R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing

Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.

With the past couple of years behind us now and small pockets of competition opening up for us to enjoy, perhaps we can put it up to a vote on what classes and more importantly which dates we might all agree on that go to making up the vintage scene.
Now before we all get carried away perhaps we can all learn from one another and hear each person out and finaly come to some kind of decision on this.
For me the idea behind vintage racing is just for us to be able to enjoy some light hearted competition with all the cars we grew up with. Im sure we all have had different levels of experience with these older buggies but the outcome really needs to be the same. There needs to be allowances made for new comers aswell as the older racers alike. For me I would like to see 2 different dat cut offs. I dont like to see people excluded with cars that creep over the 1990 line and I would have thought it be a good idea for us to create 2 different date shut offs. For me anything pre 89' and pre 94'. Alone i dont wish to push any decision but ask if everyone have an opportunity to voice their opinions.
I would ask that people please keep in mind what this kind of racing is all about-'VINTAGE RACING'. You'll soon have people opting for more up to date serious competition kits of the day rather than enjoy the fun of an old roll caged type buggy or Hotshot for example of the mid 80's if we dont work something out.
Now there is a definate interest going on 'world wide' with this vintage type racing and it looks as though the scene could well be sticking around for some time to come.
Perhaps we can all voice our opinions and see what comes out of the woodwork.

Vintage events at CASSO, where all the goodness happens.
J.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Good idea Bormac

Given the interest and entries at the recent Vintage meet at Ryde, it would be good to get the years sorted out.

If the meet at the end of the year comes off, it might be a good time to test the dates and see what entries are like.

Keep the comments positive and lets work on a workable format
Jenny2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

When I started racing in the 80s we had a class called bugdet stock,the basic rules were cars with mechanical speed controls and 540.The feild was mostly made up of Hornets,grasshoppers and I ran my Mardave meteor.This was great untill a guy entered his RC10 and hosed us all.Anyway I think a similar class for fun type cars like all the old Tamiyas 2wd and 4wd with up to black can motors would be good and then a competition type class for the race bred type cars with rebuildable stock motors.I think if numbers allow it would also be good to have a 89 - 94 class.Then I can run my 93 works Yoke
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default racing

Watch Out! I raced a 7 cell Boomerang and Big Wig in those days. I'd buy one if Tamiya re released them and stick 7 4600 in it with 10.5 - that would be awesome. Then again , I was always an RC speed freak
Ray Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Wood View Post
Watch Out! I raced a 7 cell Boomerang and Big Wig in those days. I'd buy one if Tamiya re released them and stick 7 4600 in it with 10.5 - that would be awesome. Then again , I was always an RC speed freak
I have a Dirt and Track magazine somewhere with a picture to prove it!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Ray you are in luck my friend! Last time i looked Ian Thorn was trying to sell off his Boomerang. Here's your chance to show us just how to 'GRENADE' a Boomerang gearbox with some juiced up cells....

Old 08-03-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default OK Ray

OK Ray, that is a challenge if there was ever one, I recall you with the 7 cell, I had the Optima with 7 cell and a Checkpoint 15 turn with slot car brushes, (still got it) remember the 1987 Snives Aussie Champs race with the oval and a small dogleg for 7 cell, the first lap was the oval and the second and rest had the dog leg, remember the race where the guy put the board down for the dog leg as we started and everbody ran into the board flat out head on. You get your Big Wig and i will get my Worlds Dogfighter made up and try you again, can you tell me, did you EVER get second, I DONT THINK SO (sung), all i recall is you winning all the bloody time.
AUSSIE BOB
AUSSIE BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

The best seven cell action I saw was Ray Wood and Tony Stott running the then just released Tamiya Porsche 959 with seven cells at the Hornsby track during the lunch break....DAMnnnnnnnnnnnnnn that thing was ballistic.....

I remember Ray's boomerang running the 7 cell "international" class as it was called. The class did not live long - but it was sure spectacular. I seem to remember almost a couple of heats of it at St Ives clubbies?

Still, I often wondered how you made those gearboxes last

Cheers

Darryn
RETRO R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm all for the two classes,

I reckon either sports tune or 21.5 sensored brushless and open (including brushless). Control class freaks are happy, as are speed freaks. I'm not sure about kicking out the likes of the RC10 into the "race bread" class though, as if little johnny wants to throw a 540 in his old man'rs six gear that they dug out of the shed, I feel that they should be able to do so.

Perhaps a handicap system based on qualifying times for the finals? It's pretty easy to calculate. You place as usual and add a time penalty to bring everyones race time to that of the leader. You then have to drive better in the finals than in the quals to win. You can't chuck the quals, or you loose your grid place. Seems to work in other sports, so it might be worth a thought to allow everyone to compete on an equal footing, rather than a car to line basis.

