Wiki Posts
Search

How to make a shaft drive car run quieter

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Marc,

I have been running a shaft drive TC3 or TC4 now for the last 5 years, and I would not call either chassis noisy. I use 1 drop (or less) of sewing machine oil on the gears, and have the gear boxes shimmed loose (ie, with a lot of play in the gears) and whilst you can notice a slight noise holding the car, I hear nothing on the track. The only time the car gets noisy is when it picks up a small stone in the spur or motor pinion gear, and this happens to every car at some point.

I also own a Tamiya Evo 3 that I bought second hand. This car I did find to be very noisy, and the cause was a damaged / stripped crown gear on the front diff. I could only see this damage after I had completely removed the gear from the gear case. If you find that the gears are damaged in your car, I would recommend replacing both the crown and pinion gears, and then checking the mesh on the gears, and shimming to suit. I believe that stripping the gears in the EVO series cars is a common problem.

If you bought the car second hand, check the pitch of the spur gear that is fitted, Tamiyas 0.6 module looks similar to 48dp, but they are not compatible. Also, these cars are fitted with Tamiya 0.4 module spurs as standard, so if you are using 64dp pinions, you may be getting noise from there.

Goodluck

One thing that does get noisier when you drive a shaft drive car is the other drivers on the drivers stand, groaning each time you overtake them going down the straight. You will get used to this as time goes on..... LOL.

Last edited by StumpyRC; 12-05-2007 at 02:11 AM. Reason: I cant spell...LOL.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 AM
H I
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cannon
This stuff is the best kept secret ... especially in sealed gearboxes
Soooo... Greg this is the secret weapon you going to use in your mini to keep up with me. Go on use it, you'll need every help you can get

Sorry guys, it's off topic but had to be said.