Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
AARCMCC Monster Truck Rule Revision >

AARCMCC Monster Truck Rule Revision

AARCMCC Monster Truck Rule Revision

Old 06-18-2008, 12:48 AM
Tech Initiate

really not trying to stir it up but.....

someone asked about manufacturers intent for their product and someone asked when is a truggy a truggy, when is a mt an mt?

just dug out my old HPI Hellfire RTR box...(which is a truggy, right?) and printed across the box is "Purpose Built 1/8 scale competition MONSTER TRUCK" !!! and its even printed in their glossy catalog

and no I dont know if it meets the CURRENT rules (engine mount height etc) but I'm sure a quick mod and it would if it doesnt already!

Papa.

Last edited by PaPaSmUrF; 06-18-2008 at 12:50 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old 06-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PaPaSmUrF
really not trying to stir it up but.....

just dug out my old HPI Hellfire RTR box...(which is a truggy, right?) and printed across the box is "Purpose Built 1/8 scale competition MONSTER TRUCK" !!! and its even printed in their glossy catalog
It's not stiring things up at all, it's good to know these things as I'd never considered it a MT.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ding
Hi Mike,
My point in this is that it seems ok to modify a Revo or any other MT to suit yourselves WITHIN the rules, but you take offence at what Tony did within the rules.
Just take 2 seconds, and have a think about why the rules exist?

It was also the consensus of every true MT driver there (and a lot of other drivers), that what he was driving was still a truggy, and therefore not within the rules.

Copytec had one of the more modded Revo's there, and yet he didnt gain an unfair advantage through his modding. His particular setup is just what works and is popular on their home track.

Also, about modding a Revo to fit a .21 not being what the manufacturer intended. You can only speculate what the manufacturer intended, but the fact they have an aftermarket big block motor mount available suggests they want you to run whatever engine you desire.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mtbkym01
I think the key is modifying an MT for the MT class, not a truggy for the MT class.
Thats a perfect answer.
Putting a larger .21 Engine on a revo still puts it no where near what a Losi LST2 or a Savage have as there power plants.
Althou you may think that it is for the power increase ( Of Course Theres An Increase, Its A V-Spec), thats not the main reason that I did it ... Just go and have a look at the range of .21 Big Block you have to choose from. They can be as cheap as $120 and go up to $600++.
Have a look at what engines there are avalible for the revo as a direct fit, it is very limited.
I choose to install a OS V-Spec due to the longevity and reliability of the engine. I have been told to expect between 30 to 40 liters. Much better than the traxxas 3.3. I did have the .21TM in for quite some time and went thru two con rods and I bet that anyone who is running one removes the Glow Plug and rotate the engine to TDC and you will feel what I mean.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

Post improved below

Last edited by FREAK!; 06-18-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 AM
Tech Addict

As for the side pipes, I think they should be allowed, they are very obvious and every one can see where they are when running to marshal a Truck. It a lot of ways I think they are better than side pipes that are concealed under the body on trucks because they are less obvious and when grabbing the truck your hand/fingers can still contact the pipe. And you can’t tell me that people that marshal would not know that something that looks like a pipe wouldn’t be hot
Old 06-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Tech Addict

I think this is all that is needed

AUSTRALIAN CONSTRUCTION RULES FOR M.T Unlimited. Last amended 15/01/07
Monster trucks shall be divided into two sections a Small Block Class and a Big Block Class
5.3 DEFINITION AND COMMON RULES
5.3.1 a) To be a Standard MT the engine must be fitted as the manufacturer intended and the lowest point of the engine must sit at least 1.5" inches above
the lowest point along the front-back centre line when compressed (usually the "skid plates"). To
tech questionable MT's, remove the wheels, place MT on flat surface, compress the vehicle fully
and a ruler (or 1.5" gauge) could be used vertically to measure the engine above the surface.
5.3.1 a1) the addition or modification to the vehicles skid plates or suspension travel which alters the vehicle in a way that make it comply with (rule 5.3.1) are not permitted
5.3.1 b) No Width restrictions.
5.3.1 c) No Length restrictions.
5.3.1 d) No Weight restrictions.
bla bla bla

What do you all think???
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by copytec
Do you still think that I am the person that showed bad sportsmanship?

Do you really still think that I am a Sore Loser and that he raced smart ?

Do you still think that I am hidding anythink ?

Do you really reckon thats what I am about

I am now just wandering if your opinion of me has changed.
If you expected me to lay down and accept what had happen, that would have just been piss weak of me.
I also notice no one said anything to rc skyline about his comments.
I see that I was the first to say anything about it, and I got slamed for it, now we are all talking about changing the rules. All you guys thought that what he did was fine ...no problem ..smart racer. It wasn't smart, it has caused problems, and its not fine. Being so close to the 2008 NATS there may not be enough time to get new rules passed. Would any of you guys want to see Tony race that same Truck at the 2008 NATS ?
copytech
your pointlessly going over lost ground.
concentrate on what needs to be done to get the rules changed.
If these revised rules are not approved by AARCMCC prior to the Nationals, you will only have yourselves to blame from waisting time arguing over rules.
Mike for gods sake. take your set of proposed rules to your clubs committee, get them signed and approved by them and e-mail them of to Paul Wylie or Brad Smith tommorrow. Brad has already offered his help to get this done for you, but he isnt going to write the rules for you, neither will any other AARCMCC official because its not there job to do so. AARCMCC with have this proposal out to all affiliated clubs within a day or so for comment. Once this is done, the rest of you m.t boys need to hound your clubs representitive for a copy of the proposed rules for comment/ammendment and finally signing off by all clubs. Job done!!
AARCMCC and the affiliated clubs part of the deal should take about 6 weeks I'd imagine.
Do it tommorrow and you should have it done in about 6 weeks time.
Keep going over lost ground, like when these rules were 1st proposed for sanctioning and you should have them in about 18 months or more.
there will be mutant M.Ts at every state and national title in the mean time.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

