Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor and ESC combo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor and ESC combo.

I have been using a Mamba 5700 combo in a TA05 as a drift pig for some time now. I am interested in racing and have just brought a TRF415 and looking for a motor and ESC combo that can be used for racing. Looking at a brushed setup that is ROAR approved or would it be smarted to go straight to a brushless setup. Basically looking at running in a stock beginner’s class until I get a better understanding of racing.

I have been looking at the LPR Vector X11 Stockspec 13.5T / LPR AI Brushless Pro Reverse Digital.

What do you guys recommend?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Get a Trinity 17.5 motor as they can be used as a sensorless on the Mamba Max esc but you're still race legal!

The Mamba is probably one of the best ESC's out there anyway, why spend money going backwards?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Rookie

I want to keep the mamba in my TA05 basher and get something that is ROAR approved and another setup that I can use in my TRF415.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Running a couple in team offroad cars raced competitively over 2 years, good as gold. NoVaK GTB SS combo. 17.5 13.5 --- >5.5 Getting.Silly Nowyour.sideways etc
Old 01-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

recently I got 2 Venom brushless combo's with their 17.5t motor. Not bad at all & good features.

so far I would recommend them.

I also picked up a speed passion motor & that pulls a little harder then the Venom one
Old 01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaZz0R
recently I got 2 Venom brushless combo's with their 17.5t motor. Not bad at all & good features.

so far I would recommend them.

I also picked up a speed passion motor & that pulls a little harder then the Venom one
How many minutes did that venom motor last for chris? Seriously you get what you pay for with brushless. The only speedys I would touch are the gtb, lrp tc and the tekin rs pro. Motors also arent equal, novak, lrp, tekin, losi are all quite strong. From my experience feigo motors are a bit hit and miss. Chris's one is quite quick but the one I bought wasn't. In case you don't know what a feigo is they make speedpassion, orion and nosram. They are all apparently the same motor. I would really stay away from them for a 17.5.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
How many minutes did that venom motor last for chris? Seriously you get what you pay for with brushless. The only speedys I would touch are the gtb, lrp tc and the tekin rs pro. Motors also arent equal, novak, lrp, tekin, losi are all quite strong. From my experience feigo motors are a bit hit and miss. Chris's one is quite quick but the one I bought wasn't. In case you don't know what a feigo is they make speedpassion, orion and nosram. They are all apparently the same motor. I would really stay away from them for a 17.5.
Some people have no idear
Old 01-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mattchis
Some people have no idear
@ matty, hey werent you the one that agreed with me that the venom motors are poo? Are you denying your love of the novak or are you phantoms bitch now? Seriously that phantom 17.5 in glens 2wd goes like stink!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Do your research Nosram=Red LRP. Orion and speed passion are some of the fastest on the market The new Orions are not Fergiao. My Speed passion 17.5 (also my dads and for that matter any SP17.5 I have tested) can beat a Novak 13.5

Also the Venom ESC is pretty good and a Mamba max is an awsome ESC

BTW eeeeww a GTB (Yes I said that)
Old 01-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well my new orion was a piece of shit, every sp 17.5 i have seen has also been shit. On the subject of nosram well I have been told different so who do I believe? I am yet to see someone have a bad experience with novak or an lrp motor and that coupled with my own experience with the novak means I am gonna say they are good. Oh and if I ran onroad I would take ur challenge
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookiezx-5
Well my new orion was a piece of shit, every sp 17.5 i have seen has also been shit. On the subject of nosram well I have been told different so who do I believe? I am yet to see someone have a bad experience with novak or an lrp motor and that coupled with my own experience with the novak means I am gonna say they are good. Oh and if I ran onroad I would take ur challenge
First I have heard a orion 2008 has bad performance sorry to hear about that. LRP Vs Nosram

TC spec
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=6005txxxxx
Nosram ver.
http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=67
LRP Motor
http://67.199.85.166/main/productdet...ory=6001txxxxx
Nosram ver.
http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=71

Novak speedies are the let down but their motor have a long live. LRPs speedie is strong but I have seen their rotors go kaboooom

If I didnt just bash my offroad I would beat you I mean race you J/K

Oh well suppose this is one of those threads that no one is right kinda thing
Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

I know ppl have different experiences with different products. I have heard many onroad guys saying the sp are awesome. I am only speaking about what I have experienced with my own cars and what I have seen in other peoples. Also all my comments are only about stock motors which is what I run. Ultimately this is all opinion based and an end users experience may be totally different to mine. I would agree that the venom esc seems quite good, although it does have less tuning options than an lrp or a gtb. I have also seen both the lrp/gtbs esc's fail but both were due to overheating. I have also seen several of the losi esc's fail or be faulty but whilst working they were very impressive.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

doh - was looking for this thread.

After the first race meet & clocking laps in the 27's - I would recommend the speed passion for sure!

The Venom seems ok - but its not pulling as hard as the speed passion one.

Since it was my house mate & myself that got the kits, he will be getting a speed passion as well Very happy with them.