Community
Wiki Posts
Search

540 UNDER 16?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Limit the ages . So that they can't move up to mod until the can drive a real car, that way I wont have to be beaten by Corey every time I race....

No, 540 novice run what you brung.

540 pro, for all the guys who want to race 540 competitively with big budgets.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default 540 Class

This is my proposal I will put to ORRCA.

540 Novice Class
Age limit 16 years and under
No Brushless motors allowed (as per Motor specifications – 2.10.5)
Nimh or Lipo battery packs allowed (as per Battery specifications – 2.8)
6 cell Nimh or 7.4v Lipos – hard cased only
Weight Limit regardless of battery type is 1425grams including lap timing
equipment
If the driver has placed 1st in any ORRCA QLD or AARCMCC
sanctioned event, regardless of class or scale, the driver is not eligible for
this class.

540 Masters/ Pro
No age Limit
21.5 Brushless motor

My 2 cents

Regards
Gary
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

NOT HAPPY JAN
Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Are you guys serious? Why should a kid get a medal or bit of tin because they are under a certain age, and a beginer? Why should a 17 or 57 year old be excluded from a STATE TITLE event?

Why do we need to have a NOVICE BEGINNER class at a Championship event? It's supposed to be the best of the state.

When are kids going to learn it is ok to loose? That you dont have to take home a prize to have had a good time? What happens when they get out to the real world and they find that there is no beginner class for life?

If you wan't to see kids stay in the hobby and grow, engage the parents in racing. Promote the fun.

Its up to the club to keep people interested and returning every race day. Have a novice class at club level. Not at a title event.

Reward the drivers that help the beginners. Encourage the novice and mentor them. At a club level. Prepair them to race at a title event eventually. You shouldnt be expecting them to race a large event with in 6 months of starting a hoby.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sparksy

[...]

When are kids going to learn it is ok to loose? That you dont have to take home a prize to have had a good time? What happens when they get out to the real world and they find that there is no beginner class for life?

[...]

It seems to me a lot of adults have yet to learn that, so I don't really think we have a good standing to explain that to kids.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I really like the last couple of posts, they make perfect sense.

When I started racing in 540, I couldn't work out why the fast guys were so fast, but I made a big effort to find out.

Now I can help anyone that asks and wants to go fast, and helping others is as rewarding if not more than winning a plastic dust collector.

I don't think the age limit is appropriate, but as Gary suggested if you win the event you can't race it again. Makes more sense than top three excluded.

These comments are my own and not those of any club or organisation.

Ash
Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

what i am 12 years old and race in stock class i like it i don't want to go down i have been in this hobby for 5 years and love it .
Old 02-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bajaboy5b
what i am 12 years old and race in stock class i like it i don't want to go down i have been in this hobby for 5 years and love it .
It's ok buddy, if you want to race stock, keep doing it.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I totally disagree with an age limit being applied to 540 at state champs level... there seems to be this, completely misinformed, opinion that only young people start racing in 540...

However I DO agree with preventing EXPERIENCED racers from dropping back to 540 for state events..

I read somewhere that the U.K has some form of licensing system that grades drivers as their experience grows... perhaps this is another option to consider instead of this misguided age thing?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

To be honest I think this is all a load of S$%T. If kids want to know the feeling of winning (me being 1 myself) they should have to earn it. If I won an event just because the top guys weren't in the race then where is the pride in winning just knowing you have beaten the beginners?

As some say, "why fix what isnt broken?"
Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Master

looking after the juniors and possibly encouraging more kids to race can only be a good thing....

id love to see a junior class in nitro...
Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by sparksy
Are you guys serious? Why should a kid get a medal or bit of tin because they are under a certain age, and a beginer? Why should a 17 or 57 year old be excluded from a STATE TITLE event?

Why do we need to have a NOVICE BEGINNER class at a Championship event? It's supposed to be the best of the state.

If you wan't to see kids stay in the hobby and grow, engage the parents in racing. Promote the fun.

Its up to the club to keep people interested and returning every race day. Have a novice class at club level. Not at a title event.

Reward the drivers that help the beginners. Encourage the novice and mentor them. At a club level. Prepair them to race at a title event eventually. You shouldnt be expecting them to race a large event with in 6 months of starting a hoby.
Take karting for example they have a junior national class and a senior national class , this is the j motor which is the beginer class. Nearly allll forms of sport has a senior and junior? I believe this should be the same, I do not no if the people that disagree have any children i believe not,
All i know is I would not like standing on a podium in first place with a 12 year old third and a 11year olld second and me 20 or over, would you show your wife or mates that photo?[look i won] a senior and junior state title need to happen .
Old 02-17-2010, 05:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by ozzy Iedge
Take karting for example they have a junior national class and a senior national class , this is the j motor which is the beginer class. Nearly allll forms of sport has a senior and junior? I believe this should be the same, I do not no if the people that disagree have any children i believe not,
All i know is I would not like standing on a podium in first place with a 12 year old third and a 11year olld second and me 20 or over, would you show your wife or mates that photo?[look i won] a senior and junior state title need to happen .
These are just my thoughts what happens.' happens' they are not my boys
he will race whoever at the titles,interclubs etc.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Should 540 TC be for under 16s?or should racers who have been racing for years in higher classes, stock or mod, be able to come back down to race 540 in trophy and title race meets.
I believe we need young kids to have a chance at racing at the pointy end of the field, as this boosts thier confidence and keeps them wanting to race.
Instead of them not wanting to race as they are never getting near the front, there are exceptions as some young kids can race with these people , but i"m just putting the question out there
What is it you want? A JNR and SNR class? At a State level and above.... if you feel you need to bolster a kids confidence then sure. At a club level.. if there is enough to legitimise the seperation then yes.

If the numbers are there we would be fools to make the youngens run in with the more exp racers..

The origional post is about limiting the 540 class to under 16s. Not about splitting it into JNR and SNR.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vazzo
NOT HAPPY JAN
I am curious as to why you want to wait and try to win the Novice 540 title over trying to win the 540 Masters title, I know if I had had the choice in 2008 I would have run the 540 masters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.