Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default brushed or brushless stock

brushed or brushless stock , what will be the go , and what will faster
Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by the fos
brushed or brushless stock , what will be the go , and what will faster
My stock car at the moment is brushed and will remain so for this year. It is fast enough to compete with BL. It seems the new ROAR rules will use a 17.5 bl, so even when those rules comes in brushed will be remain a decent option.

For super stock (19t) 10.5 or 13.5 bl may be the options, i guess will will have to see what happens locally with AARCMCC.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:21 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A lot of people are saying that 17.5 brushless is more like 540 than that of a "stock" 27t motor.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default 17.5

Originally Posted by SH
A lot of people are saying that 17.5 brushless is more like 540 than that of a "stock" 27t motor.
Our club has decided to follow roar rules on motors. These rules were set with the assistance of most if not all of the bl manufs.
Stock is 27br or 17.5bl so far all are using 27 but I think that will change slowly. (Some of the blokes are talking bl already). S/Stock is 13.5 as no one here has a 19br but plenty of 13.5's.
There is about a 2-3 lap difference between the best drivers (equal ability) in the 2 stock classes. 5 minute races 17/18laps/stock, 20 laps s/stock.
If you read enough forums 27 usually, but not always, has a slight advantage. It seems that the track itself has a lot to do with it.
We followed roar rules as after a season of testing 13.5 was way quicker on our track and we also have a fair few beginners so it suited us to split the class.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

brushless all the way.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Team Ash
Our club has decided to follow roar rules on motors. These rules were set with the assistance of most if not all of the bl manufs.
Stock is 27br or 17.5bl so far all are using 27 but I think that will change slowly. (Some of the blokes are talking bl already). S/Stock is 13.5 as no one here has a 19br but plenty of 13.5's.
There is about a 2-3 lap difference between the best drivers (equal ability) in the 2 stock classes. 5 minute races 17/18laps/stock, 20 laps s/stock.
If you read enough forums 27 usually, but not always, has a slight advantage. It seems that the track itself has a lot to do with it.
We followed roar rules as after a season of testing 13.5 was way quicker on our track and we also have a fair few beginners so it suited us to split the class.
I beg to differ as it seems that the ROAR rules for stock and superstock brushless motors follow the recommendations of one manufacturer - it remains to be seen how workable they are. The inductance test has been proven not to work (2007 Summernats I think it was), not to mention that Novak's description of it involved 20 motors. Hardly scientific...

Have you tried to test the motors yet?

Fact is 13.5 is not equivalent to a 27T brushed, the 17.5 looks a better alternative. We'll see what happens as they start to appear. I have been running 19T vs 10.5 for over 6 months now and they are very even. 10.5 has better initial torque but the 19T brushed has better top end. Now that I have just bought a 10.5 I will get a good idea of the difference. At this stage it would be my preference to have 10.5 as the middle class.

We are looking into some dyno / rev testers that are going to become available shortly to test B/L motors. Per volt rev limits could be a good way of specifying, limiting and scrutineering B/L motors for stock and super stock.

vazzo,

I think in your case it would be as long as you can run sintered rotors...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

lol your not wrong buddy, I cant wait till sintered rotor is the standard. Those bonded rotors are a little dodgy. Next year hopefully well have the next best thing to lipo.........sintered rotors.

Cheers
Adrian
Old 02-10-2008, 12:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I ran 3 heats and a final yesterday with the sintered 17.5 against the bonded 13.5 and 27t brushed (our usual Qld stock class) and I reckon ROAR have made the right choice. The motor is very close in performance to 27t brushed - just as the 13.5 bonded was but comes off the track after 5 mins a lot cooler.