Community
Wiki Posts
Search

should there be a Off-road track in adelaide northern suburbs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Swanny
I didn't even know of any petition going to get a track set up in the north until I read this thread.

Another track to look at is the Ryde track. I used to be a member there before I moved back to Adelaide. The website is www.sydneyrc.com. It has numerous layouts that can be used by placing boards at various points to change the layout. The soil there is a mixture and once the top layer of clay was mixed in with the layers of dirt underneath, drainage was good.

I'd put my support into a club in the north providing the race days didn't clash with my electric on road at Littlehampton. It would definitely get my wife's supprt as well if Mini-T was a class there.
The petition has only just been "revived".

Support the club anyway as racing days haven't even been thought about. We haven't even started the club yet. Racing would be scheduled as to not interfere with any other club events (except Hobby Habit cos they really won't affect us) so that we can maximise the number of attendees.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

SDMCC track origionaly was catered for Electric racing and what happened to that, it died in the ass. So in reality its best to cater for what has numbers, which is Nitro, sure the electrics can run also but with Hobby Habbit and their electric track it would be silly IMO to design a track that doesnt cater for what people want, and at this stage it is Nitro cars.

Where are you basing that information from, years and years ago ?. Pick up the latest Australian mags and see the numbers that electric are getting these days. Like I mentioned in Vic and NSW they are getting 100 to 160 entries and these are for their interculub rounds in electric. Their are a lot of people with electrics that want to run offroad on dirt, so I find your comments based on incorrect information.

Yes electric offroad died out for years but it is back and bigger than ever and if Adelaide does not build a decent offroad dirt track to cater for it we will miss the boat
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by GenReaper
Sponsership Banners around the base of the chainlink fencing and shrubery would deaden the noise alot. Why not kill two birds with one stone with some banners and signs while gaining sponsership to help running costs all in one go

I'm already onto that.

Just looking at the number of people replying on this topic (not including myself) there are already 10 members. I can scrounge up another 5 members, so there is a race meet already (admitedley a small one!) So there is demand, SIGN UP. If you cannot get into complete hobbies to sign the petition (and you visit this forum), PM me your name, suburb, and phone number (even an email address) so I can add it to the list of potential members!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As far as banners go, you could do as RRCSA (Littlehampton) does and charge a higher annual fee that includes membership and space to put up a sign.

As for dates the other clubs in Adelaide run as follows:
SDMCC gas off road: 2nd and 4th Sundays
SDMCC electric off road: 1st and 3rd Sundays
Littlehampton electric and gas tourers, large scale: 2nd and 4th Sundays*

*At the moment we are trialling a split race day format over 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sundays. So far it has been a success, but requires review for 2008.

SDMCC is my 'home' club as that's where I started some 20 years ago (when electric off road in Adelaide was much bigger), but I'm in support of what you're doing.

I'll have to find time to visit your shop as I understand your the SA dealer for XRay.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm very interested yet have some concerns.

I think Salisbury council won't be easy to deal with and I don't see them giving much support. I could be wrong (and hope I am) but I wouldn't expect smooth sailing from them. From experience, TTG council has been a bit more friendly to these kind of things in the past. There is also a large amount of empty land on the edge of Greenwith that already has a motocross venue. This leads me to think that the council wouldn't be so concerned about our littls noise makers when those things already get a run. For those with google earth, check out 34,45'35.95"S 138,43'38.46" E. Large scale tree plantings and fences help with noise.

Race dates would have to be carefully scheduled. The absolutely last thing you would want to do is clash with MV because as an established, well run club, you'd lose members. The other problem you'll have starting up is the established racers from the north that head down to MV are going to have to choose one track or the other. Even if race dates don't clash, I can't race every single weekend and I would think most people couldn't either.

Wood framed jumps, as in the jump or tabletop has a wood frame with packed dirt on top wouldn't be so bad. Save on dirt that way.

I would personally ask to have a petition put in at hobby habit enfield. They sell a lot of buggies etc. too so having some mention of it there would be good.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Come down to the usual bash spot Saturday and more then likely you will have the regulars there to sign as well, as they went to Norlunga track last weekend, im sure they will be there Saturday about lunch as will i

Ive also got a few on MSN interested so install it Darko and ill give you some more details

Brad mate, i think HH would see the track as a posssible threat to their own track, im not sure but hey i could ask them as i spent a few grand in their shop over the last two months so i sure they wont give the the cold shoulder if they do well you can only guess where ill take my business.

Brad i used to race my CR125 at that track and its in a valley where water runoff carves big ruts in the track, If we could get an area thats on top of one of those hills it wouldnt be too bad. Not a bad place for it realy either, noise wouldnt be a drama but there is alot of delvelopment happening around that area in general and within a year it may just be surrounded by housing, who knows.

