Wiki Posts
Search

1A$=1US$

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I watched it nudge .9980 today, so close you can smell it, almost a shame I don't need any big ticket items right now.
got upto .9993 then there was a mini reversal.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default US $

bloody hell this is good news for us that have spending issues, maybe that MCX2 micro chopper might land on my door step soon
spare kinetic combo too?
it would be a great opportunity for cashed up hobby shops to load up on spares -kits etc , even clubs that have some expendable cash could get kits ie SC10's to encourage the moms and dads that want to buy Johny a kit but find it too dear to do here?
lets hope the Yankees drop cracker on some one else, maybe the Aussie Dollar will become the World Currency
Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

lol this could explain the 2010 camaros i been seeing around in adelaide lately, 13c per dollar makes alot of difference then
Old 10-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think its great that its getting closer but save a thought for your LHS who will lose more business due to our rediculous import taxes/duties!! These import taxes were designed to protect australian manufacturing industry but last time i checked there weren't a heap of RC companies manufacturing stuff here!

If only ppl knew how slim some of the margins were for the LHS and the local distributors!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There are some great LHS around that do look after the racers and keep margins low, but there is a lot more around that take advantge of us locals, but it's hard to throw money away at a local hobby shop just to support them when it is just so cheap to get OS especially when there are some US companys that do 99c shipping on anything.

Bring on parity.... just waiting on Paypal now....
Old 10-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what are hobby shops goin to do?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Distributors will be rubbing their hands with glee as they will be gettting stuff much cheaper whilst still gauging the lhs and us with high prices. Seriously I have no sympathy for australian distributors they dont seem to be doing it too tough to me. On the other hand lhs will find it harder and harder to survive with the US$ being the way it is.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Distributors will be rubbing their hands with glee as they will be gettting stuff much cheaper whilst still gauging the lhs and us with high prices. Seriously I have no sympathy for australian distributors they dont seem to be doing it too tough to me. On the other hand lhs will find it harder and harder to survive with the US$ being the way it is.
You obviously have no idea on what happens in the real world...

There are some great distributors out there, but when their landed price is more expensive than A-main's retail price what are they meant to do??

I can't think of a distributor thats making any great margin out of RC..

Some distributors put back an awful lot in terms of support... Mugen - MMI, Losi - OMP, AKA - Ryper Hobbies, HEI with their stable of products... Sponsoring events all over the country so that WE can race...

The reason things are more expensive is largely due to the rediculous import duties these companies pay...

I am sure your one of these people who cry when they get banged for import duty...

I'll back my LHS everyday... let me know when a US/Asia hobby store sponsors the next big event your at!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

HEI is the only distributor I have seen support rc. I have seen what my lhs gets charged for parts and it is generally 250% of what anyone can get them OS for and then he needs to cover his costs. I am sorry but I do not believe that is justified. Yes I understand overheads, import duties, postage etc but come on 3 times the price and on top of that they dont have what I want in stock and generally cannot provide an eta.

I do back my lhs but it is awful hard with the high prices and poor availability.

Last edited by lookieaefanboi; 10-14-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
HEI is the only distributor I have seen support rc. I have seen what my lhs gets charged for parts and it is generally 250% of what anyone can get them OS for and then he needs to cover his costs. I am sorry but I do not believe that is justified. Yes I understand overheads, import duties, postage etc but come on 3 times the price and on top of that they dont have what I want in stock and generally cannot provide an eta.

I do back my lhs but it is awful hard with the high prices and poor availability.
PM sent...

Its the crap like this that makes it difficult for event organisers to find sponsorship dollars for local events...

Last edited by too twisted; 10-14-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

.......OH,boy
Old 10-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr-s413bt
I am sure your one of these people who cry when they get banged for import duty...
Ive been there, just cracked the $1k mark about a month back because the LRP importer couldn't supply the 5 batteries i needed. Ended up with a $175au import duty on top and the freight so yeah caution big spenders.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Ah the old evil hobbyshop forum banter,it has been a while! Damn hobbyshops coming to our house in the middle of the night, stealing our secret chocolate supplys and putting guns to our heads forceing us into there shops. Evil bastards!
Old 10-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Perhaps my wording could have been different and I should have mentioned other distributors that support rc such as modelflight etc. I apologise if I have offended ppl, I am just frustrated as I really want to support my lhs and the industry in general but am finding it hard and the lure of the high aussie dollar makes it even harder.

I generally order very little from os but sometimes I have no choice
Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually I've noticed lately that LHS prices are very close to OS prices especially on spare parts, but occassionally the big online stores have a special that is just too good to refuse. As a general rule I buy my Associated / Losi gear here and Tamiya gear OS. Batteries, tools, accessories I get here and most of my electronics, but with big price items I usually wait till I find a deal I can't refuse whether it is at an LHS or online.

Justy remember that a lower dollar also means that the importers are paying less for their stock and some of them will offer lower prices, and some won't, but that is the same for any market sector, different businesses run on different business models.

My 2cents (2.012AUC)

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.