Wiki Posts
Search

235 - Quietly into the night

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 235 mm Sounds good

I have a 235 mm neo BRAND NEW sitting in my cupboard complete with vertex 15 ,pipe header and a body.Would this be competitive now???
Or should I sell it???
This topic seems to have a bit of interest and sounds like a great class to race.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:11 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: 235 mm Sounds good

Originally posted by opposite lock
I have a 235 mm neo BRAND NEW sitting in my cupboard complete with vertex 15 ,pipe header and a body.Would this be competitive now???
Or should I sell it???
This topic seems to have a bit of interest and sounds like a great class to race.
With 4wd now permitted your Neo should be competative, the problem will be with tyres and wheels.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by contact
dave you have hardly ever race your 235 at club meets why not? bring it along more often let more people see it run
Pete the only place Illawarra has where 235mm can run is Berkeley netball courts
I have raced it there a couple of times last year
dont forget we only race at Berkelely around 8 times a year
when you take out the Club championship rounds and its illigal to run the club championships with the clubs current rules
with the steep decline of participents in Illawarras Nitro Pro class ovewr the last 12 months or so maybe the Illawarra committe may look at opening up the class again??
on the other end i can race Moorebank every 2nd week (work permitting of course)
its an easy decision make
Old 03-31-2004, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if your comming to berkeley to race you could throw it in, 4 or 5 times p.a. is more than most people in w'gong will get to see 235, few will go to morebank to watch them go around

as for our champ series there are 3 rounds on concrete - is there any point in allowing them?

maybe the other pete could get his going too - 235 might be the imcc's next 1:12 class

you rightly point out the decline of 200mm at race days, its clearly possible that 200mm will (has) price its self out of many clubs as well.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by contact

as for our champ series there are 3 rounds on concrete - is there any point in allowing them?

maybe the other pete could get his going too - 235 might be the imcc's next 1:12 class

you rightly point out the decline of 200mm at race days, its clearly possible that 200mm will (has) price its self out of many clubs as well.
the point i made about the club champs series was i CANT race on that day so theres 2 meetings gone out of the 5 thats set down at berkeley in the first 6 months of 2004

I dont think when Peter M got his his 235mm it was to race at Berkekely,he like me enjoys racing at Moorebank
he got it because its a good honest and fast class to run but im sure he will give it a go there too given the time to finish it

i have to disagree about Declining number in the Nitro Pro class in our sport
from all accounts its only our club (Illawarra) thats losing the nitro Pro drivers
most if not all other clubs nitro pro/open ranks are growing for instance last Eastern creek club day there was 33 entries in there open class the meeting prior to that there was 25 and the meeting before that there was 39!!!
Before our last club champ day you posted on our web page that unless Nitro Pro Attracted 4 or more entries they couldnt run in a club championship race
In any case this isnt the forum to discuss whats does or doesnt happen in our club pete its for the mighty 235mm cars

Last edited by David; 04-01-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

despite running costs 235mm cars are expensive (correct me if im wrong) at +$1000 get in price for a new chassis, engine and pipe (+ body, starter box and radio on top) hardly makes it a prospect for someone with $600 burning a hole in their pocket

for someone not sure if they are interested in running a 235 or even a tourer for that matter isnt the most atrractive offer of a second hand car a better choice to make? more often a second hand car is already setup handling wise will not cost as much as a new one and will give the guy/girl a good idea if they really want to pursue this racing. Im in the processes of obtaining a 2nd hand 235 ok it wont be as competitive as a new model but hey if u cant turn a wheel then u will only win by luck
Old 04-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Im in the processes of obtaining a 2nd hand 235 ok it wont be as competitive as a new model but hey if u cant turn a wheel then u will only win by luck
I endend up geting a second hand Serpent 835 witch only had a copple of race meetings on it and was to me and everyone who has seen it of brand new condition,,its just as competive as a brand new one and only cost half as much ..
Old 04-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default 235 mm Sounds good

What are the regulations relating to 235 mm?

2 wd or 4 wd ?

3 port or more engines?

turbo plug or standard?

lola body or touring car body?

Thanks for any answers
Old 04-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

At MRCCR Club days
its
Fuel 16% Nitro
4WD or 2WD its up to you ,although everyone seems to be running 4WD
3 port engines
standard plug and button
Group C body style (Jaguar or Porsche 962)

look here for info regarding Australian Rules regarding 235mm
http://www.aarcmcc.org/downloads/paf...tion=file&id=8

2.10 BODIES AND WINGS
2.10.1 For Sanctioned Events Clubs have the choice of either Group C Bodies or Bodyshells from the following full-size classes will be allowed (Clubs to advise at time of distribution of entry forms):
FIA 2-litre Championship
German Touring Car Championship
Australian Touring Car Championship
North American 2-litre Super Touring Car Championship
Old 04-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

At santioned meetings (Titles)

4wd, although I think you can still run 2wd if you choose, but don't quote me on that.
3 intake ports (obviously one exhaust port) with no crank mods, (no turbos)
No turbos as above. Standard plug style, but I would think that the rules will soon change to adopt current EFRA rules which says you can use any plug but the motor will still be of a a three port type but with a turbo plug.
Group C bodies, Porsche 962 etc which have a roof section over the drivers area instead of the open style like Lola's.

These are the general rules for Santioned events, as far as I'm aware. This doesn't mean that ever club will run to these rules but it does mean that if you intend to race at an event (like the up coming NSW Gas Titles) then this is what you would be expected to be set-up for.

Craig
Old 04-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default bodies for 235

at the recent act titles the rules were 2wd open bodies 4wd group c style bodies although there were only 2 in the race both 4wd which ran lola style bodies
Old 04-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I raced my 235 for the first time at Canberra last weekend, I cant believe how much fun it was. I used to race 1/8th & now race tourers. I got the car at a good price ages ago & never bothered with it too much untill the ACT titles came up & thought I might as well take it to get a bit more track time. Apart from snapping it in half at the end of the straight (run away, pesky batterys ) it is the most fun I have had in ages. Admitadly there were only 2 of us but with a bit of talk on the stand we made sure it was close. I was surprised how easy it was to drive compared to a tourer. If I set it up & got the 2 speed working it would be a weapon. I will definatly be giving it more track time.