Anyway, just a thought.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Its great to hear thoughts on this kinda stuff so keep it coming guys. One thing I have noticed is that at meets previously no body knows what class to run- ie:540,stock or modified. If we just had less to choose from then this would make more room for the second date class ( 90-94 for example). Personaly I like being given a rule then doing my best to stick to it. If I know a meeting is going to be with 'sports tuned', 'stock', or 'open' then this is easier to plan for than turning up on the day and scratching my head-

Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nothing to do with the poll, but I am now the proud owner of a chainsaw. Restorer's delight, and for those of you who ask what's a chainsaw, other than the obvious, well, you just wouldn't get it then................

Only taken me five years to take the plunge!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Wink boomerang

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSSIE BOB View Post
OK Ray, that is a challenge if there was ever one, I recall you with the 7 cell, I had the Optima with 7 cell and a Checkpoint 15 turn with slot car brushes, (still got it) remember the 1987 Snives Aussie Champs race with the oval and a small dogleg for 7 cell, the first lap was the oval and the second and rest had the dog leg, remember the race where the guy put the board down for the dog leg as we started and everbody ran into the board flat out head on. You get your Big Wig and i will get my Worlds Dogfighter made up and try you again, can you tell me, did you EVER get second, I DONT THINK SO (sung), all I recall is you winning all the bloody time.
AUSSIE BOB
I did win a lot then hey, great memories, But that talk about gearboxes ??? I never had problems with the boomer gears, I thought they were very strong. That was my advantage then as everbody else ran slip in their systems, so I always got a holeshot from the grid and just had to stay far enough in front not to get into the fighting traffic _ easy!!
As for the Porche 959 at Horsby - that was an awesome track and day. I love off road tracks that scare the shit out of me.
I wish you guys would use you names on this forum so we know who we are talking too - what a good idea.
I will make arrangements to have a 7 cell Boomerang ready for next years vintage race. If I can get a "Lunch Box", I'll try and get Ty to come and race it
Stingray
Ray Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The only thing i can see wrong is when you brake something where do you go to replace it and who stocks these older parts? I know i would probably race my super hornet if i could find parts and accesories for them and there is probably a heap of people out there in RC land that feel the same. But in the next breath it might be what this hobby really needs, just like starting an intermediate class. My club has novice then the next step would be pro tourer. There are heaps of intermediate drivers out there but a few are getting dis-heartened as they feel they can't compete against the fast guy's so they go back to bashing at the parks there for numbers are down at race meets....................All very interesting.

Just my two cents
Old 08-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
Tech Elite

With Tamiya re-releasing some of its golden oldies finding suitable inexpensive cars and spares isn't hard work. For many of us who prefer some of the rarer or harder to find cars Im certain the hunt is part of the fun. There's nothing like tracking down and landing some cool stuff you didnt think was possible.
Lets face it,the 80's were a prime time in electric off roading here and around the world. Manufacturers would come out with all kinds of weird and wonderful designs hoping to capture the enthusiasm of the market. Many of these cars did well and still will do well on the race track and with modern accessories to go on to these cars we can make them more reliable than ever.
Many will talk of the older technonoly batteries,motors,radio's and even 'mechanical' speed controllers of the day. Now days we have access to a miriad of cool electrics which I think was half the battle back then. It was hard work just making 6 minutes with the old 1200sc packs. You had to gear and set your car up around that. Now days the power seems limitless so we can brave new horizons.
Sure some of the cars are not up to competition but if you have a look at the 'TIME TUNNEL' website in Japan you ought to see what they are up to. They take any pre 89' buggy and mod them,add to them or just plain work on making them more reliable race cars.
Vintage racing brings with it a spirit that modern stuff lacks. There doesnt need to be any pressure in this class as its a chance for many of us to step back in time and race the cars we grew up with and its FUN!

Old 08-11-2008, 05:32 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Old Yokomo Spares for sale.

Original Part Numbers as displayed on the packaging are as follows:
ZB-4, ZB-2N, ZB-5, ZB-41, ZB-8, ZB-11R, ZB-11L, ZB-35N, ZB-31L, ZB-31R, YM-056, SPRINGS 6514, ZB-9, ZB-25, ZB-10, ZB-28, ZB-3717 (17 Tooth gear), ZB-3718 (18 Tooth gear).
2 brand new stock motors,
2 used stock motors
Bear 2 Alpina wheel radio controller.

Some parts are shown in pics, for more info pm me and I will pass on the owners name and mobile number.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.-dscn2762.jpg   Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.-dscn2764.jpg   Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.-dscn2766.jpg   Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.-dscn2767.jpg   Vintage racing scene and buggy classes poll.-dscn2775.jpg  

Jenny2004 is offline   Reply With Quote