Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
Whats Wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers >

Whats Wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers

Whats Wrong with Australia's Sponsored Drivers

Old 05-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FK05 lover
It would be nice for someone in the know to elaborate for us meer "privateers" what a sponsored driver means,
eg what sort of deal do they get....can't be much, considering how amature the hobby is...flack suit on!
(interested in on-road only)
There are very few sponsored drivers, in the way the avg person would consider a "sponsorship"
99.99% of people out there you would regard as sponsored merely recieved a wholesale less x% price from the importer.

Even the kankles, the best placing Aussie at an onroad electric worlds, pays for his stuff.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Besercoe
There are very few sponsored drivers, in the way the avg person would consider a "sponsorship"
99.99% of people out there you would regard as sponsored merely recieved a wholesale less x% price from the importer.

Even the kankles, the best placing Aussie at an onroad electric worlds, pays for his stuff.
Confirms what I thought, Many thanks Brad..
Old 05-25-2009, 12:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FK05 lover
Confirms what I thought, Many thanks Brad..
Sometimes it is even worse being a "sponsored" driver from an importer, just ask anyone who had to drive an Assassin back in the day
Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugengreg
Obviously you have allso never met Zac Ryan or you would not have even thought of questioning his integrity. One of the most honest and helpfull guys in rc.... and just a nice bloke.
Personaly... i have only good things to report about sponsered drivers in this country and as a result of asking advice from the team drivers,i have made some good friends in the RC community.
I second that.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mugengreg
you would think that some one would make sure that they were correct before they made wild acusations on the internet just incase they end up looking like a total tool infront of the entire racing community.
I am jarred's father and i am the one who bought the rc8 with my own money,maintained it, worked on set up, cleaned it and sold it . The car is exactly in the set up form as to how it was used on its last outing at our local club. There has been no atempt by Jarred or myself to hide the "ultimate" set up from the new owner. I believe the new owner is very happy with his purchase. Jarred has a sponsership deal to drive lrp and that is why there was an rc8 laying around but as painy has already stated there was no sponsered deal with associated.
Obviously you have allso never met Zac Ryan or you would not have even thought of questioning his integrity. One of the most honest and helpfull guys in rc.... and just a nice bloke.
Personaly... i have only good things to report about sponsered drivers in this country and as a result of asking advice from the team drivers,i have made some good friends in the RC community.
Ok lets see ......
1st off I apologies I was made to believe Jarred was sponsored before he went to LRP.
2nd new owner is happy with purchase
Purchaser "yeah quite happy with the buggy it seems to be a goer so will see on the weekend

the question is why do australian racers mess up car setups when you buy a car off them when i got the rc8 it was totally messed up on the set up do they think that will be faster thn them if we use their setups"

Friend of Purchaser
"What, you buy a buggy from someone and you want them to set it up to suit you too. Not gonna happen.

Run a buggy in kit setup, then change it to suit you. By all means get hints and tips, but I really think copying an exact setup from someone else is not necessarily going to be best for ones self. Bit of a cop out really.

Cheers All"

Purchaser Again "jason, i totally understand where your coming from i just dont understand why the car had positve 9 degrees on one side and negetive 9 degrees on the other surely that cant be right."

3rd I have meet Zac and I never once said anything bad about him if you would like to go back and reread my earlyer comment as I liked zac i believe he pitted for me once at a state titles event.

And last of all, If you had looked at my post properly you would see I have had no problems with sponsored drivers, I have had great help from ones like Dale Smulders, John Bateman, Matt Griffin, Zac Ryan, Timmy G, Jarrod Currie the list could go on. the problem that this thread stems from will never happen to me since I dont buy second hand cars to run only for parts. But I have known friends that have had this problem so I opened it for discusion
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

He should race nitro offroad then.

there are like 20 or 30 free rides.

Just goes to show where the money is
Old 05-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Painy

word and the competition
Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sometimes it is even worse being a "sponsored" driver from an importer, just ask anyone who had to drive an Assassin back in the day
LOL you know how to make friends!

Brad is right. There are very few "factory" drivers who are given equipment to represent instead of paying like most of us. The best most aussies can hope for is sweet prices.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cantona
word and the competition
is it 'world class'?
Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

word and the competition
Boom. Game.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Personaly Im sick of hearing people asking what ratio gearing to run at a given track, what is the winning set up and so on.
I dont think people who do all the R&D getting their cars right should have to share their set ups with everyone. What happened to the good old days when you learnt this stuff yourself?
While its nice to help educate fellow racers I think its kinda a joke to think you should rock up to a given track and expect the local fast guys to hand over their winning setups.
More people need to do their research and learn what set up is right for their driving style and the track conditions on the day.
I cant profess to be any kind of set up guru but I'd prefer to acheive results from my own hard work and not others.
Rant over.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BORMAC
Personaly Im sick of hearing people asking what ratio gearing to run at a given track, what is the winning set up and so on.
I dont think people who do all the R&D getting their cars right should have to share their set ups with everyone. What happened to the good old days when you learnt this stuff yourself?
While its nice to help educate fellow racers I think its kinda a joke to think you should rock up to a given track and expect the local fast guys to hand over their winning setups.
More people need to do their research and learn what set up is right for their driving style and the track conditions on the day.
I cant profess to be any kind of set up guru but I'd prefer to acheive results from my own hard work and not others.
Rant over.
Well as said before the setup will not suddenly make them the fastest. I had someone run my same setup last weekend that was very quick in mod. It helped him improve but he still lacked speed. Everyone runs something of a personal preference in their setup and to think you can be fast with someone elses excact setup is unrealistic.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Well as said before the setup will not suddenly make them the fastest. I had someone run my same setup last weekend that was very quick in mod. It helped him improve but he still lacked speed. Everyone runs something of a personal preference in their setup and to think you can be fast with someone elses excact setup is unrealistic.
precisely, everyone drives differently, so for one track 10 different set ups may work well for 10 different drivers. If they all run PB's and say the car felt fast, then who is wrong?

Is it me or did this thread just come about because someone bought a 2nd handy and was pissed because it didn't have a world champion set up straight out of the post pack?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Is it me or did this thread just come about because someone bought a 2nd handy and was pissed because it didn't have a world champion set up straight out of the post pack?
Absolutely Not

As said in previous posts this thread came about due to second hand cars being sold in a way that to drive is you needed to spend hours going over it on a hudy

I'll ask this ......
If you sold a car would you
a) send it in good condition so it could be used as soon as it arrived with minimal adjustments.( i.e. the way you last used it )
b) go through the car adjusting every thing until it was in a condition that if it was run it would be a danger to others.

the two cases this started out from may not have been deliberate but the end result was they went with option B

I put this up just to see others point of views and hay it worked, we have people aggreeing and disaggreeing case closed
Old 05-25-2009, 03:19 AM
Tech Champion

word and the competition

hahahahahahahahahah awesome from 2 guys who used to race electric, including onroad

Yes much like the 90's were the hey day of electric TC, Noisy offroad is in a boom, wont last long, give it another year or two and there will be something else new, or at the very least 8th will be electric.

it just goes to show, the same guys will always be fast, given any class and some experience in the class, look at DC, Bakalalal, Walker, Gillot etc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.