Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VINTAGE Racing in *NSW * for 2011.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know if this is going to make you blokes cheer or cry, but I have something to share. I was doing some track work yesterday, and running around the track while I was there was a pristine Kyosho Optima with mechanical speed control, and controlled by a period stick radio. All that was new were the batteries, and they were being charged with an Associated time charger, also in excellent condition. The driver of this vehicle? A 4 year old, out for the day with his Mum. She'd bought him a car from K-mart that wasn't going, so his uncle leant him his car that he "hadn't used for a while." My guess would be that "a while" = 20 years in this context.

Edit: Only thing is all the pictures of Optimas I can find have gold shocks. This one had red anodized shocks. The body was red and white which seems to be a standard paint job for an Optima.

Last edited by Radio Active; 02-19-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Great story, that will get a few of the boys hearts racing - would not be surprised if you had some PM's already!!

I reckon that it is great that another generation is being introduced to the awesomeness of the mighty Optima........or any 80's car for that matter. Good on the uncle for letting it run again with his nephew at the sticks. From the sounds of your description it is a standard Optima. Only other ones that came with the red shocks were the Javelin and the Pro (from my nitro fume affected head tonight!).

Cheers

Darryn
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Early Ryde track???
Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by muzza_t
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Early Ryde track???
Verycool Muzza, I noticed that at the end of the video it slips into R.A.D, the greatest bmx movie ever
Old 02-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Holy Crap - now thats going back!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Tech Addict

Hi all, Has there been any word on some dates for racing yet ? or have I just missed them ? With all this wet weather I have taken up very fast electric boats, the more water on the track the beter Cars are in storage just waiting for the next outing. Chat to ya'll soon
Old 04-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nope you've missed nothing.
I get the idea that the club/state/nationals schedule has been pretty hectic of late. Once the dust settles after April, maybe (??)

I'm actually hoping to make a run up to Sydney in June for one of the club meets in at CH just to have a run. I figured all I need is a couple of other vintages on the day and we've got a class.
Sadly, I won't know if I'll make it until some time in May, but its a plan.

In the meantime I'll keep working on my own little track and trying to learn how to drive. Hopefully I'll have some photo's to post after easter.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Tech Addict

Hi Dean, good to hear from you, let us know if you are going to make the trek for the club day and I will get my gear together and come down for a drive to make up numbers. Sad to say but none of my cars have turned a wheel since the vintage enduro all I have been doing is playing boats. Half your luck that you have a track at your place to practice on, you will be a hardman to beat.

Hope to catch up with you soon. Clint
Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Rookie

hey guys! Newbie here. What year or how old does a rc car have to be to be classed as vintage? i Have a few Rc's and wasnt sure?
Any help most appreciated
cheers
Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First up there is a Vintage in 2012 thread, 2ndly, the eligibility listings are in both this and the newer thread.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Damn!

Damn I wish I lived in NSW!!!

Here's a pic of some of my shelf queens/runners/collection......with more in the pipeline, they are all begging to be run! Poor things

I'm holidaying in Oz in July/August with my wife and 2 daughters, we're visiting friends in Perth and Sydney, hoping I can squeeze a car in amongst their shoes and clothes ....maybe the XLS, or the Intruder when I get round to painting her, or a Mid....arghh I can't decide! That is of course IF there's any racing going on when I'm there.

Great thread and well done to Darryn and crew for keeping these brilliant vintage cars alive

Dan

Old 12-29-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up Wow Dan415ms

That is one hell of a nice collection.

Lot's of time & effort put in those nice buggys. Love it. I think that Australia is getting more keen on vintage racing then anywhere else in the world. ( maybe Japan is better) Lot's of racing in NSW and lots of fun at Boondal.

Keep the pic's coming we all the appreciate it.

Have a happy new year.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MadRacer
That is one hell of a nice collection.

Lot's of time & effort put in those nice buggys. Love it. I think that Australia is getting more keen on vintage racing then anywhere else in the world. ( maybe Japan is better) Lot's of racing in NSW and lots of fun at Boondal.

Keep the pic's coming we all the appreciate it.

Have a happy new year.
Cheers!

Will be in Sydney from 18th July to 8th August 2013 visiting my mate Jason Lowe who also races so hope to meet you!

Got an Optima Pro and original RC10 on their way now......I need to calm down!