any allycrash problems, is to delete it from your system & use something else. Sorry I did read the ground rules but I couldt help it. The made me do it.
I have to agree there is another program clubs have been using and they don't seem to have problems called Slyfox.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by TJ

By the way "Eat Me" grow up!!!!!!!
Taking it a bit personaly arent we, dont tell me you have shares in the piece of crap. I have never heard of anyone who uses it that doesnt have problems with it. Speaks volumes.............
Old 10-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Tech Elite

Like all things in the wounderful world of computers, some programs like the enviroment they work in and some don't, this includes the operating systems (eg windows).
With the various system configerations and continual changes that happen week for week, it makes it almost impossiable to lay down a basic specification to build a computer to.
Alycat and Slyfox both have their issues, I have seen both have problems and it then becomes up to the operator to be aware of whats going on.
Before anyone makes comments about lap scoring programs, they should try and get behind the various systems and run a meeting or two, without the help of someone who has been doing it and see how easy it is for them to bomb out.
With out guys like Trevor, Mark, Steve and who ever else runs meetings, who would be doing the hard work and copping the crap you guys are only to happy to hand out
A lot of drivers forget that to run a club with the latest equipment costs money.
AMBrc system only is around $7k,
Computer less than $1k,
Lapscoring software from $350 to $2,500
Cost of Operators time behind the computer PRICELESS

hmmmm maybe clubs should be raising the cost of entry fees to cover the costs and to get up to date equipment.
What would you do if the cost of club entry went to $15 or $20 and State / National event went to $40+

Just a few things to think about next time you attend the local club race meet

My 2 bobs worth before I go OS, pick it apart if you like
Old 10-16-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

i whouldnt mind paying that if it was for new systems/trannies....etc
Old 10-16-2004, 04:27 PM
TJ
Tech Champion

Thanks Peter for your comments.
I thought this thread was to help nerdling work out what he can do to fix his problem. Not a slinging match on lap scoring programs. Lets just stop the crap and help him.
Lets see: how many clubs would be around if lap scorers had to do it manually like the good old days, counters and track divided up in tenths or even just a lapscoring program NO amb transponders just manual input?????????

Last edited by TJ; 10-16-2004 at 04:36 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.