there is only one rule that needs to be set to stop all the crap
keep the same rules but ad this you cant not change the factory engine mount simple you have to have the same engine height as set there for tony would not have been able to do so if he keeped his engine mount factory
simple realy
Old 06-18-2008, 02:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Revolutionist
copytech
your pointlessly going over lost ground.
concentrate on what needs to be done to get the rules changed.
If these revised rules are not approved by AARCMCC prior to the Nationals, you will only have yourselves to blame from waisting time arguing over rules.
Mike for gods sake. take your set of proposed rules to your clubs committee, get them signed and approved by them and e-mail them of to Paul Wylie or Brad Smith tommorrow. Brad has already offered his help to get this done for you, but he isnt going to write the rules for you, neither will any other AARCMCC official because its not there job to do so. AARCMCC with have this proposal out to all affiliated clubs within a day or so for comment. Once this is done, the rest of you m.t boys need to hound your clubs representitive for a copy of the proposed rules for comment/ammendment and finally signing off by all clubs. Job done!!
AARCMCC and the affiliated clubs part of the deal should take about 6 weeks I'd imagine.
Do it tommorrow and you should have it done in about 6 weeks time.
Keep going over lost ground, like when these rules were 1st proposed for sanctioning and you should have them in about 18 months or more.
there will be mutant M.Ts at every state and national title in the mean time.
Why don't you do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Revolutionist
Mike for gods sake. take your set of proposed rules to your clubs committee, get them signed and approved by them and e-mail them of to Paul Wylie or Brad Smith tommorrow.
So we are happy with the current rules with the following changes? I am on a committee and am more than happy to submit the changes

5.3.1 a) To be a Standard MT the vehicle must comply with the following points:-
(1) The lowest point of the engine must sit at least 1/5" inches above the lowest point along the front-back centre line when compressed (usually the "skid plates"). To tech questionable MT's, remove the wheels, place MT on flat surface, compress the vehicle fully and a ruler (or 1.5" guage) could be used vertically to measure the engine above the surface.
(2) Buggy/Truggy style drive trains, ie. a flat chassis with all drivetrain components mounted on top, are not permitted.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by driftnerd
there is only one rule that needs to be set to stop all the crap
keep the same rules but ad this you cant not change the factory engine mount simple you have to have the same engine height as set there for tony would not have been able to do so if he keeped his engine mount factory
simple realy
you could add skid plates to the underside of the chassie, this would get around your rule and still give an unfare advantage
Old 06-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Tech Initiate

there will be mutant M.Ts at every state and national title in the mean time
I don't think so and I say to any MT driver that turns up to any sanctioned event that see's any of the above mentioned mutant M.Ts to not race against them... Easy Fix.

Are you going to have the balls to turn up with one.

Anyone that does good on ya ... you have done well in destroying the MT Class, which is probably what a lot of people would like to see anyway.

I’m going to give up on MT and just race my Mugen MBX5T in the Truggy Class where it belongs.

So theres on less MT that you will all have to worry about

Thank Tony
Thank to the Officials at the QLD State titles
Thanks to all that supported Tony and what he did
None of you people help, You are all to blame for suppporting what he did.
If every person on this forum said that was he did wrong and not " Well if it meet the rules the its a MT"
Or Well Done Tony You Beat every One within The Rules.
We wouldn't be wasting so much time now
So Up YOUR ARSE MATE . I my self have had a fu#$ing Gut load Of IT

You all supported what he did ...You are all as much to blame

EX MT driver couldn't careless now what happens at any Titles event.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by gen18
Just take 2 seconds, and have a think about why the rules exist?

It was also the consensus of every true MT driver there (and a lot of other drivers), that what he was driving was still a truggy, and therefore not within the rules.

Copytec had one of the more modded Revo's there, and yet he didnt gain an unfair advantage through his modding. His particular setup is just what works and is popular on their home track.

Also, about modding a Revo to fit a .21 not being what the manufacturer intended. You can only speculate what the manufacturer intended, but the fact they have an aftermarket big block motor mount available suggests they want you to run whatever engine you desire.
Where does it say that it cannot be a truggy in the rules I cannot find it?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Tech Regular

Because I no longer race a monster truck.
I,m only trying to help you guys because i know 1st hand how it all works.
BTW it doesnt have to be Mike. Any body can do it. I only suggested him because he was involved with the original rule discussions prior to the class being sanctioned. It Just needs SOMEONE do do it.
If you want to close the loop hole even quicker, simply compile a list of recognised, original manufacturers makes and models of monster trucks and submit a list of these to AARCMCC for approval as a simple ammendment until such time as the final rules are ammended. I Know AARCMCC are already discussing this at the moment. Dont be surprised if this isnt acted upon before the Vic. titles, let alone the nationals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.