is there such a charger.....i heard of a novak ironic or something,

any help will be great
Old 07-08-2004, 11:14 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

"ironic" haha.

Novak Ionic is your friend.

It runs off 12VDC and its also got a built-in transformer for 240VAC; charges both nicads and NiMH.

Totally simple pushbutton operation with no fancy LCD screen etc, it just gets on and does its job without fuss.

Only complaint is that it only does max 4A.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Tech Adept

well i just need a "decent" charger that can charge off 240v for when im at home, and off 12v for when i go out.

ionic..ahhh new it was somthing like that

how much these go for,
know where i can pick one up cheap?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default charger

NismosR34
you have pm
Old 07-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

you have a pm back
Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

I've got one of these and they are a no fuss charger, however I've found that lately I've been having issues with false peaking. It doesn't help that you can't tell how much charge has gone into a pack. I find that you just have to guage whether the pack is charged by the pack temperature when the charger says its finished.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

4amps max? Your packs are going to stink at that charge rate. A 5 amps min. charge rate is standard now. Save some cash and buy somthing decient. Or buy something decient used. Buy cheap, buy twice...
Old 07-10-2004, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by fatdoggy
4amps max? Your packs are going to stink at that charge rate. A 5 amps min. charge rate is standard now. Save some cash and buy somthing decient. Or buy something decient used. Buy cheap, buy twice...
That depends what you're running. If you're running onroad stock, sure you'll need to be charging at 5 or 6 amps to get the voltage up, but if you're running mod then you could probably get away with 4amps.

Having said that I'd get a charger that has a few more functions (discharge, amount of charge gone into pack etc) and also a power supply which comes in handy for other things (dyno, other chargers, motor run in etc).

After running for about 6 months I'm considering this option now. The Ionic has its place for "Beginners" as its easy and has most of the options but go the CDC 6 or Millenium and buy a power supply.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:01 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Jeez its easy for all you big boys to slag off on a poor "simple" charger, but how many other good-brand AC chargers are out there for that price??

Closest to ideal (AC plug, fancy LCD, squillion features) is the CDC but that's a $600 unit!

The Ionic works great for what it is... and I'd recommend one to anyone. When you're ready to move up to a "fancy" changer, the Ionic is worth keeping as a backup unit too, makes a great 2nd charger.

And when you just want to juice up a practice pack and can't be bothered pulling out the PSU to feed your 12VDC fancy charger... 4A ain't such a drag after all - at home my Ionic gets used more than the MillPro these days.

Originally posted by Andrew_XXXs
I've got one of these and they are a no fuss charger, however I've found that lately I've been having issues with false peaking.
Had some strange premature peaking too.

I opened mine up and dusted it out - heaps of dust inside, the fan just sucks it in. Cleaned up all the connections, especially the output spade connectors.

After doing that, false-peaking has reduced a lot. With the crappy packs (non-Matched) its about the same as with the MillPro.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

i dont race...so punchy packs aint a issue..
i just need a charger that will charge both nicad and nimh without to much trouble
Old 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

4 amps isn't an issue if you've got nearly an hour to charge packs,no idea if your packs are properly charged or have false peaked and you packs deteriorate faster than you can afford to replace tham.
Good packs are over $100 by the time you build them- why endander them with a charger youve saved a few bucks on.
$600 for a CDC 240v charger-remind me to never walk into that shop.
why not just buy a power supply and a good 12vdc charger or save and buy a good 240vac charger-LRP makes one to.
Just remember any 240vac charger you buy hasn't been tested to see if it meets Aussie standards (or has someone submitted one- I would like to know??)