Wiki Posts
Search

why australian distributors suck/ why people buy o/s

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:50 AM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

well MY goat is gunna be Faster than YOUR goat... 'cos its gunna have "TRF" decals on it!!

... Team Really Furry

Old 04-22-2004, 03:51 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Ohh at the Serpent Annual Goat Race.

Dont you know anything
Old 04-22-2004, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Oh Griz, The sky is falling . . . The sky is falling.

Time for a reality check isn’t it?
I just don’t see the LHS going out of business any time soon.
There’s plenty of business to be had selling overpriced toy cars - mostly the middle and lower end ones as that’s where they can make some money and gain a repeat customer.
My experience has been that LHS’s by and large do a pretty god job but the racers wants/needs are a small part of their turnover. We need to get used to the fact that as much as they might like to provide for the racer, they just don’t need us all that badly. Some LHS’s are prepared and able to look after the racer better than others.
The bottom line is that as much as they realise the Oz pricing is way out of kilter with other parts of the world, there isn’t a great impetus for them to do anything about it - same applies to the Disty’s.

I think we need to accept it, get over it, and move on.

As for telling a newbie to go and shop OS, that’s crazy in my book. I’ve been asked questions by newb’s at the track many times. I tell them to go to the LHS that’s looked after us in the past. I’d expect if they go there, they’ll get decent service/advice and just maybe, come back to race. Somewhere along the line they may well look to purchase OS, but I hope they recognise that pointing other newb’s to the LHS is the right advice.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:49 AM
Tech Adept

Well the importers better pull there finger out and look after the little local shop!

But is the problem furter on from the aus importer!?

The importer of factory they get stuff from r they the problem?

And they allready race goats lol
Old 04-22-2004, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

It's probably a mixture of an old distribution model, a small market, inappropriate discount structure from the factory, greed, apathy - dunno, specifically.
As long as the Oz market remains sufficiently isolated from others, the situation isn't likely to change much.
The enterprising OS on-line shops, Paypal, Forums like this, all open up a new purchasing option and comparisons will inevitably be drawn.

Oh yeah, for those contemplating the goat racing class, don't make the mistake I did.
I assumed a male goat would be faster, got one in from Hong Kong, but now I'm having trouble getting the ground clearence down where I want it.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

So with the new exhaust port rulings I want to know who will do the modifcations to my goats exhaust port for me?
Because I don't want to go there.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
As for telling a newbie to go and shop OS, that’s crazy in my book. I’ve been asked questions by newb’s at the track many times. I tell them to go to the LHS that’s looked after us in the past. I’d expect if they go there, they’ll get decent service/advice and just maybe, come back to race. Somewhere along the line they may well look to purchase OS, but I hope they recognise that pointing other newb’s to the LHS is the right advice.
I don't agree,

I started racing about 1 year ago, I purchased pretty much 95% of my initial kit from overseas (hobby mania and tower hobbies) I did not purchase from a hobby shop until after I got my kit and had to buy body paint, glue and shock oil.

if someone is fairly internet savvy and confident using Visa and paypal there is no reason to buy locally.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

That's fine.
It'd be fair to say I'm reflecting my own newb experience and my point was really that net savvy will save you money, but doesn't help you get a car set up like the club hot-shot who works for the LHS can.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rod M
I don't agree,

I started racing about 1 year ago, I purchased pretty much 95% of my initial kit from overseas (hobby mania and tower hobbies) I did not purchase from a hobby shop until after I got my kit and had to buy body paint, glue and shock oil.

if someone is fairly internet savvy and confident using Visa and paypal there is no reason to buy locally.
The problem with the LHS and distribution net in OZ is posts like that. I just want to know what you would have done if there wasn't a hobby shop for you to get those bits at? Where would the plugs, fuel emergency parts, etc come from. The reason there may not have been a hobby shop there is becuase YOU won't support them. We pay a premium in OZ for our hobby becuase nobody buys anything here. All we are doing is making it harder and more costly for the new guys to get involved!!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Rookie

If you think your hobby shops are so bad down south you should come the Qld they are the worst for ripping you blind.
There is no such thing as low prices here they just want to put 1000% mark up and rip you off.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Craig,
Man I feel for ya - those exhaust ports can be tricky. I've got hoof prints all over my face from trying to get the Dremel near it.
I have other troubles also. My goat eats plugs like there's no tomorrow and if he keeps it up, for him, there won't be.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:56 AM
BG
Tech Addict

Can somebody buy me some long leged stockings from OS so that I can strain the goats milk to make cheese. I hear Honk Kong is the place.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by JordanC
The problem with the LHS and distribution net in OZ is posts like that. I just want to know what you would have done if there wasn't a hobby shop for you to get those bits at? Where would the plugs, fuel emergency parts, etc come from. The reason there may not have been a hobby shop there is becuase YOU won't support them. We pay a premium in OZ for our hobby becuase nobody buys anything here. All we are doing is making it harder and more costly for the new guys to get involved!!!!
So which LHS shop do you work for/own?? If I bought everything rc here, I wouldn't have a house now...
Old 04-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Craig,
Man I feel for ya - those exhaust ports can be tricky. I've got hoof prints all over my face from trying to get the Dremel near it.
I have other troubles also. My goat eats plugs like there's no tomorrow and if he keeps it up, for him, there won't be.
I must say that you guys need copious quantities of help.......
p.s. Gav, Bunnings have a new Stealth Dremel that should do the trick!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by GUNPOWDER
So which LHS shop do you work for/own?? If I bought everything rc here, I wouldn't have a house now...
I don't work / own a hobby shop at all.... All i'm saying is i can see both points of view. If the general Australian RC community don't support our local industry, there's no chance the pricing will ever change. Quantity buys good prices!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.