Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Seriously is this guy for real >

Seriously is this guy for real

Seriously is this guy for real

Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

I think we know very little of the R/C racing scene in Japan. I would guess they have a rather busy schedule, so it's not at all impossible to harvest a lot of trophies racing in Japan alone.

And yes, he drives with a stick radio.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TC%?
Have you seen the you tube of him driving with his feet? GREAT!
Then driffting blind folded.
The best ever and im shore he only uses a stick controler.
What do you mean only uses a stick controller?
Old 12-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Don't be hating on the Sticks!

Master Masami, I would have loved to see him race. Just have to keep rewatching my Ray Wood dvds
Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I think we know very little of the R/C racing scene in Japan. I would guess they have a rather busy schedule, so it's not at all impossible to harvest a lot of trophies racing in Japan alone.

And yes, he drives with a stick radio.
from memory reading the article which had this pic in it (rc car action or r/c car) said the trophies were only from nationals or worlds.

they are not his clubbie collection........
Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73
from memory reading the article which had this pic in it (rc car action or r/c car) said the trophies were only from nationals or worlds.

they are not his clubbie collection........

Thats correct Ben. I have a Masami edition of RCSports (Japanese magazine) which has a 3-page foldup picture of him with ALL of his cars and trophies.... it is massive!! I can scan it in when I get back from holidays (in a week).

For some of you guys who havent heard much about Masami... all I can say is he is the best of all time who basically won or came close to winning everything in EP since 1987. He retired earlier this year. I had the chance to meet him when I raced at Yatabe in march this year but unfortunately he had just announced his retirement so I didnt get to see him race in person.

The guy set new standards for dedication, practice, aggression and skill. If you havent seen him race, look for some vids, especially during the 90s. Watching some videos of him driving 1/12 is insane!

Ray
Old 12-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I was fortunate enough to see Masami race at the end of his career at two events in Thailand. The last was in last years World titles and it was his last attempt to win the one electric class that has eluded him. He was fast as usual and managed to win the first leg of the A finals only to finish third overall after the 3 finals.

The interesting thing to watch was the respect given to him off the track (on the track was different) by fellow top line racers. At the TITC event in the previous year fellow world champions almost lined up to welcome him when he arrived. It was like the arrival of royalty.

Add to that the calmness of the guy and nothing more can be said

And not the only top line drive to use stick ... Jilles Groskamp is another
Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

my first memories of him will always be as greg said - he was a great guy off the stand. so cool and calm and a nice guy to be around.

if you have experienced any of the other current crop of hotshots there are a lot who could learn a thing or two from masami.

my lasting memory will be watching him punt the yoke around in japan during qualifying. he was up against the yanks and the b44 and even though he and the yoke team had been at the track for months the car was as rubbish as the one I drove for 2 weeks in 2006/7. His skill with that car was awesome. It had no place being as quick as it was. Masami had it on the edge and was driving it 11 tenths to even stay close in qualifying. It was no where near as forgiving as any other car.

I did not realise it at the time but with only two yokomo in the final it had been a great effort by the master. the second yoke was (from memory) qualified in 9th by Naoto. We saw later on that Naoto became the 1/12th world champ and when I was at hot rod this year Naoto was on pole for the shootout. He was so quick it was unbelievable. I have never seen anyone wheel an offraod car so fast. When he gets his consistencty down the yanks are going to have to look out....

Reminds me of another young japanese driver I saw win 2 world titles at st ives in 89.....
Old 12-27-2009, 03:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ben73
my first memories of him will always be as greg said - he was a great guy off the stand. so cool and calm and a nice guy to be around.

if you have experienced any of the other current crop of hotshots there are a lot who could learn a thing or two from masami.

my lasting memory will be watching him punt the yoke around in japan during qualifying. he was up against the yanks and the b44 and even though he and the yoke team had been at the track for months the car was as rubbish as the one I drove for 2 weeks in 2006/7. His skill with that car was awesome. It had no place being as quick as it was. Masami had it on the edge and was driving it 11 tenths to even stay close in qualifying. It was no where near as forgiving as any other car.

I did not realise it at the time but with only two yokomo in the final it had been a great effort by the master. the second yoke was (from memory) qualified in 9th by Naoto. We saw later on that Naoto became the 1/12th world champ and when I was at hot rod this year Naoto was on pole for the shootout. He was so quick it was unbelievable. I have never seen anyone wheel an offraod car so fast. When he gets his consistencty down the yanks are going to have to look out....

Reminds me of another young japanese driver I saw win 2 world titles at st ives in 89.....

Naoto is the protege. It seems that Masami is grooming him for better things. Even Tom Yokobori (owner of Yokomo) is helping in the process and is very protective of Naoto. He is a champion in waiting

Last edited by cannon; 12-27-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I saw Masami run at St. Ives at the '89 Worlds and all I can say is that the guy was a freak.....he had the most amazing car control I have ever seen , and could keep his cool no matter what the situation.....a true legend of the hobby
Old 12-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I remember watching Masami both for the worlds warm up and the worlds.

I only spoke briefly with him and his father - however they were so patient and happy to chat (even if the english wasnt that great then).

I remember standing, marshalling at the "tree" in the infield......god damn it - watching him come though that double right hander with the short straight between it - then round the tree..what an experience. EVERY single lap (it seemed) he would flick it sideways and "sprint car style" the car around that back double and then flick back to take the left around the tree. The car dancing on its suspension all the way.

The other thing that blew me away was standing on the Drivers stand beside him - god damn - his fingers NEVER stayed still on those sticks - even on the straights.

I was watching those videos of the 1/12th worlds from this year - that young fella Naoto certainly looks to be EXTREMELY smooth.....you could not ask for a better mentor than Masami that is for sure.

Cheers

Darryn

Last edited by RETRO R/C; 12-27-2009 at 05:41 AM.