offroad! what do we need to fix it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

offroad! what do we need to fix it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default offroad! what do we need to fix it.

This form of racing 15 yrs ago was booming.It would be excellent if we could get it back to the glory days don't you think?Forget the politics for a minute and try and invisage what could be done to entice people back to the best form of rc.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: offroad! what do we need to fix it.

Originally posted by fromadistance
This form of racing 15 yrs ago was booming.It would be excellent if we could get it back to the glory days don't you think?Forget the politics for a minute and try and invisage what could be done to entice people back to the best form of rc.

Is there really anything wrong with it?
15 years ago there wasnt the competition from on-road tourer classes there is now, I have just bought my first off-roader after racing nitro 1/10 scale for a few years as I want to try something different and I think there may be a few people who like me want to try different forms of RC.........These things always seem to go through cycles. My 2c

gt

Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Default offroad, whats needed

So true these things do go in cycles.Hope you enjoy you,re new found toy.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd like to be able to answer your question but I'm finding it really difficult because at my club offroad is very much alive. We get between 40 and 50 racers to every club meeting at Maitland.

Perhaps the answer is strong clubs.

So how do we get strong clubs? All I can do is tell you what works at Maitland.

Firstly we only race once a month. This means that everyone is always desperate to race. No one ever wants to miss a meeting. This means that numbers in all classes are generally good. This is important because the more drivers you have in a race the more fun it is.

Also, we race 4 heats and 1 final at the meeting, so its a very full day and good value for money ($6 per class). Some racers bring their whole family and spend the time that they're not racing, marshalling and wrenching having a picnic.

We produce a newsletter every month and extra copies are distributed to the local hobby shops. This helps get people interested.

First time entrants get to race for free.

We try to encourage people all the time. Certificates are awarded for 1st to 3rd in every class and for B finals if there are any. If it so happens that we have to combine classes because of a lack of enteries in one then we still try to give certificates for each class seperatly even though they raced together.

We race a Rookie class for first time racers that have their motor limited to low powered motors that are common in beginners kits.

In the past the club did not have a modified class (about 3 years ago now) and the Modified racers driving at the club raced Stock. In this way the numbers in the classes were always kept up. Additionally some (2 or 3) club members race 2 or even 3 cars on occasions and this keeps the numbers in classes high as well.

Old race kits used by the top drivers are most commonly sold to new racers at the club and it is not uncommon to see 5 or so drivers using cars that once belonged to other racers at the club on a club day.

Perhaps the most important thing is that the meetings are always well run. Breaks are kept to a minimum and when we do have need for a break we always start the next round at the time nominated. Races are watched by club officials and hacking, cutting etc. results in warnings and penalties if it continues. This is very important because nobody comes back if they are beaten by a cheat and nothing is done; clean racing is much more enjoyable for all.

If you break a part and you have a common kit then there's always someone at the track that can help you out with a spare.

We change the track layout every 18 months or so, that helps.

I hope some of this may help you.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default offroad

maitland really sounds like it has its act together and seems well structured.i will take these sugestions on board,thanks.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

The off road scene in Sydney is alive as well, just get around to Castle Hill and have a meeting or two.
We run very similar too Maitland as far as the race meeting goes, but the most important rule we have is have fun racing
We are fortunate to run a transponder system to help the meeting go smoothly and friendly help is everywhere
Old 08-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Master

The competition in off road is still good now, but we have to do something about the future, no doubt about that. It will involve, getting back in touch with the hobby shops, being positive, encouraging new guys and helping them out.

what is doesnt need is dickhe@ds getting online and saying things they dont even know what they are talking about. These people know who they are and most i know havnt been to an off road race and the ones who have are still frustrated at not being able to get past the C final at previous big off road races.

Try racing off road and on road cars in the same day, if you can honestly say you like the on road experience better, I would find it hard to beleive.

Off roads cheaper, more exciting, more reliant on skill, why shouldnt it succeed.

Unity and being positive is the only way forward....
Old 08-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

amongst other things is it the "realism" (used loosely) of on road that gets people in initally?

we were getting good numbers running the cheaper duratrax trucks a few of them ventured into full blown comp machines but the new drivers seem hard to keep interested...
Old 08-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

more reliant on skill
This is where the problem lies with most drivers, they seem to like running mid field in on road, but lack the skill to hack off road.
most will complain about the cars getting dirty, but I seem to find that at some tracks, my on road cars get dirtier.
Another thing that I find helps the on-road drivers is they don't count how many times they bounce off the barriers, where in off road, they would proberly be on the're lids.