Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Diamond Tips

Are Diamond tips able to be polished/resharpened? Have noticed it’s not cutting the comm. As shinny as when it was new, it’s leaving a spiralling line across the com, also has a rough finish on the surface, should diamond tips last forever! Any help would be grateful,
Old 03-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default diamond tips

Hey,
Unfortunately, sounds like you've chipped your tip. The spiralling and rough finish, also possibly a wierd sound are tell tale signs your tip is toast.

There arent too many places that can re-do your tip. Unlike Carbide tips, the diamonds cant be easily re-ground. In reality the only thing that will cut the diamond is a bigger diamond!

You can look up a few engineering places that do diamond bits for heavy machinery, maybe they can help, but in my past experience, I haven had much luck with them. Get a strong magnifying glass and have a look at how its damaged, sometimes a litlle creative shimming of angles will give you a new edge to work with.

I've gone thru 3 diamond tips in my racing lifetime, and Ive probly been around for long enuf. I had a mate who chipped his Hudy tip pretty badly on his lefthand lathe, then we shimmed it up on my right hand lathe and it was perfect. A year or so later I chipped it, then made do with another tip. Till I got a new lefthand lathe, so i tried it again on my lefty and its perfect again! Hows that for luck!

So. do what I said, inspec the tip, you might be able to adjust the tip angle and height to make it work again. Strips of aluminium can work good!
Old 03-28-2004, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Default Diamond tip

Thanks for the quick reply, See how i go,
Old 12-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Has anyone tried this diamond tip bit sold in Ebay for $49.99. Is it comparable to Hudy and Carter cuts. Let me know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-Comm-RC-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Tech Rookie

I got my diamond tip from ebay in the USA for cheap. This guy also does re-chip service for a small fee. Just send it back to him. I forgot his name.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

I think ( The Fuhrer ) has that diamond tip from ebay, Shoot him a Pm, hope that helps.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I got one of the diamond tools Danjoy mentioned off ebay. The tool I was using before was making my motors slow and run like crap. The new diamond tool makes my motors scream. Just ask Bradd.