Search

Glitching....please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Glitching....please help

Hey guys,

Im hoping you could help me to figure out what might be wrong of faulty.

Out on the track the car comes to a sudden stop, sometimes for a milli second other times for longer, I still have steering but no motor when this happens. This even occurs sometimes when I switch the car on, I have steering but no motor power.

This started happening a month or so ago, nothing in the car has been changed / replaced or moved, I first though it was a hung brush, but with trying different things Im pretty sure its not the motor.

This kept on occurring during racing last night, strangely enough the motor power seemed to cut out regularly at certain parts of the track

Ive got no idea what it is, I have a spektrum which has never played up, not sure if its that and an LRP TC ESC which is quite new.

It was suggested last night to put a cap on the Spektrum receiver and that didn't work.

Has anybody got any suggestions on what may cause this strange power glitch.

thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

check the TC isnt on lipo setting. this will turn the car off as a fail safe mode.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cristian Silva
Hey guys,

Im hoping you could help me to figure out what might be wrong of faulty.

Out on the track the car comes to a sudden stop, sometimes for a milli second other times for longer, I still have steering but no motor when this happens. This even occurs sometimes when I switch the car on, I have steering but no motor power.

This started happening a month or so ago, nothing in the car has been changed / replaced or moved, I first though it was a hung brush, but with trying different things Im pretty sure its not the motor.

This kept on occurring during racing last night, strangely enough the motor power seemed to cut out regularly at certain parts of the track

Ive got no idea what it is, I have a spektrum which has never played up, not sure if its that and an LRP TC ESC which is quite new.

It was suggested last night to put a cap on the Spektrum receiver and that didn't work.

Has anybody got any suggestions on what may cause this strange power glitch.

thanks.
a few Q's

does the car restart again or do you need to turn it off to get it powered up again?

what servo do you run?

are you running 6 cell?

what wind motor is it and what condition is it in?

a lot of these issues are due to initial or high current draw moments in the esc. it only happens with spektrum and what is occuring is the rx is going in to a momentary failsafe mode and shutting down.

causes are a certain mix of equip. ie if you are running a KO FET servo it can easily happen. other causes are faulty motors etc...
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ben73
a few Q's

does the car restart again or do you need to turn it off to get it powered up again?

what servo do you run?

are you running 6 cell?

what wind motor is it and what condition is it in?

a lot of these issues are due to initial or high current draw moments in the esc. it only happens with spektrum and what is occuring is the rx is going in to a momentary failsafe mode and shutting down.

causes are a certain mix of equip. ie if you are running a KO FET servo it can easily happen. other causes are faulty motors etc...
Not in Lipo mode:

Ben thanks.

- The car restarts, or the power to the motor, last night it was happening of millisecond and up to 2 to 3 seconds. I still have steering when this occurs.

- KO digital servo (low profile)

-6 cells stock motor, Ive quite competent at maintaining the motors, Ive tried a few different 27T and still occurs, all have had new brushes and cut comm.

Ive got the next 2 or so hours to do some experimenting and stuff to find out the problem, hopefully it can be fixed for tomorrows challenge cup.

thanks for your help, anymore advice will be appreciated.

Cristian.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Not in Lipo mode:

Ben thanks.

- The car restarts, or the power to the motor, last night it was happening of millisecond and up to 2 to 3 seconds. I still have steering when this occurs.

-6 cells stock motor, Ive quite competent at maintaining the motors, Ive tried a few different 27T and still occurs, all have had new brushes and cut comm.

Ive got the next 2 or so hours to do some experimenting and stuff to find out the problem, hopefully it can be fixed for tomorrows challenge cup.

Cristian.
If you have another ESC, throw it in to try.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Christian,

Which receiver is it you're using?

If it's the SR3500 then I'd suggest you simply replace it with something else. I have two of these that do exactly as you describe. The SR3000 and SR3001 don't seem to suffer the same problems.

Cache Ya,
Craig.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Momentum
Christian,

Which receiver is it you're using?

If it's the SR3500 then I'd suggest you simply replace it with something else. I have two of these that do exactly as you describe. The SR3000 and SR3001 don't seem to suffer the same problems.

Cache Ya,
Craig.
its the SR3001....bought it not even a year ago.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

could it be perhaps my soldering, would bad soldering cause this?????

to the motor Im assuming.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Not in Lipo mode:

Ben thanks.

Cristian.
Christian

hate to say it but you have the worst mix of gear possible.

same as I use in fact.... it is the KO servo thats causing the problem.

change the servo and go to a digital coreless and you wont have the problem.

or go to FM radio.

or change the ESC.

the other thing is 6 cell packs produce so much voltage also and that adds to the mix as you can produce more amperage - 5 cell eliminates the problem but its not much good for you in stock.

I gather you are running onroad? I would not expect with a stock motor in offroad you can draw enough current momentarily from the esc to shut down the rx.

I have used all the spektrum rx and they all do it with KO servo and the LRP's.

What usually solves it for us has been to use a power CAP plugged in to the RX. I have moved away from KO Rx's in my 4wd offroad car and have not had any issues since then.

good luck
Old 06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ive been running the same gear for years with no problem, just recently this started happening.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if its brushed it might need brushes.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rjs_13203
if its brushed it might need brushes.
there new and Ive tried 2 motors also with new brushes and cut comm.
Im adamant its not the motor
Old 06-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Ive been running the same gear for years with no problem, just recently this started happening.
you must have changed the ESC because it has not been available for years?

if it has been working previously though have you just got new cells? the increased voltage will cause the issue also.

otherwise as per the previous post you have a motor which is drawing too much current.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

there new and Ive tried 2 motors also with new brushes and cut comm.
Im adamant its not the motor
the issue may well be with the motor. I have done a huge amount of testing with this fault and it varied dramatically with motors.

the cutoff is critical with 6 cells, its only a few amps of instantaneous peak draw that changes the availability of current to the BEC and this causes the shutdown.

if you have another servo give it a quick try as it draws just a little more than other servos and takes the load which causes the shutdown of the rx. its the quickest way I can point you to eliminating the problem - or at least narrowing it down.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There are four small tabs holding the circuit board[capacitor] on the endbell of most new stock motors. Try putting a small amount of solder on each of the four tabs connecting to the board. Have seen this problem many times and this solution seems to work. Something to try before you shell out a heap of cash on new gear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.