Community
Wiki Posts
Search

electric problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy electric problems

Hi all i have made the switch to electric racing and brought all the stuff i need.I got a hot charger model 6016 has anyone ever had one of these coz the 1 i got i took it out of box today to see how it works and it is not going, i checked all the plugs and they were right also.I got a power converter so i dont need a battery and well it dont work either makes a crackling sound and smells like its burning out.(should have stayed with petrol).the only problem i have is i got it all from rcmart so i dont know what they are like with replacing faulty parts.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

is it the charger that crackles or the power supply?

try the charger off a car battery to see if that makes it any better?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That looks like a lead acid / gel battery charger and will prolly be no good for what you want. If you need gear for racing electric and have limited knowledge then get down to your local track and see what ppl are using. I would recommend getting yourself out to windsor hobbies as they have a good range of gear and the knowledge to go with it. You can also talk to "cannon" on the "feral racing" thread in the australian forums and he will also be able to point you in the right direction especially considering he is a battery matcher.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 147 (99%+)

Or...if you want accurate friendly advise, whether you buy or not, quality products at the best price and the best customer service availible, then I suggest you get onto HarrisRC.com & speak to Tony Porter...
Old 08-03-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I sell the Hot Power 6016 chargers and they work very well. You say you have a power converter. Do you mean a 13.8 volt power supply? And it should have at least 10amps

You must use a proper power supply to work with most of therse chargers. If you have a warranty problem after checking this then contact RCMart. They have a good reputation .
Old 08-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

The 6016 charger has only the positive and the negative lead which need to be connected to 12 VDC. They originally come fitted with clamps, so you can connect to a car battery. The 6016 battery charger is very simple to use and pretty much fool proof.

The first thing you should check is the power converter that you brought, might not supply sufficient current for the charger. Hence the crackling noises or you have shorted a couple of wires in your setup. If it is only the power converter that is crackling, have you connected the 6016 directly to a car battery and see if it turns on?

Most racers purchase a 13.8VDC 10 to 20 Amp power supply. This will provide a constant 13.8 volts DC to power your battery chargers, tyre warmers, etc. These can be purchased from Jaycar, Dick Smiths etc.

I recommend taking Troy's advice and going to a track close by and seeing what setup's other guy's are using. I see by your avatar your located in Brissy, so find some place local.

Good luck.

CYA

Calvin
Old 08-03-2008, 03:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

The power supply is a 13.8 volt supply at 8 amps it was pluged in with nothing connected and was making a noise . and cutting out.
the batrtery charger its self was tryed on 2 diffrent car batterys and didnt work at all.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

The power supply is a 13.8 volt supply at 8 amps it was pluged in with nothing connected and was making a noise . and cutting out.
the batrtery charger its self was tryed on 2 diffrent car batterys and didnt work at all.thanks for the help
Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You are not making a lot of sense ... u say the power supply was plugged in with nothing connected? And still making a noise and cutting out?

So is your power supply working properly? If not it may have fried your charger.

Spell out exactly what you mean.

Just trying to help
Old 08-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Problems

Might sound like a stupid question but since you bought the stuff overseas is the power supply 240v?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

i pluged the power converter in to 240 volts and it was macking a crackling noise and cut out. im able to use it on 240 volts.
the charger was only tryed on 2 different car battery and it didnt work never used it on the converter.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Warranty

My advice would be to contact rcmart asap. The sooner the better, that way they can see that the problems occurred straight away. Although having both items stuff up does seem to point to possible operator error.

Terry
Old 08-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

The power supply is more than likely dual input voltage capable 110 / 220 (240). Make sure it is set to 220 (240) and see if it still works.
Based on what you are saying it is probably set to 110... and now the input circuit is possibly burnt out due to the excessive voltage.

If the charger's first use was with the power supply and the voltage setting was incorrect then I would say the power supply has taken out the charger within the first few milli seconds of you turning it on.