Wiki Posts
Search

Dont buy SMC batteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default .

Last edited by mikecatts; 09-16-2010 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikecatts
Hi all..
Just a warning..SMC batteries does NOT back up their products..So be warned..Do not buy SMC batteries..They suck.
I got some faulty packs.5200, 50c, 7.4 volt..
They swelled, one of the balance wires was off.and they dont run too long..
Ive contacted Danny Sullivan (SMC)..and promised he to send replacements..That was 3 months ago..So they dont even garrentee their products..Now he doesnt even answer his mail..Shonky..
So again..do not buy SMC batteries..
Mike
That's rather odd..
I was in a similar situation just before xmas 09. I had 4x 2s 5200 40C and 2x 4s 5000 40C, all had some degree of puffing. I contacted SMC (Danny) and was told they would all be warrantied. I offered to pay for shipping as I wasn't prepared to send puffed lipos through the mail.
About 2 / 3 months later I came home one day to find a box full of brand new 50C lipos on my door step. They were all replaced.
I contacted Danny to say thanks and offer to pay for the shipping once again, but he declined.
One thing to note, is that the Lipos were over 6 months old.

From a bit of conversation with Danny, his warranties come direct from his supplier in HK and only gets actioned when SMC themselves are about to get a new batch. He got his supplier to send the packs direct to me rather than having them go to the US then back to AU.

I must admit, that I wasn't expecting SMC to warranty the packs as they were over 6 months old at the time. But I was very clear about this and completely transparent about their usage and went to great lengths to take some quality hi-res pics to send to him..
During this time, there was a couple of emails that took more than 2 weeks for a reply.

Danny seems like a pretty straight shooter, so if he said he'll warranty your packs, give it some more time (I understand it's been a long time already) but perhaps he waiting on his next batch before you get your warranty.

Keeps us posted.

Cheers
LJ
Old 04-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default same here

I had a pack that went phooof, got onto Danny and he told me that when the packs are ready in HK I will get a replacement pack as well, but he was straight back with emails, one was within a few minutes, so give him a bit of time and hopefully he will send what he said he will do.
This is the same thread as you started in the US forums, so the whole RC world does know you are not happy, but there are people in the world that cant even afford to eat a meal let along have a go about a battery pack, anyway, peace bro.
Bob
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Same as Aussie Bob here. Danny did say that when the HK stores have them in, he will ship. I am still waiting but.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Too bad about luck with the SMCs, I've had really good experiences with them.