Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Next Question: Which 2WD Buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Thumbs up Next Question: Which 2WD Buggy?

Hi all,

My RC10B3 has gone to a good home in Queensland, along with my old TA03F, Novak ESC and Fantom 16x3 (so at least it won't get lonely ).

This leaves me without a vehicle, and with a lot of gear that is on the way. I'd like to stick with a 2WD buggy. Mainly as I have tyres and a battery pack that will fit one .

As far as I can tell there are two reasonably-priced options, the RC10B4 Factory Team and the Losi XXX-CR. Both are the same price at $399 (albeit at different shops).

As far as I can tell the B4 has been out for years. Do I really need to expect the B5 any month now, especially as the Factory Team edition seems to have been released to combat the XXX-CR. I'm a bit loath to buy a new buggy and have it superseded by the next US Summer...especially given the paucity of parts for the B3.

The XXX-CR looks pretty good, and truth be known I'm leaning that way at the moment. Anything I should know/need to know/really got to know that will/should/will definitely sway me back in the other direction?

BTW, do the guys with the Factory Team B4 run the plastic or graphite chassis?

Running Tally:
RC10B4 2
LOSI XXX-CR 2

thks, Mick

Last edited by Ratmick; 01-25-2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Added Scoreboard
Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I think that most new b4 kits come with the plastic chassis. It is less rigid ana apparently handles better. Both buggies in the right hands are excellent, the only areas where the b4 trumps the lost is parts availability and setups. Dont know about other areas but here in melbs losi parts are pretty non existant yet b4 parts are practically everywhere. Also setups are pretty much dialled for the b4 and easily available. Yeah I know you can everything from the states but waiting for it can be a bitch so i would go the b4.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks.

The FT Kit seems to come with the Composite Chaissis (Part Number #9560). However there is a FT Carbon chassis with a different number (Part Number #9561).

Is the Composite part deemed the 'plastic' chassis?

Mick
Old 01-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Buy the XXX-CR........there's no other option really........unless you consider the Kyosho RB5
Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shanemac
Buy the XXX-CR........there's no other option really........unless you consider the Kyosho RB5
OK.

So buy the XXX-CR as the B4 isn't an option because...

Mick
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ratmick
OK.

So buy the XXX-CR as the B4 isn't an option because...

Mick
.....because it's a B4.....simple , really
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Talking

Originally Posted by shanemac
.....because it's a B4.....simple , really
Umm, ok...

....well that makes sense, must be something akin to a Holden vs. Ford thing.

Mick
Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Associated B4 Factory Team.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Adept

Ok, I get the picture, I'm just going to get a lot of "A is better than B" and "No, may I respectfully suggest you are full of shit, and indeed B is better than A" and "No it's not"..."Yes it is"...etc

What I was after was something along the lines of:

All I have so far is that setups for the B4 are readily available and parts are easier to find for the B4 in Melbourne, which is handy seeing I'm in Victoria.

But keep it coming, it's entertaining at the very least .

thks, Mick
          Old 01-25-2009, 04:47 AM
          Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Don't think you can go wrong with either car in regards to performance/handling.

My understanding is the XXX gains the upper hand in rough terrain while the B4 rewards the smooth, consistent driver. I've been told the XXX is more forgiving in the hands of a novice but the subtlety was lost on me. I did notice the XXX doesn't steer as well as the B4. I have successfully broken an equal number of B4 arms as I have XXX-CR arms.

Parts wouldn't be an issue with either car. For Losi, you have Modelflight whose local prices are well priced. Overseas you have Losi parts house. Associated parts you can pick up anywhere.

The B4 doesn't use e-clips if that stikes your fancy. I've also seen more a few people swap out their AE shocks for Losi shocks.

The stock XXX-CR body is quite low-profile which might cause problems with fitting an ESC with a tall heatsink/fan. I had to shave a few fins off to get mine to fit.

The B4 is certainly the more popular model and with that you will find it easier getting setup help and spares from fellow drivers.

In the end, I chose the Losi. No other reason than I used to race an RC10-T and wanted to try something different this time round.

Side note - Googling "B4" will get you pictures of R/C cars. Googling "XXX" gets you all sorts of interesting things...
          Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 AM
          Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I dont really think you are gonna get any valid input on which car does what better. It really comes down to setup and driver. I have seen lots of quick and slow losi's and the same goes for the b4. You said you are in the melbourne area. Perhaps you should come down to knox on feb 1st or keilor on feb 7th, chat to the guys, watch the cars and then make up your own mind. On here you are gonna be told buy this or buy that...It really comes down to what you like and no one can tell you that
          Old 01-26-2009, 03:26 PM
          Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mick,

this is a noble question, but there are a littany of 'which is better' threads on rctech which degenerate... mainly due to the passion people have for Losi/AE etc.

As someone who has raced both cars (without sponsorship from either manufacturer, so no bias) both are very quick cars. The XXX was great but IMO has too many setup options for the regular racer. The reason I switched to the B4 was that the base setup seems very good (less time needed to set up the car, more time to enjoy racing), and there is a lot of help in Victoria (through guys like Matt Griffin, AE team driver) to get the car working. Losi have not focussed on electric as much in recent years and it seems harder to get good team setups.

You might also want to look at Kyosho. There are a few of them racing in Melbourne, including Leigh Cheesman who has been doing well with his. Kyosho have been putting a lot of effort into electric off road. They have recently obtained Jared Tebo in the US and he is doing very well with the car already.

There is a new 2wd car coming out from Hot Bodies but it is still a few months off.

As Lookie suggested, drop past the track and have a look for yourself if you are still stuck.

Ray

Originally Posted by Ratmick
          Ok, I get the picture, I'm just going to get a lot of "A is better than B" and "No, may I respectfully suggest you are full of shit, and indeed B is better than A" and "No it's not"..."Yes it is"...etc

What I was after was something along the lines of:

All I have so far is that setups for the B4 are readily available and parts are easier to find for the B4 in Melbourne, which is handy seeing I'm in Victoria.

But keep it coming, it's entertaining at the very least .

thks, Mick
                  Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 PM
                  Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks all, I have been swayed by a few PMs and have flopped back to the side of the B4. I found (and bought) what must have been the last pre-price rise one at NBHC in NSW.

Many thanks all that took the time to respond, all you XXX-CR guys have permission to gloat when the B4 breaks, is lapped by the end of the third lap or I have my ass wooped by a 10yo on his first outing.

Many thanks, Mick