Last edited by GenReaper; 08-27-2007 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

The track that we are thinking of lies in Port Adelaide Enfield Council. I have a few contacts there. In regards to Salisbury, I have already spoken to them about it and they have offered some possible sites, however, they are too close to residential areas. Salisbury are aware of this as this isn't the first attempt at this. Other attempts failed as there wasn't enough motivation to drive it. I think they'll be more supportive of it if they didn't have to spend any money on it. GenReaper and I agree that (if the Parks site falls through) we should look at the motocross club in Gillman (behind sims metal).

Once I get enough interest, I will be drawing up a proposal on the club and approaching several council's and businesses, and I will place an add in the local messenger.

Swanny, what shop are you talking about (I don't have one. I'll be happy to point you in the Complete Hobbies direction)

It won't be a bad idea to talk to Hobby Habit. When I was there a couple of weeks ago, there were a few guys with Xrays and Hong Nors that can't race there and may be interested in joining our club, but I may have to change the coversheet to my petition
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Thought you might have been connected to the shop. Guess I was wrong.

Gillman would be good. By the Parks site, do you mean the site Hobby Habit used to run on before they built their indoor track? I went there once for a look (before I moved back here, so it was a couple of years ago) and don't remember there being too much in the way of power there. I think the racers needed a car battery to run off and a generator was used to run the lights. The building had 240V. The track belongs to another club (at the time Hobby Habit leased it) but I don't know who you'd have to speak to about it.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Swanny, this old track http://users.esc.net.au/~oblivion/rc...oad_action.zip

Hope Glen dont mind me linking it to his video.
The track is unused and in need of some fresh Nitro action.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

That area has more than enough room for a well planned off road track!

That particular layout (IMO) would be great, just needs a few tonne of dirt, and a few jumps!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah its a good layout, and IMO with some dirt and some elbow grease and sweat it could be a great facility to run the cars at.
Plenty of space and most stuff already is there.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

GenReaper, that's the track I was talking about, located at Parks Community Centre.

Here it is on Google Maps:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...&t=k&z=18&om=1

Look in the top left corner.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

first off, the parks raceway (aka MRCCA / model radio car club adelaide) is too small for 1/8 racing. even a 1/8 tourer had troubles getting around and it was really designed for 1/10 nitro and elecy (perfect for elecy, a lil small for 1/10 nitro but still good)

2nd, i live in that area and last time i checked a road is destined to be put right through there although things do change.

3rd - council put restrictions on MRCCA regarding times they could/could not run. this is why HH only ran electric on saturday nights and not nitro (nitro was mrcca run, on sunday) - the houses are right nearby and would not be impressed with night racing.

99% of people will pipe up with "YEAH!!! LETS BUILD A CLUB!" but as soon as hard work or actually organising shit is involved they all whistle innocently and look the other way. everyone says they want it but are too lazy to put their best foot forward, and most are tight arses who want everything for free whilst offering nothing in return.. the bulk of the workload ALWAYS gets dumped on a very small minority regardless of what ppl say prior. (i know that one from experience, many northerners wanted a track but none offered help in any way whatsoever)

littlehampton is the good part of an hours drive from the city and does well for itself.
MV is about 35mins, so those who bitch and moan about it not being close enough to them are usually the ones who only race 3 times a year anyway (not dedicated racers, just occasional visitors who again want everything next door to them but wont help)

anywhere in residential is a waste of time IMHO. too many rules and restrictions, you need to move out to locations where there is nobody living nearby to complain as these are areas that have councils who want growth.

having the location close to you for your own convenience is not the way to go about organising the track, you need to find locations perfect for the club even if it means driving 25mins.

its funny how ppl spend 45min stuck in traffic on the way to work and the same again to get home, but refuse to spend 30mins driving for a day of fun.

either way, before you can do anything you really need to form a NPA with 10mil liability cover, THEN you can start spending $ on rostrums, track and other stuff (without including the $1.5k - $8k on a timing system)
Old 08-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have run 1/10th nitro at the parks and thought the track was a great size for it. the track area is fairly big but not huge. ive never run 1/8 off road so i can comment on what size track they need. but its is a decent sized area.
Any way i have run on alot of different size tracks over too many years to even remeber and the best surface i have ever run on by a long shot was gawler river loam with sump oil on it. hardly any tiyre wear exellent grip and never broke up over alot of use.
the only problem witht his is the use of sump oil is not like by the epa
But seriously this is the best surface coming from someone that been in the hobby/sport longer than 5 minites .
Also alot of european tracks are using astroturf over just the jump area too stop them braking up and the rest of the track could be the usual dirt.
Glenn brugen maybe able to help in this area too as he built the mitchell park track and has been in the hobby for a long time
Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes true that Glen, that is also why we are considering Wingfield near the 3Star motorcross track, no one to bitch and moan there.

Im ready to get my hands dirty and a few of my local basher mates are two, but yeah generaly ppl talk big but when it gets time for the blisters they nick off and expect it handed to them on a plate with little or no work.

Most of us have the contacts for getting bobcats and dirt and the place actualy made, but we need the numbers to get approval first.

Thanks for your input, i know that you have seen the hard work that others do not see. Your advice is much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.