Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > International Forums > Australian Racing
How much $$$ is it going to cost to run MOD? >

How much $$$ is it going to cost to run MOD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much $$$ is it going to cost to run MOD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Besercoe
Make sure you start with a fresh profile on your radio, turn off things like ABS, make sure you have full throttle throw. Make sure you turn radio on first, listen for the beep, and give the throttle a short stab, all will be fine. Make sure you dont touch the throttle till you hear the beep.

Then run through all the setup profiles, as you will most likely have a reversing setup on it standard.

For most people brushless will have more than enough power, if you are new to mod, you will lose more time on lines, and hitting things than losing straight line speed compared to say a 7 turn brushed, and you wont have as many issues with runtime.
all the neccessary radio settings are at full, but i am hearing no beeps . i'll give it another go tommorow. thanks for the help.
hopefully all will be fixed for it's virgin run at northside venom challenge
Old 07-21-2003, 01:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by (SE)XRAY
Well yes, thinking of getting the Novak Brushless system !

Iv'e spoken to many ppl regarding the mod and " they have scared me' hahaha so I'm thinking of getting the Brushless system!

What do ppl think about the new Brushless system?
Does it stack up against the mod motors?

Cheers
Personally I suggest you put your Money Into the Novak SS Brushless. Most clubs already have a BL Class or are looking at one in the very near future and the things just ROCK. In unlimited Mode they Fly and in Limited Mode they push the car along very nicely indeed with superb runtime especially with a good 3300mAh Pack...

It is so good to just take your car out and run it and not have to worry about Brushes, Comm Cutting, Motor Cleaning, etc etc... Leaves a lot more time for serious FUN
Old 07-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Elite

the brushless hacker is the better motor. speed wise. it has various setings with the comp and even sports esc. i took it out to moorebank with the base settings (not unlimited) and 75/22 48 pitch gears/pinions and it is balistic.

i did notice though that small trigger reactions aren't "sensed" by the motor.from standstill. but it is very quick.

i have heard that the novak isn't as competative. and the speed isn't up to mod levels

i ment brushless hacker, sorry for any misunderstandings

Last edited by VenomWorldOrder; 07-21-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
the brushless is the better motor. speed wise. it has various setings with the comp and even sports esc. i took it out to moorebank with the base settings (not unlimited) and 75/22 48 pitch gears/pinions and it is bablistic.

i did notice though that small trigger reactions aren't "sensed" by the motor.from standstill. but it is very quick.

i have heard that the novak isn't as competative. and the speed isn't up to mod levels
there is no doubt about the 6T Hackers speed it's very fast. The trade off is runtime and thermal shutdowns. The Novak is slower, but yeilds more runtime and is simpler to install and setup. At most club days the Novak would be fine. At special events like Summer/Winter Champs etc, invading the top 10 with the Novak would be a hard task (i've tried, normally just out in the b's). Sub 10 wind brushed motors , big cells and damn good driving will continue to dominate the big events.

The Novak has very good off the mark accerlation, and very good top end, but lacks mid range punch, the mid range area is great on sub 10 brushed motors, producing strong power exiting corners, gaining crucial time each lap.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

at the only run i tryed it at (moorebank) it was dead cool.

i am assuming on smaller "on/off" throttle tracks it might get hotter but....geez is it quick? IS IT EVER!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thermo shutdown is a little issue with the 6t Hacker but, if geared right, no dramas making 6-7 minutes. Don't know about in 40 degree heat yet, but no dramas, so far.

If you go a 7 or 8t Hacker, then heat/thermo shutdown shouldn't pose a problem at all with extra runtime to boot.

Uncle has the 8t Hacker. Top end power doesn't seem to be much different, but gets there a smidge slower. Still very competitive against the brushed motors and I saw him do 2 heats on the same pack at an Eastern Creek club day when he first got it. So runtime is extremely good.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

personally i haven’t had any issues with thermal shutdown on my hacker sport speedie /w 6T yet..... but when i first got the system, i had lots of trouble on a standstill. If I punched it on a standstill (what i had been doing with brushed), it gets very stally and hard to manage.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah, I've been having that problem with starts as you've may have noticed. Tried alot of different suggestions from a number of people but still haven't fully sorted that out yet. Coxy's doesn't seem to suffer with that problem at all. I think he must have nailed the perfect technique to starting.

Had no problem with shutdown at Meca.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Slabism
If I punched it on a standstill (what i had been doing with brushed), it gets very stally and hard to manage.
thant could be the esc due to your being a sports. becouse with mine i can gun it and it shoots of like a rocket.

i also have that small dead point when initially accelerating. it's only a small issue though no big woop.

4 people with hackers so far ay! i'll look out for you at v challenge. i have the ugly arsed blue green gray stratus body with no stickers. (has one solitary freeby fast tires sticker on the side)
Old 07-24-2003, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

I've got the Competition ESC but still have that problem. Not so bad if your really gentle on the throttle on initial take off thou. I can't even look like giving it much until I've got a bit of momentum.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:22 AM
Tech Adept

im not sure what it is, maby the esc? scott seems to have similar problems with his comp
lately iv been trying to use very little throttle to get it of the line and this works very well......but i know for sure, if i punch it, its going to cut out for a half second and thats a disaster with modified cars starting behind
Old 07-24-2003, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Tell me about it.

It scared me at Meca having 6 cars run up the back of me off the start. I felt sorry for everyone that started behind me in that race. Last thing you want to cause is a pile up on the grid.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:27 AM
Tech Adept

lol…i did exactly the same thing at CH when I first got the hacker. Stoped on the grid in the final and got collected bad by nearly everyone

Last edited by Slabism; 07-24-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder

4 people with hackers so far ay! i'll look out for you at v challenge. i have the ugly arsed blue green gray stratus body with no stickers. (has one solitary freeby fast tires sticker on the side)
i now know of 7ppl in Syd using the hacker systems. You will have fun with the hacker at venom. Its one of the few tracks which have the grip and size to make good use the power of the 6T

Last edited by Slabism; 07-24-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Some will not admit to short cell life but it's fact. i rotate my packs every 4 months, best to sell them while they still have life and runtime. Ive actually seen 12 solids runs quoted as the life of a GP pack. GP cells are the best for mod if you want to have the best speed and runtime, but life is shorter.
SMC say 15 chargers on GP cells and they notice runtime starting to drop off on the machine. Voltage stays up alot longer thou. But realistically the average racer wouldn't notice this until probably twice that many chargers. But your right, you must keep turning them over to stay up front.